• RandomColor
  • RandomHue

Names

• None
  • Districts
  • London
  • Roads

And what's planned:

• Names matching the colors ("Red Line", "Yellow Line"...)

What else would you like to see?
< >
Showing 1-15 of 21 comments
Ho Ho Po Aug 2, 2018 @ 9:52pm 
I'd love to see something simular to what I manualy do, which is a 3 digit number where the first number is related to the district / hub it comes out of and the second and third number are just counting (eg 401, 402, and 403 all run in the same area).
Otherwise love the mod so much, thanks for making it!
Eyalonsky Sep 6, 2018 @ 7:28am 
i would like to see an option to set the color by rgb or hex
ZuluPower Sep 11, 2018 @ 5:20pm 
Hello TaradinoC, first of all a big Thank You for your work!

If possible I would find very useful to have a plain and simple naming option with the generic name of the vehicle followed by "line" and incremental numbers with two of three digits, as in the following examples : "Train line 01" to 99 ; "Tram line 01" to 99 ; "Bus line 001" to 999.
SkyyBluCloud Sep 24, 2018 @ 2:32pm 
It would be awesome if there was an option to rename stations/stops automatically.
TaradinoC  [developer] Dec 8, 2018 @ 6:29am 
Originally posted by Eyalonsky:
i would like to see an option to set the color by rgb or hex
Hmm, you mean for changing lines one at a time?

If you want to change the colors used by the automatic themes, you can edit the .txt files that the mod creates in Steam\steamapps\common\Cities_Skylines.
m37_m37 Dec 29, 2018 @ 11:51pm 
Theme: Stations. Since stations have names now, choose the two stations most distant from each other - in cartesian distance, not in distance travelled. Thus, the X-Y Line. Where a line is set up to double back on itself (where most stations are served in both directions) it will find the endpoints or in rare conditions the almost-endpoints, which happens in real life too when lines are extended but it's still called by the old terminals. Where you have a real loop (no stations served both ways) it will pick the "longest diameter" pair, which is ok too.

Where the player has given a station a custom name, it will be used automatically (if it's a "naming station" based on distance)
Last edited by m37_m37; Dec 29, 2018 @ 11:53pm
TaradinoC  [developer] Jan 3, 2019 @ 5:24am 
Originally posted by m37_m37:
Since stations have names now, choose the two stations most distant from each other - in cartesian distance, not in distance travelled.

Yes! This is another one I've thought about. I actually wrote a bunch of code to find the endpoints, but I still need to port it to Unity.

I went with a different distance metric, though: the stations are joined together to form a polygon, and then I measure the shortest path between two stations that stays inside the polygon. I think it gives better results for lines that curve back on themselves, like some of these examples[imgur.com].
CanadianWpg Jan 13, 2019 @ 1:06am 
I'd like for a colour theme version using your endpoint distance idea. For example, having short / local routes as random hues of say green, medium length (such as neighbouring districts) as hues of blue, and long (city-wide) routes in hues of red. Ideally, there would be a config for setting the colour thresholds, so that as the city expands the config can be adjusted for larger distances and then just hitting refresh on the lines. Just a thought I had from reading the last suggestion.
Rena Apr 4, 2019 @ 6:33pm 
Name the lines by landmarks they pass by, especially if (at the time) no other line passes them. Eg "Nuclear Plant Line" for one going by the power plant, or "Bridge Line" for one that crosses a river.

Very long lines with few stops could have "Express" added to the name as a heuristic. (You can always rename it if that's not what you wanted.)

For colors, look for colors in the street and building names. eg a line that runs down Red St would likely be colored red.
Wolfsauge Oct 24, 2019 @ 1:00pm 
Please have a look at the Wes Anderson color palettes. They are alike enough to be pleasing on the eye and different enough so it's easy to tell them apart.

Two examples: https://wesandersonpalettes.tumblr.com/ and https://epijim.uk/code-snippets/wes-anderson/
TaradinoC  [developer] Nov 7, 2019 @ 6:01am 
Originally posted by Rena:
Name the lines by landmarks they pass by, especially if (at the time) no other line passes them. Eg "Nuclear Plant Line" for one going by the power plant, or "Bridge Line" for one that crosses a river.

Love it.

Very long lines with few stops could have "Express" added to the name as a heuristic.

FWIW, this is done for some specific cases already:

Districts scheme: bus/metro lines with 2 districts and <= 4 stops become "#123 ThisDistrict / ThatDistrict Express"

London scheme: all lines with <= 4 stops have "Express" added at the end

For colors, look for colors in the street and building names. eg a line that runs down Red St would likely be colored red.

Love this too!
EvilSheep May 13, 2020 @ 6:49am 
I'd like to see customizable prefixes/suffixes on the numbering different types of lines (e.g., "1" for tram routes, "1A" for bus routes, "M1" or "U1" for metro lines, and so on). These numbering schemes could be decoupled from line naming themes.
codewitch Jan 14, 2021 @ 4:35am 
Template Codes for names.
codewitch Feb 17, 2021 @ 11:24pm 
Originally posted by TaradinoC:
Originally posted by m37_m37:
Since stations have names now, choose the two stations most distant from each other - in cartesian distance, not in distance travelled.

Yes! This is another one I've thought about. I actually wrote a bunch of code to find the endpoints, but I still need to port it to Unity.

I went with a different distance metric, though: the stations are joined together to form a polygon, and then I measure the shortest path between two stations that stays inside the polygon. I think it gives better results for lines that curve back on themselves, like some of these examples[imgur.com].

Perhaps integrating with "addresses and names mod" in some fashion here?

Originally posted by asterisk11231:
Template Codes for names.
Particularly

Originally posted by TaradinoC:
Here's what AutoLineColor Redux has so far:
  • CategorisedColor
  • RandomColor
  • RandomHue
[...]

I'm not really sure why I'd use RandomHue..., but I support:
1) color-based names (based on a swatches list, I can provide if you'd like)
2) "random category color" - maybe it's already doing it and I didn't see enough lines to get it working but when I tried category color it just seemed to be the defaults. It probably should say in parenthesis or "no change - vanilla behavior"
TaradinoC  [developer] Feb 20, 2021 @ 9:02pm 
I'm not really sure why I'd use RandomHue...

The name is a bit misleading, I think. (It must have seemed like a good idea at the time...)

For RandomHue, buses are always blue, metros are always green, trains are always orange, but there's a list of possible colors for each (blues.txt, etc.) and it'll pick one randomly from that list.

2) "random category color" - maybe it's already doing it and I didn't see enough lines to get it working but when I tried category color it just seemed to be the defaults. It probably should say in parenthesis or "no change - vanilla behavior"

For "CategorisedColor", what's supposed to happen is that buses are always picked from a list of pale colors, metros from a list of bright colors, and everything else from a list of dark colors. And instead of picking randomly, it basically cycles through the list.

What's it doing for you instead? The same color for all lines?
< >
Showing 1-15 of 21 comments
Per page: 1530 50