Left 4 Dead 2

Left 4 Dead 2

Freezing Point (Campaign + Survival)
 This topic has been pinned, so it's probably important
Kyle H. McCloud  [developer] Mar 15, 2022 @ 11:09pm
Possible Crash Fixes - Conflicts with VSLib and SourceMod
Hey gang, I keep getting reports of crashes and I thought I'd offer some help.

I can't speak for every crash, but a lot of crashes are probably caused by a conflict with VSLib, which stands for V.Script Library. It's a scripting mod that's often used by other mods, mostly mutations and server plug-ins.

If you're getting consistent crashes, then DISABLING the following kinds of mods could help, especially if you restart L4D2 after:

- Third-Person Shotgun Sound Fixes
- Custom Infected Models & Populations
- Custom Mutations
- HD Upgrades for Models & Textures
- Server Plug-Ins
- Other Mods Using VSLib

Please understand these are not guaranteed solutions.

UPDATE JUNE 25: It's also come to my attention that finishing this campaign requires you to play as the L4D1 Survivors. Folks using a mod or server that lets you play as any Survivors on any map should make note.

To be clear, Freezing Point does NOT use VSLib or any other scripting mod -- it's 100% vanilla under the hood. I don't use these mods and I unfortunately don't have the time to learn exactly how they work.

However, someone shared the following error message:

*FUNCTION [unknown()] scripts/vscripts/VSLib/EasyLogic.nut line [5358]

If anyone who's knowledgeable about this stuff has suggestions for what I can do to fix this crash, please let me know.

Apparently VSLib's EasyLogic system handles "ChatTriggers, save data, and game event notifications" among other things. Freezing Point does use a fair number of in-game logic entities because of all the randomization, but to my understanding it's nowhere near Source's limit.

Again, knowledgeable people should share ideas if they have them. Thank you!
Last edited by Kyle H. McCloud; Dec 21, 2022 @ 10:09pm
< >
Showing 1-5 of 5 comments
Trunten Mar 16, 2022 @ 1:27pm 
Rayman1103 might be able to help
76561199156620001 Mar 31, 2022 @ 5:40pm 
Bro before the map didn't bug me but now before I load the game and the game closes bro what do I do? Please help me D:
Kyle H. McCloud  [developer] Jun 24, 2022 @ 10:34pm 
UPDATE JUNE 25: It's also come to my attention that finishing this campaign requires you to play as the L4D1 Survivors. Folks using a mod or server that lets you play as any Survivors on any map should make note. Thanks to the user "Helrika" for pointing this out.
HankMcTankerton Dec 21, 2022 @ 8:03pm 
After testing on this campaign and other custom ones, mods used to add more variety to common infected can cause crashes. The one I was using added L4D1 and 2 zombies together, and added a few custom models.

The mod specifies it'll work "as long as populaton.txt is not changed". My guess is that it has something to do with that, as the crashes were random throughout the campaign, and resolved after disabling the mod.

Kudos on the map! Enjoyed it just as much on my second playthrough!
Kyle H. McCloud  [developer] Dec 21, 2022 @ 10:08pm 
@Hank the Tank

Thanks for such a helpful reply! I'll update my post above.

Freezing Point does use L4D1 commons, so I wouldn't be surprised if that can cause a crash with infected mods. L4D1 commons weren't added as a feature until the Last Stand update, so most custom campaigns don't use them. I wonder if they're a little buggy under the hood...
Last edited by Kyle H. McCloud; Dec 21, 2022 @ 10:10pm
< >
Showing 1-5 of 5 comments
Per page: 1530 50