Darkest Dungeon®

Darkest Dungeon®

View Stats:
Satoru Feb 11, 2015 @ 8:49pm
[MOD] Less Combat Zoom+Faster Combat Tweak - Updated Compatibility
Less Combat Zoom+Faster Combat Tweak

* Fix for Riptose not procing

I know some people have an issue with the way the camera zooms in during combat. This mod addresses this by removing the zoom effect on these specific instances:

Ranged Hits
Melee Hits
Skills

I kept the zoom animation in for crits because I think when those happen it should be more impactful.

{LINK REMOVED}

You'll need to take these files and on a Windows PC place them into:

C:\Program Files\Steam\steamapps\common\DarkestDungeon\scripts\timescript

On a Mac place them

~/Library/Application\ Support/Steam/SteamApps/common/DarkestDungeon/_osx/Darkest.app/Contents/Resources/data/scripts

Overwriting your existing files. It may be prudent to make a backup of these files just in case!

As far as my minimal extremely lazy testing goes, you retain all the information necessary. Damage taken, Stress taken, stun, buff, debuffs all 'seem' to trigger and show correctly when unzoomed.

The mod has the side effect of making combat resolve slightly faster

Reverting the mod

Re-verify your game cache in Steam

Disclaimer

Like all mods, and especially ones done by lazy people like me, this may cause all sorts of unintended and terrible things to your save file/party/computer/universe.

Use at your own peril!!

Any future updates will likely destroy the mod. You 'should' be able to reapply it after any patch but again, I'm lazy, so who knows if it'll work!

Please do not submit any bug-reports to the devs if you have this mod enabled! They have enough things to worry about than a mod breaking the game

This is not an official Red Hook Studios product or product modification, and Red Hook Studios Inc. is not responsible in any way for changes or damages that may result from using the mod. Furthermore, “Darkest Dungeon” and the Darkest Dungeon logo are trademarks of Red Hook Studios Inc. All content in the game is Copyright Red Hook Studios Inc. All rights reserved.

What? You like the zoom effect but want it to be less?

http://steamcommunity.com/app/262060/discussions/4/618463738388704162/

My new mod FasterCombatZoom makes the zoom/animation effects for the same 3 things above 50% faster!
Last edited by Satoru; Jun 8, 2015 @ 11:27am
< >
Showing 1-15 of 24 comments
DarkCat Feb 12, 2015 @ 3:21am 
Sounds interesting, thank you for your effort! :)
Ervin Feb 12, 2015 @ 7:39am 
Seems to work nicely. It would be possible to keep the camera movements and just speed everything up as well I suppose. But I like it how you made it :).
Satoru Feb 12, 2015 @ 7:54am 
Originally posted by Ervin:
Seems to work nicely. It would be possible to keep the camera movements and just speed everything up as well I suppose. But I like it how you made it :).
I was trying that initially but it got fairly complicated because of the way they do the zoom in. I'm still working on that though.

I'm not sure how good it would be. if you keep the zoom but speed it up, I think it might get super disorienting of having things zoom in and out all the time too quickly. If I get something to work I'll throw it out there and let people decide if it's worthwhile.
Last edited by Satoru; Feb 12, 2015 @ 8:11am
Gordon21 Feb 14, 2015 @ 5:16am 
could you do a standalone "Faster Combat"? as i actually like the zoom
dkidd201 Feb 14, 2015 @ 11:49pm 
hey does this work on a MAC OS or do you have a version that does? it is really slow on my MAC and no I cant play on PC, graphics cards not high enough.
Satoru Feb 15, 2015 @ 6:50am 
This just speeds up combat it's not going to make the game go faster graphically
Zendar Feb 15, 2015 @ 9:37am 
Wow. Thank you so much for this mod. However, anyway to speed the stress texts?
Xureman Feb 17, 2015 @ 4:59pm 
Originally posted by dkidd201:
hey does this work on a MAC OS or do you have a version that does? it is really slow on my MAC and no I cant play on PC, graphics cards not high enough.
You can modify these files on Mac too. The path you want it:

Originally posted by Satoru:
This just speeds up combat it's not going to make the game go faster graphically
I briefly looked at your files and saw that they have less content (text and settings) than the ones I have on my Mac. Are these files that short on Windows or was there a version change? I will try to apply a diff to my files tonight and see if that works.

