R3DL1N3 Apr 23, 2013 @ 9:54pm
do not buy this simulator
if you buy this game wether on steam or through the Auran/nev website beware to update the default assets your will need to buy a "first class ticket" $12.99 AU to even be able to get your game upto date and if you buy the steam version as you can tell from the forum posts you will be well out of date and unable to play online with anyone online that does not have the steam version,

this company may have made the game engine but in no way support content players make for the game which in there terms and conditions for the game/DLS state they are allowed to use player created content in their furute product which they then sell for money. so you create content and upload to the download station and if your content is good enough to pass their supposed qualilty control they can/will use it in future products for their own profit.

also do not buy this game if you intend to play online as you will be disapointed there is 1 built in mp route/session that nobody plays and if you wish to join the popular sessions without buying a first class ticket enjoy leaving your pc running nearly 24 hours a day downloading a 1.5 GB route at 5kb/s which will if you take the most popular route take 15 days at your 100mb limit.

not to mention when you install the game you will have around 1300 assets that are out of date.

this company does not only sell you an outdated version of the game wether you buy through steam or not but to be able to use features described in the product description you will need to pay more
Showing 1-15 of 26 comments
< >
«Mega Sceptile» May 7, 2013 @ 7:09am 
Dude, shut up. If you want a sandbox-like train-sim that you can drive just about any train and download some for free on trainsim.com, or buy more from the steam store, or ANYTHING ELSE LIKE THAT! Well, whatever you say, it's still a pretty ok game. I don't care, some people do because they're like "Give me the latest technology, you nerd" while others are like "I don't care, give me the game because I want a sandbox-like game to play on", which RailSimulator can't give you, MSTS can't give you, and RailWorks can't give you. Have a nice day, SIR.
creepyface Jun 11, 2013 @ 2:27pm 
Originally posted by Trainman42:
Dude, shut up. If you want a sandbox-like train-sim that you can drive just about any train and download some for free on trainsim.com, or buy more from the steam store, or ANYTHING ELSE LIKE THAT! Well, whatever you say, it's still a pretty ok game. I don't care, some people do because they're like "Give me the latest technology, you nerd" while others are like "I don't care, give me the game because I want a sandbox-like game to play on", which RailSimulator can't give you, MSTS can't give you, and RailWorks can't give you. Have a nice day, SIR.
you sir are a complete liar. railsimulat...railwor... ♥♥♥♥ it, the train simluator that i OWN has sandbox-like train driving with free roams and set-your-own quick drives that you can completly ignore that WORKS. ive been looking around these forums and it sounds like a pretty ♥♥♥♥ty game. also my sim has a workshop.
KiwiGal Jun 11, 2013 @ 4:20pm 
Telling folk not to buy is incorrect. It is up to each individual to do some research, try a demo, watch on YouTube, etc and then make up their own minds.
I have had trainz for 8 years and have purchased from Auran (N3V now) and I spend many, many enjoyable hours creating routes/sessions. It's pretty cool watching the AI drive the trains to their destinations in the route you have made.

Railsimulator does have sandbox etc, but Trainz surveyor (for me) is a lot easier to master in creating routes/sessions. The first class ticket is worth it for the good download speed from the
download station and is a decent price. The lifetime ticket works out cheaper in the long run.
The station has 1000's of uploaded content from other players which you do not pay for.
The 1300 out of date assets update does take a while and best done overnight or while you are doing something else.
Backups are good too. If you copy your UserData "local" and "original" folders (which have downloaded plugins from the station and user created routes/sessions)to another drive they can just be pasted back if you do a reinstall and your content is back. Simple stuff really

With games of this intricate type there will be hiccups along the way, I have had my fair share,
but with experimenting/researching and asking for help on the trainz forum they eventually get solved.
It could be the game/some content/computer or user causing the problems.
Bottom line is, if you really DO enjoy something and even though frustrated, you put the EFFORT to make it work rather than giving up so quickly.
R3DL1N3 Jun 11, 2013 @ 6:08pm 
Originally posted by KiwiGal:
Telling folk not to buy is incorrect. It is up to each individual to do some research, try a demo, watch on YouTube, etc and then make up their own minds.
I have had trainz for 8 years and have purchased from Auran (N3V now) and I spend many, many enjoyable hours creating routes/sessions. It's pretty cool watching the AI drive the trains to their destinations in the route you have made.

