ARK: Survival Evolved

ARK: Survival Evolved

SurvivalPlus - Open Beta
 This topic has been pinned, so it's probably important
Tao  [developer] Jan 2, 2017 @ 5:50am
About tameable animals
As many people are confused which animals will be available for taming we are providing a list here:

Peaceful Tame
  • Dodo
  • Equus
  • Hyaenodon
  • Iguanodon
  • Jerboa
  • Mesopithecus
  • Otter
  • Pegomastax
  • Phiomia
  • Reindeer / Stag
  • Ovis
  • Troodon

Bait Tame (For Hunter Profession)
  • Direwolf

Nest Building (Wild Fertilizd Eggs)
  • Archaeopteryx
  • Camelsaurus
  • Compy
  • Dilo
  • Dimorphodon
  • Ichthyornis
  • Microraptor
  • Parasaurus
  • Terrorbird
  • Vulture

Possible future tames:
  • Ichthyosaurus
  • Various small dinos
Last edited by Tao; Sep 23, 2017 @ 7:31am
< >
Showing 1-15 of 251 comments
Lycanshifter Jan 3, 2017 @ 6:25am 
is this it? list is very small no water or flying creatures what so ever??
Lycanshifter Jan 3, 2017 @ 6:26am 
any possible way to get all the other features of this mod and somehow get rid of the creatures restrictions?
Tao  [developer] Jan 3, 2017 @ 7:05am 
Flying creatures are disabled by design for both reasons of realism and PVP balancing. The same applies for water creatures, however we will likely enable the dolphin as it would make sense ;)

In the future we will work on a system that allows admins to configure which dinos are tameable, however we need to wait for our other systems to be ready for that to work (All dinos have to be prepared to work with our taming methods before we can make them configurable)
how does the direwolf bait tame work? does a wolf have to be near by or does one just spawn when you set the bait down
Tao  [developer] Jan 3, 2017 @ 3:01pm 
You have to set down the bait near a wolf, wait for him to eat it, this will increase his trust level and decrease his aggression. This is repeated until the wolf trusts you and no longer attacks you, then you can proceed to feed it like a peaceful tame until it is yours !
Will Diplo be tameble, i mean i feel like it was really made to be a friend to humans so. If theres going to be a way to pick and choose what dinos you can and cant tame thats cool to, but i love my sauropods. All the other stuff about this mod sounds neat though
Tao  [developer] Jan 4, 2017 @ 4:32am 
Currently there will be no way, but once we have a config file it will most likely lay fertilized eggs in nests
cylon8 Jan 4, 2017 @ 5:25am 
its funny how this is supposed to be priomitive ank everyone is asking for regular ark tames ;)
Tao  [developer] Jan 4, 2017 @ 6:11am 
Everyone has their own taste :) We're trying to make this a survival game, so riding on a rex has no place in our plans - but once we make it configurable it's up to the server admins :D
N0ma13.unikrn.com Jan 4, 2017 @ 12:05pm 
Really any creature that's intelligent enough should fit this mod. It doesn't have to be about 'making it seem hard', if you're going for realism. Base it on intelligence, not 'survival balance'.
Tao  [developer] Jan 4, 2017 @ 12:22pm 
We're actually basing it on how these animals supposedly behaved. A good model for most dinos are birds. Sadly this is not only an issue of intelligence. There are many factors to consider when looking at if an animal can be tamed. Elephants for example are super intelligent, and the only way to "tame" them is to beat them into submission, which does not instill loyalty, but fear.

Due to the fact that there is no way to know which dino could have really been tamed we are making educated guesses based on currently living wildlife. In addition to that we are considering our balancing ideas, as our main goal is to make this a survival game, as this is what we think ark lacks currently.
Raz Wolfhome Jan 5, 2017 @ 4:32am 
I have an idea for a taming method, t least for some of the carnivores. What about thsi:
You get a fertilized egg from a wild dino, hatch it into a pen, once it hatches it gains a new bar, similar to the topor bar, but for its status of activity. Like if you take it hunting, the bar increases and it becomes happy, and trusts you more, if it falls too low it will become wild and far more dangerous to handle. If you breed it for several generations, the bar will decrease at a slower rate.
The basic idea is domestication through breeding. Add a wild dino into a gen 5 domesticated, and you might end up back with a fight to keep the thing from nibbling on your giblets. This could allow for the "taming" of sabre toothed tigers and some of the reptiles, but you might not be able to ride it before several generations in, if at all.

The main idea comes from what has been seen with modern alligators, crocs and the larger felines. Keep them happy, fed, and active, and you got a friend... Fail in it, and you might just become the prey instead.
Last edited by Raz Wolfhome; Jan 5, 2017 @ 4:33am
Tao  [developer] Jan 5, 2017 @ 5:14am 
Amazing idea Razkil! Going to add that to our ideas list for the hunter!
This is going to take some major work to implement, but we are planning a trust system for tamed dinos anyway (you don't feed them, they run away and go feral), combined with our custom taming for the wolf we might be able to do something here!
Raz Wolfhome Jan 5, 2017 @ 4:07pm 
Yeah, that really sounds good. Modern/real animals tend to do exactly that, just look at the wild dogs you hear about from some countries. I was actually thinking of something, now you mention the hunter class. What about certain animals being able to track and follow the scent/trail of prey? I havent played much lately, just started anew and found a crocodile-esque thing. Maby if domesticated, it could wound and cripple larger prey, akin to a pack of wolves could single out a target from a herd.

This could also be used alongside something like a hidden "confusion meter", for some of the larger animals. Like when the meter gets higher they will tend to become indecisive and wont be able to focus on a single target. This would allow wolves to single out, and kill a single mammoth, or even a rex. Some animals could be somewhat resistant, or even immune to the effect.

The Allosaurus could use a similar tactic, one goes in from the front, growling and roaring, while the others attack from the sides to cripple the enemy, then they pull back, circle, and one goes for the kill. Just an idea, could probally work for any creature which hunt in packs.

I would also LOVE to see something like compy being a passive pack tame. The player could make a basket of sorts which they put down, and allow the group to eat, the group now turn friendly for the time being, and the taming bar apear, as the player hunts with them, and care for them, they become more and more attached to him/her, and eventually they bond entirely. Like a mutual beneficial relationship of sorts.

I am probally just ranting at this point, but i hope you can use some of it.
Tao  [developer] Jan 5, 2017 @ 4:09pm 
I really love the ideas, going to save them for our dino overhaul! I cannot promise what we will end up implementing as it is hard to estimate how much work it will be, but depending on existing taming methods and AI overhauls by then we will do our best to make these things feel realistic!
< >
Showing 1-15 of 251 comments
Per page: 15 30 50