HLCinSC Apr 19, 2014 @ 4:22pm
Why are there so many random comments lately?
I've noticed a lot of random comments posted by people on forums (especially in the help &tips) that say pointless things like "hi" or "123". At first I just assumed it was people going for progress in the pillar of community or whatever badge, but lately I've been seeing more of it by all sorts of levels of users that already have the badge. My next conclusion was that maybe it's a friend of the OP trying to bump the topic for them. in all the cases I've checked out they were not friends on steam and in most cases they did not need bumping because they were actively being discussed or helped. Does anyone know what's behind this trend of pointless comments?

Here's an example of one earlier today http://steamcommunity.com/discussions/forum/1/558753803973542587/?tscn=1397949477
I've tried asking a few of them why they're posting nonsense but no one ever replies.
Last edited by HLCinSC; Apr 19, 2014 @ 4:24pm
< >
Showing 1-8 of 8 comments
Black Blade Apr 19, 2014 @ 4:23pm 
Trolls?
Or if i go with the worst case that i can think of
Its so test for bots that are working on to spam the forums in some point with phishing link
or
The computer learning the human Lagrange and soon going to take over the world :D:
or
Half Life 3 confirming :D:
Last edited by Black Blade; Apr 19, 2014 @ 4:27pm
HLCinSC Apr 19, 2014 @ 4:26pm 
Originally posted by Black Blade:
Trolls?
I thought that too, but usually trolls post something inflamatory to get you to react, this is a minor annoyance at best and most often no one ever responds to them making their attempt pointless.
You're all over the threads too helping people. Have you noticed this too or am I just losing it?
Last edited by HLCinSC; Apr 19, 2014 @ 4:26pm
Silicon Vampire Apr 19, 2014 @ 4:27pm 
Completion of the pillar of community badge is what I blame it on. whomever thought of that little task ought to have their head examined. You can tell they never moderated any forums before...
Black Blade Apr 19, 2014 @ 4:29pm 
Originally posted by thehaydencampbell:
I thought that too, but usually trolls post something inflamatory to get you to react, this is a minor annoyance at best and most often no one ever responds to them making their attempt pointless.
You're all over the threads too helping people. Have you noticed this too or am I just losing it?
added more there
Well i notice it ... but for a long time all ready.. and most of the time it is the badge.. or so it seem..
And if you talk abut the Level even someone 90+ can not have the community badge yet.. he may not notice it up to now and then found out he can get some free xp there
HLCinSC Apr 19, 2014 @ 4:29pm 
Originally posted by Silicon Vampire:
Completion of the pillar of community badge is what I blame it on. whomever thought of that little task ought to have their head examined. You can tell they never moderated any forums before...
Yeah it's gotta drive you crazy whether your helping someone and need more info or your being helped and anticipating a response and see your little envelope notification turn green only to be a minor waste of time. I'm seeing it more and more though from users who already have the badge so I'm at a loss.
Black Blade Apr 19, 2014 @ 4:31pm 
Yeah it's gotta drive you crazy whether your helping someone and need more info or your being helped and anticipating a response and see your little envelope notification turn green only to be a minor waste of time. I'm seeing it more and more though from users who already have the badge so I'm at a loss.
also possible it guys that are trying to finish the badge 100% even that thinking they may get a level 3 from it or something
HLCinSC Apr 19, 2014 @ 4:32pm 
Originally posted by Black Blade:
added more there
Well i notice it ... but for a long time all ready.. and most of the time it is the badge.. or so it seem..
And if you talk abut the Level even someone 90+ can not have the community badge yet.. he may not notice it up to now and then found out he can get some free xp there

Yeah but look at that recent link I posted they both already had the badge. One thing I noticed about this one is that they have the same featured badge but that's probably just a coincidence and I'm being neurotic.
Black Blade Apr 19, 2014 @ 4:36pm 
Yeah but look at that recent link I posted they both already had the badge. One thing I noticed about this one is that they have the same featured badge but that's probably just a coincidence and I'm being neurotic.
Well i look at there community badge the one with the open profile.. as you can see he did some things he did not have too... now he may have done it for him self but may also want to finish the badge 100%
Maybe Mr.Mod (:D:) can look up if its his first post.. as that may show that they really only do it to finish the badge 100%
http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561198063181048/badges/2
And that Badge is CS:GO so its likey that many have it some many will show it

Looking in his past posts that i can see on these forums i can see its his first (that i can see XD)
http://steamcommunity.com/discussions/forum/search/?author=102915320

Also note that the badge is on the first 4 to show.. what means its the last one he got...
so i think he finish that badge only today.. maybe even then (Unlocked: 4 Feb @ 10:30pm)
Last edited by Black Blade; Apr 19, 2014 @ 4:39pm
< >
Showing 1-8 of 8 comments
Per page: 1530 50

Date Posted: Apr 19, 2014 @ 4:22pm