On a related note, have you had a chance to look if it's possible to speed up the walking speed in dungeons? Or even skip an attack animation entirely? (I guess this wouldn't work on AOEs where the damage is shown as part of the animation?)
Last edited by Xureman; Feb 17, 2015 @ 5:01pm
Satoru Feb 17, 2015 @ 5:03pm 
Originally posted by Xureman:
Originally posted by dkidd201:
You can modify these files on Mac too. The path you want it:

I briefly looked at your files and saw that they have less content (text and settings) than the ones I have on my Mac. Are these files that short on Windows or was there a version change? I will try to apply a diff to my files tonight and see if that works.

On a related note, have you had a chance to look if it's possible to speed up the walking speed in dungeons? Or even skip an attack animation entirely? (I guess this wouldn't work on AOEs where the damage is shown as part of the animation?)

Basically what I did was to rip out all the 'pre-animation' stuff in the file. The file basically describes how the camera is supposed to work when a specific event happens. All I did was to rip out all the zoom in/out/pan etc an left in the "go back to the default view" part of the script. That's why it's smaller. Basically the camera doesn't move at all. Admittedly it's a bit of a 'scorched earth' way of doing it. But it was easier than trying to tweak the individual camera moves/tilts/pans which was gettting arduous.

Also check out my new mod. It makes the text bubbles appear and disappear faster!

http://steamcommunity.com/app/262060/discussions/4/618453594764775540/
Last edited by Satoru; Feb 17, 2015 @ 5:05pm
Xureman Feb 17, 2015 @ 11:46pm 
Basically what I did was to rip out all the 'pre-animation' stuff in the file. The file basically describes how the camera is supposed to work when a specific event happens. All I did was to rip out all the zoom in/out/pan etc an left in the "go back to the default view" part of the script. That's why it's smaller. Basically the camera doesn't move at all. Admittedly it's a bit of a 'scorched earth' way of doing it. But it was easier than trying to tweak the individual camera moves/tilts/pans which was gettting arduous.

Also check out my new mod. It makes the text bubbles appear and disappear faster!

http://steamcommunity.com/app/262060/discussions/4/618453594764775540/
OK, now I understand. Thank you for explaining!

Again, huge "Thank you!" for the mods - both of them! I installed both on my mac and they run flawlessly. Just did a quick run through the "tutorial" battles and they were incredibly fast and nice. Thank you again, this is what will make the game much nicer for me to play!
Satoru Jun 4, 2015 @ 5:39pm 
Upated to v2 which makes the mod compatible with the latest update

Remember horrible Edlrich Gods made this mod so it may break something :P
Best mod ever, my hero! No more combat zooming.
Last edited by Squirting Elephant; Jun 8, 2015 @ 6:44am
Ugh.. retribution skill is broken with this mod, he never uses riposte.
Satoru Jun 8, 2015 @ 10:48am 
Originally posted by Silver:
Ugh.. retribution skill is broken with this mod, he never uses riposte.

Hmmm let me take a look at that. I think I know whats wrong, should just be a quick fix and test
Last edited by Satoru; Jun 8, 2015 @ 11:24am
Satoru Jun 8, 2015 @ 11:28am 
Ok I update the file to proc Riptose properly. Download it again please and let me know if its ok.

It should proc for both melee and ranged attacks
Last edited by Satoru; Jun 8, 2015 @ 11:30am
< >
Showing 1-15 of 24 comments
Per page: 1530 50

Date Posted: Feb 11, 2015 @ 8:49pm