Cities: Skylines

Skyve v3.3.2.1 [Stable]
 This topic has been pinned, so it's probably important
T. D. W.  [developer] May 24, 2023 @ 2:47am
macOS Installation Guide
Skyve - macOS Installation Guide

Follow These Instructions to Install Skyve:

1. Open Terminal
IMPORTANT - you must press Return (enter key) after pasting each line of code into the terminal.

2. Copy and paste this line of code into Terminal:
3. Next, copy and paste this line of code into Terminal:
brew install --cask --no-quarantine wine-devel

3.1 -> getting an error after step 3? Copy and paste this line of code into Terminal:
brew tap homebrew/cask-versions
3.2 -> Then, copy and paste this line of code into Terminal:
brew install homebrew/cask-versions/wine-devel

4. Then, copy and paste this line of code into Terminal:
brew install winetricks

5. After download and installation is complete, copy and paste this into Terminal:
WINE=wine64 winetricks settings fontsmooth-rgb mackeyremap=both

6. Open Cities: Skylines as normal.

7. Go to the Content Manager, search for, and enable Skyve

8. Once enabled, a button will appear that says "SKYVE" Click this and a Finder window will open with the Skyve.exe file inside. Double-click to open.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Having Issues?

Skyve.exe might not open with WINE automatically. Right-click on it, hover over "Open With" and click "Other..." and select Wine Devel from the list of applications.

The first time you attempt to run Skyve, macOS security features will likely block the application from running. To fix this, do the following:

On macOS Ventura (13.0) or later:
Go to System Settings -> Privacy & Security -> scroll down and click “Open Anyway”

On macOS Monterey (12.6.5) or earlier:
Go to System Preferences -> Security & Privacy -> and click “Open Anyway”

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Still Having Issues?

Get help and support on T.D.W.'s Village[discord.gg] Discord server.

Context - What Am I Installing?

In order for Skyve to work on macOS, we're using WINE[dl.winehq.org], a compatibility layer software that allows macOS and Linux users to run Windows applications (.exe files) without having to install a Windows operating system (step 3).

In order to install WINE correctly, we're using Homebrew[brew.sh], a command line package manager for macOS and Linux that makes it easier to install the software (step 2).

After installing WINE, the commands in steps 4 and 5 enable font smoothing and macOS key mapping for an optimal user experience.

updated: May 25, 2023
Last edited by T. D. W.; May 25, 2023 @ 1:56pm
< >
Showing 1-15 of 37 comments
ale_donkey May 27, 2023 @ 8:15am 
This works perfectly for me. Thank you!
yordanmarselev May 27, 2023 @ 4:39pm 
Hey there! I get stuck on step 5 with the following error:
~ % WINE=wine64 winetricks settings fontsmooth-rgb mackeyremap=both
warning: taskset/cpuset not available on your platform!
------------------------------------------------------
warning: Your version of wine is no longer supported upstream. You should upgrade to 6.x

-----------
running on m1 mac
T. D. W.  [developer] May 28, 2023 @ 12:22am 
@yordanmarselev I guess try removing wine and downloading the newer version, the most recent one is 8.X
antzkillr May 30, 2023 @ 12:35am 
@T.D.W. @yordanmarselev I earlier installed Skyve and the App on my Windows laptop and was so impressed, I was determined to make it work on my 27” iMac .

During installation, I also got the "taskset/cpuset not available on your platform! … you should upgrade" error message.

I finally got the App to work by changing Step 3 to:

" brew install --cask --no-quarantine wine-stable " (WITHOUT quotes)

I'm no programmer or computer wiz, but from what I can tell, wine-stable appears to load a more current version of Wine from Homebrew than wine-devel. No error message, the install went smoothly and the Skyve App appears to be working as it should on my iMac.

The only glitch was that Skyve didn’t place a Shortcut on my Mac desktop, as it did on the Windows desktop. I did a workaround by creating an alias in the workshop folder and dragging the alias to the desktop. Did I miss something ?

I’m using macOS Ventura v13.3.1 (a)
Last edited by antzkillr; Jun 9, 2023 @ 2:54am
T. D. W.  [developer] May 30, 2023 @ 1:11am 
@antzkillr interesting, as for the shortcut, no it doesn't create a shortcut on mac, so nothing's wrong there
marcus2159 May 30, 2023 @ 12:17pm 
After the first step I get this ==> Checking for `sudo` access (which may request your password)...
Password:
T. D. W.  [developer] May 30, 2023 @ 12:33pm 
@marcus2159 you probably aren't an administrator, it's maybe asking for an admin's password.
Rixi May 31, 2023 @ 1:00pm 
Thanks for this great guide. I also had to use the altered line of code that antzkillr posted on 12.6.5. Monterey
Last edited by Rixi; May 31, 2023 @ 1:00pm
uzzy May 31, 2023 @ 2:27pm 
it wont work for me idk why :(
T. D. W.  [developer] May 31, 2023 @ 2:36pm 
@uzzy what's not working?
antonpogeee Jun 9, 2023 @ 12:16am 
can you please just make a seperate mac version as i cant use wine
A.Es Jun 11, 2023 @ 5:10am 

This is the message I receive after trying to enter step 5 code. I then get the can't verify download is free from malware message. I try to Open Anyway in security and privacy but nothing happens. Any suggestions please? Thank you.
uzzy Jun 13, 2023 @ 1:33pm 
Originally posted by A.Es:

This is the message I receive after trying to enter step 5 code. I then get the can't verify download is free from malware message. I try to Open Anyway in security and privacy but nothing happens. Any suggestions please? Thank you.
you might need to go through all the procedures again and restart ur mac beforehand - it took me three times before wine was downloaded and i was able to install this mod application so it does work just a pain in the a**:steamfacepalm:
bombernbr5 Jun 15, 2023 @ 9:19am 
Originally posted by antzkillr:
@T.D.W. @yordanmarselev I earlier installed Skyve and the App on my Windows laptop and was so impressed, I was determined to make it work on my 27” iMac .

During installation, I also got the "taskset/cpuset not available on your platform! … you should upgrade" error message.

I finally got the App to work by changing Step 3 to:

" brew install --cask --no-quarantine wine-stable " (WITHOUT quotes)

I'm no programmer or computer wiz, but from what I can tell, wine-stable appears to load a more current version of Wine from Homebrew than wine-devel. No error message, the install went smoothly and the Skyve App appears to be working as it should on my iMac.

The only glitch was that Skyve didn’t place a Shortcut on my Mac desktop, as it did on the Windows desktop. I did a workaround by creating an alias in the workshop folder and dragging the alias to the desktop. Did I miss something ?

I’m using macOS Ventura v13.3.1 (a)

This worked for me as well. Thank you for the fix. I had to uninstall Wine-Devel as well to make this work.

Used the following to accomplish uninstall.
brew uninstall --cask wine-devel
David Jul 1, 2023 @ 6:10pm 
I gave it a shot, but this terminal & WINE business is beyond my capabilities. Would be nice to be able to keep playing Skylines with all these wonderful apps, what a bummer.
< >
Showing 1-15 of 37 comments
Per page: 1530 50