The Binding of Isaac: Rebirth

The Binding of Isaac: Rebirth

[AB+|Rep] External Item Descriptions
 This topic has been pinned, so it's probably important
Wofsauge  [developer] Mar 18, 2020 @ 3:22pm
FAQ - Frequently asked questions
Is this mod compatible with Repentance / Afterbirth+?
Yes. Both DLCs are implemented in this mod and have seperate description packages.

Is there a Rebirth or Afterbirth Version?
Yes. you can get those here:
https://moddingofisaac.com/mod/1079/external-item-descriptions

Do mods disable Achievements?
Mods don't disable achievements, as long as you have killed moms Foot (Endboss of stage 6) at least once on the savefile. Kills on challenges or dailys dont count.

Quoted from the wiki:
" Playing with any enabled mod prevents any achievements from being unlocked.
If you have beat Mom at least once, achievements will no longer be locked."

How to install this mod
Simply press the "subscribe" button on the Workshop page. This will automatically download and install the mod. Just start your game again afterwards, and the mod will be listed in the "mods" menu in the main menu where it can be activated/deactivated.

You need to have all DLCs of this game installed! Workshop mods only work with Afterbirth+

The mod doesnt work correctly
  1. Try pressing F2 ingame to unhide the descriptions.
  2. Check if the mod is listed and enabled in the "mods" menu. See the question below if that is not the case.
  3. Disable all other mods you have installed and see if one of those caused any errors.
  4. Check if your run currently is affected by "Curse of the Blind". On default, descriptions arent displayed when the curse is active.
  5. Check if the debug Console displays any error message (How to open the debug console[bindingofisaacrebirth.gamepedia.com])
  6. Execute the "Verify Game cache files" function in steam for the Game. Step by step guide can be found here Verify Game Cache Files [inxile.zendesk.com]
  7. Cleanly reinstall the mod:
    1. Unsubscribe from the mod.
    2. start the game and go into the main menu (this will uninstall the mod properly)
    3. close game
    4. subscribe to the mod (this installs the mod again)
    5. start the game and see if that fixed the issue

Mods are not visible in "mods" menu after subscription
if the mod is not visible in the mods folder even after you subscribed to the mod, it could be caused by the following:

1. You dont own all DLCs (Afterbirth and Afterbirth+). All Steam Workshop mods require those two DLCs to be installed in order for them to work correctly.

2. Your Windows / Mac Username does contain special characters, that are not part of the standard english alphabet. Since the game is not able to interpret those correctly, it cant find the mods folder. In order to fix this issue, you sadly have to create a new Windows User on your computer which name only contains english characters.

How do i edit the config?
The simplest way to edit the config is to use the mod "Mod config Menu".

Alternatively, you can change the config manually following these steps.
Windows
1. With Repentance: steamapps\common\The Binding of Isaac Rebirth\mods\external item descriptions_836319872\
1. With AB+: ..\Documents\My Games\Binding of Isaac Afterbirth+ Mods\External item descriptions\
2. Open "eid_config.lua" with any texteditor
3. Edit the Config file
4. Save the file
5. Play the game

To reset the config to default delete all the "save[NUMBER].dat" files from the following folder:
1. With Repentance: steamapps\common\The Binding of Isaac Rebirth\data\external item descriptions\
1. With AB+: ..\Documents\My Games\Binding of Isaac Afterbirth+ Mods\External item descriptions\

Linux / Ubuntu
Same as aboth but the path is: /home/%YourUsernameHere%/.steam/steam/steamapps/workshop/content/250900/836319872

How do i enable other Languages?
Simply change the "eid_config.lua" file found in the mod's resources folder. See the question aboth if you need help with locating that file.
Edit the Config setting ["Language"] to the language you want (for a list of supported values, look into the config file.)

