This game is now available on Steam!

Thanks for your help in getting this game selected for distribution via Steam. More information including a link to the Steam store page can be found below.

Greenlight is being retired. For more information on how to submit games to steam, refer to this blog post.
Higurashi When They Cry
Chaos_Alfa Jul 4, 2014 @ 9:24am
Updated Sprites Announced
"And lastly, we’re proud to announce our special surprise–Higurashi will be getting updated sprites for its upcoming Steam release! The new sprites are being illustrated by Kurosaki from Caramelbox, who previously worked on Uhou Renka. We will be releasing Higurashi by the chapter, so we hope to have the first chapter of the updated release out by the end of year! We’ll also be selling the new version on our website as well. Those who buy the new version from our website will also receive Steam keys for the game. The old version with the original sprites will continue to be sold on our website as well, and all current and future owners of this version will also receive the updated translation at no additional cost."

Source: http://blog.mangagamer.org/2014/07/03/announcements-from-anime-expo-2014/

A preview of the sprites has been included with the announcement.
< >
Showing 1-15 of 67 comments
Chaos_Alfa Jul 4, 2014 @ 9:31am 
Originally posted by Lithium Hydroxide:
Honestly I prefer the PS2 art, but that might just be because I read through Higurashi the first time using the PS2 sprites, so they seem more 'official' to me. Either way, I'm psyched to see that Mangagamer is putting their all into this release! Can't wait!

I have read Higurashi with the original art first. I would say I prefer the original sprites over the PS2 sprites, because the original ones seems much more expressive and less stiff compared to the PS2 sprites.

From what I have seen of the new sprites I do like them a lot. The only thing which I find a bit jarring about them is the extra focus on the breasts of the characters. It seems like Mion's cup-size has increased and for some reason her shirt has crawled under her breasts, that is not how cloth physics work. This problem can also been seen in other art from Kurosaki.

Orignal Mion Sprite
http://img1.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20130807221600/whentheycry/images/1/14/Mion_schoolgirl_evillaugha1.png

PS2 Mion Sprite
http://img2.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20120627224841/whentheycry/images/5/58/Mion_Matsuri1.png

Steam Release Mion Sprite
http://blog.mangagamer.org/wp-content/uploads/2014/07/Higurashi_002.png

Edit:
I have done some thinking. I discovered there are two reasons why I think the extra focus on the breast in the character designs is jarring. The first is because it is not in line with the older art of Higurashi and the second one is because Higurashi isn't an eroge (an erotic visual novel). As a game developer myself I think it is important to make design choices with a substantiated reason in mind. When designing an eroge for example it is fitting to make the breasts of characters more pronounced. You want to make the player sexual excited and want them interested in f*cking the characters. In Higurashi this isn't the case. This makes the extra focus feel out of place.

I get the feeling that Kurosaki is just drawing in the style he/she is used to draw in for the eroges he has worked on without thinking for what kind of visual novel and story the sprites are going to be used.
Last edited by Chaos_Alfa; Jul 5, 2014 @ 6:12pm
Yeah man, I'm not so sure about the new sprites too... but at least they are working harder this time!
SPAAAAAAACE Jul 4, 2014 @ 1:20pm 
Looks amazing in my opinion.
I just can't stand like everything about Mion. Oh well, I'll wait to play the complete thing... it would be awesome if they are going to put even some CGs! But still, the thing that I really want is the voice acting... too bad I have to play the japanese PS2 game for it.
Chaos_Alfa Jul 5, 2014 @ 10:09am 
Originally posted by Poa Compressa AXEL ~Sabrutin:
I just can't stand like everything about Mion. Oh well, I'll wait to play the complete thing... it would be awesome if they are going to put even some CGs! But still, the thing that I really want is the voice acting... too bad I have to play the japanese PS2 game for it.
I hope they will change it to something more in line with the older sprites, but I'm not holding my breath.

There is a change that I will get used to it when reading the Steam version, but currently I just feel as if the new Mion isn't the one I knew and she has been replaced by a look-alike.
Last edited by Chaos_Alfa; Jul 5, 2014 @ 10:53am
Yirba Jul 5, 2014 @ 10:16am 
This is just Kurosaki's style, so I doubt it will be "fixed". Just imagine that Mion's shirt is tucked under her bra. The problem resolves itself then.

Originally posted by Chaos_Alfa:
I have done some thinking. I discovered there are two reasons why I think the extra focus on the breast in the character designs is jarring. The first is because it is not in line with the older art of Higurashi and the second one is because Higurashi isn't an eroge (an erotic visual novel). As a game developer myself I think it is important to make design choices with a substantiated reason in mind. When designing an eroge for example it is fitting to make the breasts of characters more pronounced. You want to make the player sexual excited and want them interested in f*cking the characters. In Higurashi this isn't the case. This makes the extra focus feel out of place.
I get the feeling that Kurosaki is just drawing in the style he/she is used to draw in for the eroges he has worked on without thinking for what kind of visual novel and story the sprites are going to be used.
Higurashi is designed to almost parody eroge / bishoujoge. The whole style of it is meant to remind you of eroge, and lure you into a false sense of security. In that sense, drawing the sprites like those in eroge does make sense.

it would be awesome if they are going to put even some CGs!
The original version of Higurashi does contain one CG (two, if you count the one only accessible through the Music Room), so I should hope at least that one will be included.
Last edited by Yirba; Jul 5, 2014 @ 10:21am
Originally posted by Yirba:
Higurashi is designed to almost parody eroge / bishoujoge. The whole style of it is meant to remind you of eroge, and lure you into a false sense of security. In that sense, drawing the sprites like those in eroge does make sense.
That's not an excuse to draw ret*rded sprites. Let's put away the fact that this sort of sexualization is laughable by itself, the point is that the sprite is just bad. And I'm not 14, I don't think that Mion is f*ckable just because her clothes avoid physics.

