Don't Starve Together

Don't Starve Together

More Armor
noerK  [developer] Oct 4, 2017 @ 4:33am
[FEATURE] add helmets
http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561198149883202 wants helmets. I like it :D

im just thinking about proper materials for the upgrade
< >
Showing 1-14 of 14 comments
Coola101 Oct 4, 2017 @ 3:33pm 
well football helms equally strong defence wise as log suit, what about an upgrade could be bone shards and hounds teeth, maybe thulecite for an upgrade, maybe gold, who knows! hope this might help :D
MissMayhem2389 Oct 5, 2017 @ 5:17am 
its a good idea
noerK  [developer] Oct 5, 2017 @ 6:56am 
hey :) first off: thanks for the support.

thulecite is too expensive IMO and there are already armor-items using it. The problems in comparison to the log suit are:

wood and grass are easy harvested, renewable, and not valuable. It was easy to find something that just had a bit more value.

the football helmet itself already needs pigskin which is way harder to acquire than wood, grass, boneshards or stones. So we need something that is a bit harder to get or at least comparable to pigskin and it must fit somehow. i was thinking of:

- bees (living)
- gears
- marble
- moonstone
- gold (ofc)

i wanted to use the following for the spear upgrade:
- hounds teeth
- stinger

any thoughts & opinions?
nekit Oct 6, 2017 @ 2:29am 
Also, you should create a "series" of it, like, you take 15 flowers, a helmet and some twigs and you create a Flower Helmet, and it have her buffs, the same armor but will regenerate sanity at the day, but slower than the original that you create with 12 flowers (i just forgot the name), and you do it with the other things too, like the armours, in that way you would not worry about not using gold to upgrade ur helmet because you already used in armour, because you will have something like, flower armor, flower helmet, etc... :)

(i know its stupid, not original *i dont know really*, not a good idea, but cmon, its not a bad idea too right?)
Last edited by nekit; Oct 6, 2017 @ 2:30am
Coola101 Oct 6, 2017 @ 5:41am 
gears are really common in the ruins, keep that in mind, in the late game gears become candy in a candy store, or in this case a hole full of bad times, in the early game most players wil only invest gears into ice boxes and flingo-matics, once they have all that set up then they will us gears, so by naturual progression in dst, the "clockwork helm" should be one of the last helmet upgrades
älcheminty Oct 6, 2017 @ 2:34pm 
How about you make a spear with hound teeth that gives you hunger back when you attack somthing.
To craft it would be 4 sticks, 10 hounds teeth, 1 red gem
It should do as much as a tentacle spike.
It would be usefull in caves especially if you find a rock lobster.

You could also change it so rather then giving hunger it gives health.
So, what you think of that?
nekit Oct 6, 2017 @ 2:53pm 
Originally posted by DildoBits:
How about you make a spear with hound teeth that gives you hunger back when you attack somthing.
To craft it would be 4 sticks, 10 hounds teeth, 1 red gem
It should do as much as a tentacle spike.
It would be usefull in caves especially if you find a rock lobster.

You could also change it so rather then giving hunger it gives health.
So, what you think of that?
good idea, but that recipe isnt balanced with the stats the weapon itself will give to you, i think it can be more harder to make it, givin hunger or health back is too good
Lux Oct 8, 2017 @ 2:54am 
Gears become a lot easier to get after the first winter. I'd say that the helmets would require rare and expensive items to compensate for durability or defence. For example; 4 Down Feathers, 6 Gold and 6 Hound Tooth. Which would have 90% defence and 3x durability of a Football Helmet. Down Feathers are risky to get, due to having to kill a Moose or Mooslings, which are very dangerous to go against if you aren't experienced. And even then, they don't drop that many of them. But they are pretty common in the world and aren't that hard to deal with after you learn how to kite them. My idea is just to make the helmets cost expensive items that are hard to get instead of something that can be found by basically going into the Ruins. And even then, you can reset the ruins by killing the Fuelweaver, making Gears renewable. You can also get gears by making the statues of the corresponding clockwork and hammering it down on a full moon. I don't think gears are THAT great of an idea for armor, but maybe for weapons it could work. For example; 3 gears, 1 volt goat horn and 1 spear. Make a 'Automated Spear' which would do same damage as Tentacle Spike and have 300 durability, with an extra if you get struck by lighting while holding it, you wouldn't lose hp or get overcharged, so it would work like Eyebrella, Rain Hat, Rain Coat, etc. Of course this might be hard to code, I haven't tried coding myself yet, but I'm looking into it. I'm pretty sure for the conductivity attribute it's just 1 line of code that you need to insert. Also I might be over thinking this and just writing an incredibly long comment, because I just like the mod. Aside from that, this was my idea and response to others on the discussion too. :dsfight:
Lux Oct 8, 2017 @ 3:24am 
Originally posted by noerK:
hey :) first off: thanks for the support.

thulecite is too expensive IMO and there are already armor-items using it. The problems in comparison to the log suit are:

wood and grass are easy harvested, renewable, and not valuable. It was easy to find something that just had a bit more value.

the football helmet itself already needs pigskin which is way harder to acquire than wood, grass, boneshards or stones. So we need something that is a bit harder to get or at least comparable to pigskin and it must fit somehow. i was thinking of:

- bees (living)
- gears
- marble
- moonstone
- gold (ofc)

- hounds teeth
- stinger

any thoughts & opinions?