yes watching the ai deliver good etc is cool however other games such as train sim 2013 have much easier scripting and creating routes/sessions is not too hard on train sim even i have managed it.
Originally posted by KiwiGal:
Railsimulator does have sandbox etc, but Trainz surveyor (for me) is a lot easier to master in creating routes/sessions. The first class ticket is worth it for the good download speed from the
download station and is a decent price. The lifetime ticket works out cheaper in the long run.
The station has 1000's of uploaded content from other players which you do not pay for.
The 1300 out of date assets update does take a while and best done overnight or while you are doing something else.

and as you state yourself, if you want a reasonable download speed not a speed that is capped at 5 kb/s AND limited to 100 mb every 24 hours you need to buy a download ticket server bandwidth is not expensive these days so there is not really much excuse. price is irrelivent as when i buy a game i expect a certain amount of content as decribed without extra cost.

Originally posted by KiwiGal:
Backups are good too. If you copy your UserData "local" and "original" folders (which have downloaded plugins from the station and user created routes/sessions)to another drive they can just be pasted back if you do a reinstall and your content is back. Simple stuff really


last time i installed trainz which has now been uninstalled was just before SP1 and after installing SP1 it pretty much had to update EVERY asset including those that were "built in" meaning that they needed updating otherwise you get errors in game wether single player OR online, again with 100mb limit throttled at 5kb/s a very painfull task!

Originally posted by KiwiGal:
With games of this intricate type there will be hiccups along the way, I have had my fair share,
but with experimenting/researching and asking for help on the trainz forum they eventually get solved.

this is the point i tried to make in my op this game has had plenty of issues since it was released yet none of them not even the ones such as checking and then closing the timetable and reopening it later in a session trigger the session to be complete even if you have not moved the loco (i posted this back in early 2012 with screenshots) and being told after posting on forums oh it is ok just dont close the timetable...... that is a real help for a broken game.

Originally posted by KiwiGal:
It could be the game/some content/computer or user causing the problems.
Bottom line is, if you really DO enjoy something and even though frustrated, you put the EFFORT to make it work rather than giving up so quickly.

again this is a game/simulator yes you can expect the odd bug but not constant bugs that you need to find work arounds when you not only have to pay for the game and any DLC you may like but also to be able to download at even a semi reasonable speed from the DLS.
KiwiGal Jun 11, 2013 @ 10:40pm 
My advice to folk thinking about buying Trainz is to go the the trainz forum and have agood read, for a lot better insight into the game.
creepyface Jun 12, 2013 @ 10:25am 
Originally posted by KiwiGal:
My advice to folk thinking about buying Trainz is to go the the trainz forum and have agood read, for a lot better insight into the game.
gimmie a link
KiwiGal Jun 12, 2013 @ 1:56pm 
Phileksa Jul 24, 2013 @ 6:12am 
What I see looks like fanboyz yelling at people with genuine critiques.

I've seen some genuine critiques of Towns. I've made a few of my own. Towns is a great game, and well worth playing, but arguably I'm a fanboy of the game.

I could be a fanboy of Trainz. My main interests are content creation (mostly fictional routes) and perhaps even a bit of transportation simulation game.

It does seem curious to me the game itself is forty USD and yet I still have to pay extra money for updates and to access a workshop? Wouldn't they at least have the good graces to include a "free year" in the price?

If this was a forty dollar copy of Norton Antivirus, would you expect them to, in addition to the forty dollar initial purchasing cost, then require you to pay an annual subscription fee in order to get antivirus updates? Or would you expect more of their actual model: Purchase the software, get free updates for a certain period, and then pay to get the new ones?

It seems strange to me they have a workshop, but they won't allow free access to it. It seems even stranger they won't allow the workshop to be on Steam.

But I probably don't have to worry terribly much, as my favoritist locomotive of all time are the E8 A-B sets. For my game, I'd want to give them custom colors.

But every train simulator I've found have somehow been missing this particular set of locomotives. I guess, in spite of being the most elegant locomotive ever built, it's just not all that well liked. In spite of it being pretty much the only surviving, operational example of the E series, because it gives a very very very good impression to potential customers, it's just not something most railfans like.