It's just wrong, Rena is somewhat realistic, and Mion completely not. Come on, what he/she will do next? Drawing Satoko with an exaggeratedly big chest?

The original version of Higurashi does contain one CG (two, if you count the one only accessible through the Music Room), so I should hope at least that one will be included.
The ps2 version has a lot of CGs, I hope to see something similar.

And lol at Steam for the censoring of r e t a r d e d.
Last edited by blasphemous rumours; Jul 5, 2014 @ 11:13am
Yirba Jul 5, 2014 @ 12:13pm 
That's not an excuse to draw ret*rded sprites. Let's put away the fact that this sort of sexualization is laughable by itself, the point is that the sprite is just bad. And I'm not 14, I don't think that Mion is f*ckable just because her clothes avoid physics.
That's just personal preference, though. Those who prefer the original sprites can play using the original sprites. Those who prefer the new sprites can play using the new sprites. I don't see the problem.
If we use that reasoning, then why you bothered answering in this thread? We are here to discuss this new style! :P

We have seen two sprites. And so far, one looks like the ps2 sprite but with small changes (Rena), while the other one doesn't fit the character at all... I really like Mion's personality but with that face it just can't be her.

And hey, of course it's my opinion, I'm the one saying those things.
Last edited by blasphemous rumours; Jul 5, 2014 @ 1:07pm
Anyway, let me add a thing.

Here is a comparison of all Rena sprites: http://37.media.tumblr.com/3fce8a0a7335887b82bd380360b8c7a1/tumblr_n86dljFyaQ1s5ri8lo1_1280.png

Thoughts?
Yirba Jul 5, 2014 @ 2:58pm 
If we use that reasoning, then why you bothered answering in this thread? We are here to discuss this new style! :P
Chaos_Alfa complained that the sprites look like they belong to an eroge. I replied saying that the sprites are supposed to look like they belong in an eroge. So I don't understand the complaints that sprites that are supposed to look like they belong in an eroge look like they belong in an eroge.
Bangesh Jul 5, 2014 @ 3:56pm 
THEY MUST HURRY THE ♥♥♥♥ UP I CAN'T WAIT ANYMORE AFTER THESE SPRITES
AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHhhh

I want to take it home~
Chaos_Alfa Jul 5, 2014 @ 6:29pm 
Chaos_Alfa complained that the sprites look like they belong to an eroge. I replied saying that the sprites are supposed to look like they belong in an eroge. So I don't understand the complaints that sprites that are supposed to look like they belong in an eroge look like they belong in an eroge.

Maybe eroge isn't the right word and I should have said nukige and all-age visual novel.

I'm not very bothered with the sprites overall or the breast size, even though they seem to have increased, which is not in line with the older art. I just think it is a bit strange to make the character(s) breast more pronounced by making the characters constantly be putting their shirt under their breasts. I don't think Mion will be the only character to do that, because it is a returning element in Kurosaki's art.

By having read the older version of Higurashi from MangaGamer I have gotten a certain familiarity and attachment to Mion and the other characters of Higurashi. I never got the impression those characters where the type to want to display their breast constantly. This is the part which I find a bit clashing with the image I have of the characters and their new implied characterization.

I know that most of what I deduce from the new sprites is a subjective opinion and I assume the dissonance I'm experience will probably go away when I start reading the new version of Higurashi. By reading it I will be able to better place the new sprites in the story and overwrite and expand my current vision of Higurashi and its characters.

I'm not super driven to want to see the art changed or anything, I just wanted to express how I felt.
Last edited by Chaos_Alfa; Jul 5, 2014 @ 6:43pm
Magusverborum Jul 6, 2014 @ 7:37am 
Originally posted by Chaos_Alfa:

By having read the older version of Higurashi from MangaGamer I have gotten a certain familiarity and attachment to Mion and the other characters of Higurashi. I never got the impression those characters where the type to want to display their breast constantly. This is the part which I find a bit clashing with the image I have of the characters and their new implied characterization.

^This. This is exactly it. I feel like these are different characters to the ones that I know and love, even if they look similiar, and frankly I don't particularly like it. I just hope it doesn't get any worse.
Chaos_Alfa Jul 6, 2014 @ 12:04pm 
Good news. It seems Doddler, MangaGamer's programmer is going to try to offer the option to switch between the original and updated sprites for the Steam release.

Doddler: "For those curious, I plan on having the ability to switch between the original and updated sprites for the steam release of Higurashi."

Source: https://twitter.com/The_Doddler/status/485087802690789376
Last edited by Chaos_Alfa; Jul 6, 2014 @ 4:09pm
< >
Showing 1-15 of 67 comments
Per page: 15 30 50