chuang Jul 12 @ 5:56am
Why Steam is the worst thing to ever happen to PC gaming
im one of the many internet users who don't have unlimited net allowance, a large demographic with full normal internet who are now being FORCED out of PC gaming because of steams project to make everything digital. the initiative by steam to move towards digital would be fine so long as people had the option to INSTALL from hard copies.

this means that when i buy a game i end up paying for it twice, once in terms of the copy and twice when you factor in the net usage. not only is it wrong because it's screwing everyone over, but the games companies are loosing money imo. allot of people have cut back on the amount of games they buy, or have stopped gaming altogether since compulsory digital downloads came in.

if this is just an effort to tackle piracy (which i suspect it is because steam doesn't actually do anything beyond automatic patches) it wont work. id imagine the number of people steam has pushed out of the market cancels out the money saved in terms of reduced piracy. in any case, they could have anti-piracy verification WITHOUT making you download the ENTIRE GAME ONLINE AFTER YOU BUY THE DISK.

these criticisms are drowned out by steams massive online advertising campaign. steam hacks all over the forums talking about ''muh steam is so cool'' when it doesn't even do anything. automatic mod/patch installation is nothing to celebrate, and most of the free games on steam are awful hipsteriesque indie type games ''muh indie games make me unique''.

steam is the worst thing that ever happened to PC gaming
Showing 1-15 of 215 comments
< >
eram Jul 12 @ 6:02am 
Steam is a broadband service.
chuang Jul 12 @ 6:14am 
no it's a project that forces all pc gamers to have a certain type of broadband, a type of broadband that isn't available to allot of people
eram Jul 12 @ 6:19am 
Like games and other apps there is a system requirement for steam.

System Requirements
Windows XP, Vista, or 7
512 MB RAM
1 Ghz or faster processor

Intel Mac, OS X version Leopard 10.5.8, Snow Leopard 10.6.3, or later.
Two-button mouse strongly recommended

1GB HD space (recommended)
Internet connection (broadband recommended)
Last edited by eram; Jul 12 @ 6:20am
Wolfman-RIP Jul 12 @ 6:20am 
DLC is by far the worst thing to happen to PC gaming
Discussions_Acc Jul 12 @ 6:23am 
Originally posted by chuang:
a type of broadband that isn't available to allot of people
And why is that? Mostly because certain ISPs rip you off.
Tribunus plebis Marcus Catonius (Banned) Jul 12 @ 6:30am 
It's not steams fault you live in an area that has ♥♥♥♥ty internet. Even though I do think its ♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥ to have to download from the internet when you have a disc, I am pretty sure that not all physical copies are like that.
Zapp3012 Jul 12 @ 7:06am 
If you buy a retail copy of the game, you can install from the disc instead of downloading it.

Make sure Steam is closed, then open a run window ( Windows key + R )
Type this
"C:\Program Files\Steam\Steam.exe" -install D:
Assuming you have Steam installed to the default location and your CD/DVD drive is "D", if not, change accordingly.
You may need to add (x86) after program files if you have 64bit Windows.
Last edited by Zapp3012; Jul 12 @ 7:09am
Vaemer-Riit Jul 12 @ 7:10am 
What is so hard to understand about patches?

Yes you can install steam games from the disk. The problem is the files are so out of date that you have do download updated files before running the game.

In some cases the entire file structure has changed (any game released before the steam pipe update) so the files on the disk can't be used at all.

Given these issues what do you expect Valve to do? Never update their games (or anyone else's) once the disks are pressed?
Forcen Jul 12 @ 7:16am 
Why Steam the Internet is the worst thing to ever happen to PC gaming for some unfortunate people

If Steam didnt exist, something similar would.
Last edited by Forcen; Jul 12 @ 7:17am
Ozz3605 Jul 12 @ 7:19am 
If you dont like it then just go away and don't come to forum to insult steam since WE are here because we LOVE steam.....go hate somewhere else...
Wolfman-RIP Jul 12 @ 7:51am 
Originally posted by Discussions_Acc:
Originally posted by chuang:
a type of broadband that isn't available to allot of people

They all do at this point.

Expansions use to be something made AFTER the game was released and normally came with massive chunks of content.

DLC is often made during that games development process and sold as day one DLC or as a season pass for later.
Last edited by Wolfman-RIP; Jul 12 @ 8:09am
Pheace [MCT] Jul 12 @ 8:02am 
Originally posted by Forcen:
Why Steam the Internet is the worst thing to ever happen to PC gaming for some unfortunate people

If Steam didnt exist, something similar would.

This. Steam isn't relevant here. It's the Digital age. If it wasn't Steam, it would've been something else. It's not even just PC games anymore, even Console games have digital stores, and post release patching now.

The future is towards a world where everyone is connected through internet, not the other way around.
Millie "Tails" Prower Jul 12 @ 8:12am 
It's not Steam's fault for you living In the place with ♥♥♥♥ty Internet... I have pretty fast Internet that can AT LEAST run a Team Fortress 2 server. You might as well COMPLETELY Ignore Steam If you think It's the worstest thing ever In PC gaming.
Discussions_Acc Jul 12 @ 8:18am 
Originally posted by Wolfman-RIP:
Originally posted by Discussions_Acc:
They all do at this point.
Oh, guess I must have missed how my ISP throttles my connection or charges me extra just because I use 300-500 GB each month. A few months ago I even used up 2 terabyte. Didn't seem to bother them.
Last edited by Discussions_Acc; Jul 12 @ 8:19am
Spawk Jul 12 @ 9:47am 
There's an option for people who have crappy internet. They're called consoles.
Showing 1-15 of 215 comments
< >
Per page: 15 30 50
Date Posted: Jul 12 @ 5:56am