And if your content creators are like the other paranoid content creators I've encountered, even if I could find the E8s, I'd end up being unable to redecorate it. Ya'll would make them next to impossible to redeco.

"Just get this ten thousand dollar program if you want to repaint it. And take forty years of college in order to learn how to use the software. It's cheap and easy!"

Virtual model railroading can be neither cheap nor easy as long as they require such expensive, complex tools.

Look, sweetheart, this ain't like home remodelling. Sure, a table saw is $100.00 and up, but at least you don't need a degree in computer science to use it. Absolutely, a good drill costs more than $300.00, but aside from it getting caught on something and throwing you across the room, it's not exactly rocket science to use it. And like home remodelling, fitting the pieces together shouldn't require a ♥♥♥♥ tone of skill and experience that often requires tons of education and skill!

The alternate train games seem to have it in their heads it's okay to make building the virtual railroad at least as costly and much more difficult than building a real layout. And I wouldn't be surprised if, while this one is lower cost, it happens to require the most expensive tools available to create anything in/for/arround it.
Signor Dildo Jul 24, 2013 @ 8:22am 
I just got this game via the IndieGala promo and after a hefty 7 gig download I have to wait god knows how long for it to download DLCs using Aurans own internal content download at a slow speed and it also mentions a few hundred content updates which I imagine will increase the download wait time a lot bloody more.

I was wondering why they just don't use Steam for content delivery, but after reading the forums it seems they'd rather charge people to uncap their own download services instead. I'm glad I picked this game up (along with others) on the cheap, as if I'd forked out full price I'd be quite ♥♥♥♥ed off.

The Train Simulator/Railworks guys use Steam for all their official content downloads and thus I get decent download speeds, no caps and more importantly, the game is fully patched when I initially download it, and I don't have to fork out extra for this.
Signor Dildo Jul 24, 2013 @ 8:29am 
And the downloads just failed. Bloody brilliant.
SkEyE Jul 29, 2013 @ 7:54pm 
I'm surprised Valve has allowed this program to be sold on Steam.

Steam's success has been largely due to establishing a certain quality of user experience. Multiple layers of DRM above Steam are quite unpopular, and Valve themselves has had issue previously with some software that didn't allow its DLC to be sold through the Steam storefront.
Games "automatically" staying up-to-date is also one of the big selling points of the Steam experience.

Here we have a game that keeps an outdated version of itself on Steam servers in order to facilitate a rather bizarre business model on the part of the Trainz publisher. To get updates you must have them download through their servers which have their bandwidth artificially choked in order to sell you tiers of "high-speed download" access.

Hey Auran! I already pay monthly for my broadband service, thanks!

Why should you make efficient update packages of small size when the more "pain" the user feels from agonzingly slow downloads the more likely they are to subscribe to your bandwidth unlocker service?

I find their monetization model insulting. If this was a truly quality piece of software these sort of shenanigans would never be necessary.
Last edited by SkEyE; Jul 29, 2013 @ 7:55pm
aroT Drips Jul 31, 2013 @ 7:13am 
It's true, this game bought through steam = no online.
Col. Jack O'Neill SG-1 Aug 3, 2013 @ 11:27am 
Well that really sucks, I'm thankful I got this in the indiegala bundle and I didn't even pay for the bundle to have this game, it sounds like the publishers are THIEVES, you know, DISHONEST......

Having said that, The game isn't really descriptive on the store page, do you have currency in the game, and deliver goods to make more money and establish a business like euro truck simulator 2 or something?

When I saw this game in the bundle I was thinking, oh I'll look into that... because I was just considering buying the versions of railroad tycoon on STEAM.... then I saw multiplayer mentioned, and I thought, oh, a game I can play interactively with family in-house, then I took a look at all the DLCs, and made a mental note about getting all that if the game is solid.. then I clicked Community Hub and read these threads... ... All this happened before I ever installed the game.

Full disclosure on the internet keeps slaying these thieves, just look at the game formerly known as "The War Z"
HA GAY Aug 3, 2013 @ 7:02pm 
train simulator 2013 is always the best
Showing 1-15 of 26 comments
< >
Per page: 15 30 50