How do i enable luadebug?
--luadebug is a launch option of the game that allows mods to use all features of the system, granting it full file system access, internet access and other potentially harmful features.
In EID, it is used to access the log.txt file of the game in order to read effects of TMTRAINER items.
Because --luadebug can be abused for malicious intends, we highly advise you to only enable it if you know what you are doing and trust all the mods you have installed!
How to enable --luadebug:
1. Open Steam.
2. Click on the "Library" tab near the top of the screen.
3. Right-click on "The Binding of Isaac: Rebirth" and select "Properties".
4. Click on the "General" tab on the left.
5. At the bottom of the screen, there will be a box to specify "Launch Options".
6. write the following into the box: --luadebug
7. start the game
Last edited by Wofsauge; Feb 1, 2022 @ 12:42pm
< >
Showing 1-15 of 92 comments
Wofsauge  [developer] Apr 22, 2020 @ 6:51am 
FAQ Got updated to describe more reasons on why the mod doesnt work.
Flyrime Apr 15, 2021 @ 10:31am 
Hello !
The mods are not visible in "mods" menu after the subscription
I have all the DLCs (Afterbirth, Afterbirth and Repentance) and I don't have special characters in my username, it's just Flyrime :/
What can I do ?
Wofsauge  [developer] Apr 15, 2021 @ 10:47am 
The Mods menu for Repentance should not work at all right now because its deactivated by the game devs. You need to wait a few days till its enabled again
Flyrime Apr 15, 2021 @ 10:56am 
Originally posted by Wofsauge:
The Mods menu for Repentance should not work at all right now because its deactivated by the game devs. You need to wait a few days till its enabled again

OH ok, i'm so stupid xD
But it can't work without the Repentance items ? like just show the other ?
log being spammed with
[External Item Descriptions] Error in "PostRender" call: ...h+ Mods/external item descriptions_836319872/eid_api.lua:450: attempt to index a number value
Wofsauge  [developer] Apr 18, 2021 @ 4:38am 
Originally posted by 3,000 Decibel Ass Cheek Clap:
log being spammed with
[External Item Descriptions] Error in "PostRender" call: ...h+ Mods/external item descriptions_836319872/eid_api.lua:450: attempt to index a number value
Weird... What other mods do you have installed? and does the mod still display informations for items not relevant to the mods you ahve installed?
Wofsauge  [developer] May 15, 2021 @ 10:34am 
Updated FAQ to have the new Config file path for Repentance in it
quadSad May 16, 2021 @ 9:36am 
in console "EID was not able to load the font!!!!!! please contact the mod creator" Why?
Wofsauge  [developer] May 16, 2021 @ 9:39am 
Originally posted by quadSad:
in console "EID was not able to load the font!!!!!! please contact the mod creator" Why?
Please check, if the following file is present:
\Steam\steamapps\common\The Binding of Isaac Rebirth\mods\external item descriptions_836319872\resources\font\eid_default.fnt

If not, delete the "external item descriptions_836319872" folder and start the game again in order to reload the files
quadSad May 16, 2021 @ 9:42am 
This file is in the folder. The mod does not work on the latest version. If I put the old version for AB+ everything works
quadSad May 16, 2021 @ 9:53am 
reinstalling the game and mod does not help

Please check, if the following file is present:
\Steam\steamapps\common\The Binding of Isaac Rebirth\mods\external item descriptions_836319872\resources\font\eid_default.fnt

If not, delete the "external item descriptions_836319872" folder and start the game again in order to reload the files
Wofsauge  [developer] May 16, 2021 @ 9:57am 

Did you delete the folder as i said, or did you just unsubscribe and subscribe again?

Last edited by Wofsauge; May 16, 2021 @ 9:57am
quadSad May 16, 2021 @ 10:07am 
did both. also writes the error "file does not exist: ..mods / external item descriptions_836319872 / resources / font / eid_default.fnt

Did you delete the folder as i said, or did you just unsubscribe and subscribe again?
quadSad May 16, 2021 @ 10:08am 
I even manually installed the mod, this file is there, but I write this error

Wofsauge  [developer] May 16, 2021 @ 10:11am 
did both. also writes the error "file does not exist: ..mods / external item descriptions_836319872 / resources / font / eid_default.fnt

Are you sure its ..mods and not "../mods" ? And on what Operating system are you (windows7,8,10, Linux)?
< >
Showing 1-15 of 92 comments
Per page: 1530 50