Just a note, Thulecite isn't THAT expensive, the problem is that it's hard to get and it's not as renewable as other materials. And the armor can't be repaired making it not as viable. Don't get me wrong Thulecite armor is extremely tough and amazing, but the armor itself is expensive, not thulecite. And most of the time I use the thulecite for the amulets and staffs and not armor. Thulecite isn't a bad idea, but it isn't good either. Because there is already thulecite set. But technically you COULD mix the set with another armor type. For example Night Armor. Night Armor is not hard to get, but a bit annoying, it's down side is that it drains your sanity. You could make Thulecite Suit combined with Night Armor to make a kind of 'super armor' which would have benefits and disadvantages. Of course being insane for some people might be more of a benefit than a down side. The main point is, Thulecite isn't that expensive, you can still get more Thulecite by resetting the Ruins. Also Broken Clockworks drop thulecite fragments sometimes too. Moving on from Thulecite talk. Living Bees doesn't seem that good of an idea, I mean like it can work, but I don't like the idea. I already explained Gears in the other response I made. Marble is renewable and there is already a marble suit, so marble helmet wouldn't be that bad of an idea. Moonstone is generally not used for anything, if at all anything. The only real things it gives use for is marking out spots of the map that are important, fixing the moon altar or making the Lazy Deserter. Moonstone is quite rare, but it still can be found and it also is somewhat renewable due to meteor strikes.

Spears are pretty meh. You use them early game, but after that you move on to Spikes or Night Swords. Stingers can be used for booster shots, blow darts, etc. So I don't think they would work. Hound Teeth could work if done right, and it could work with a slight damage buff and slight durability bonus. For spears I would recommend a bit more rarer items like Steel Wool, Tentacle Spots and Slurper Pelts. They of course sound like a very weird idea, but what else is Slurper Pelts used for than Belt of Hunger. Steel Wool for what? A Brush and better Saddle? Tentacle Spots are used for a bit more useful items like Wickerbottom's book, Rain Coat, etc.

I wanted to respond another time to explain further, due to me enjoying the mod and liking the idea of better helmets and spears. And of course I would love to help the mod dev to further make his/her mod better! :DSTchester:
Coola101 Oct 8, 2017 @ 8:22am 
Yeah, Thulecite, can be renewable with the aid of construction amulet and deconstruction staff, but annoying to get, if you try getting it, *gazes at the hordes of nightmares, splumonkeys, and ruined clockworks. If you aren't great at kiting, or planning like me (says the guy with nearly 300 hours in dont starve as a whole) In my opinion, the dst ruins, is something you take on as a team (unlesss your one of those fuelweaver day 1 kill players) seeing as you can easily get stunlocked during the nightmare phase, but if there is a thulecite football helmet upgrade, It should have an active abillity that impowers you and other players nearby (only against npcs). personally I almost never go underground in dst, since I have bad experience with being stun locked by splumonkeys, in a corner, on depth dweller nest, So I generally avoit the ruins as a whole, since I don't have much inspiration to go down there other than maybe the houndius shootius, but really, thats all I might go down there for. thulecite is fairly common, just heavily guarded. Also just about anything involving stone is renewable, in dst at least thanks to the meteors like said above. I would love moonrock helmet seeing as how useless the recource is in the early game, in my opinion at least, but I have a question, what approach are you taking? armor tiers, or different sets with distinguished boosts. for example live bees could be a good idea in the distinguished boosts option, because there could be a say 20% chance to spawn a bee when damaged (by mob, not hunger, poison, crafting, ect) moonstone could provide a defence against charlie, say 50% less darkness damage, or even thermal stone esc light range, that doesn't aid your sanity, like I said earlier: Thulecite could have a buff for nearby players of say 15% extra damage (per player wearing helmet), Marble could be the most defensive, and gold could decrease damage from ranged attacks by 25% and save you from lightning. I almost always have ideas, so if you need any, let me know...
Valerdi Oct 22, 2017 @ 4:02am 
How about the scale from the dragonfly? to make a Dragonslayer Helm
http://augoeides.world/wiki/images/c/cc/RevampedDragonSlayer.png
A little less cartoony and cooler lol it can have the following
- insulation
- fire immunity immune to catching on fire or heating up but will still take reduced dmg from fire based attacks
- eating raw all types of meats will be like eating them cooked
- regeneration like a hydra which is a type of dragon, have a hp regen

90% reduction with return dmg on being hit; hey dragons have spikes
https://vignette.wikia.nocookie.net/nyxbook/images/9/92/Red_Dragon.jpg/revision/latest?cb=20130707140530

I actually like the moonstone helmet but instead of it being call that why not make it a shadow or dark helm? something a dark knight would wear.
https://i.pinimg.com/originals/23/ee/5a/23ee5afc5502ce9ae114c042574982ce.jpg
http://pm1.narvii.com/6021/1f7da1cad13ac3da182f5042bef400f094261553_hq.jpg

following attributes can be
- decreases sanity when worn
- immune to all sanity reductions or immune to sanity auras when fighting mobs & bosses.
- Already Dark-where their sanity won't drop below 20% I hate fighting terrorbeaks >.>
- Feel the Dark Side- get stronger at night dealing more and/or taking less dmg
- immune to Charlie still need a light to see though

90% reduction with a chance that hits will miss
It's a dark helm, you can't see in the dark duh!

Coola101 Oct 22, 2017 @ 4:07pm 
Perhaps the stats for the moonrock set could be appied to a nightmare fuel helmet, maybe called "The Lost Soul"Of cource with a few nerfs
- -4sps sanity aura
- 86% defence
- 15% damage boost at night
- 5% damage boost at dusk
- 50% less damage from charlie
The Scaled Helmet or maybe "Dragons Fury" could provide:
- 85% defence
- 40% less fire damage
- 5% chance to "parry" an enemy, still recieve 50% of the damage
Just some ideas, not to make things crazy OP
MaxdamageAF Jan 22, 2019 @ 7:31pm 
Originally posted by noerK:

- bees (living)
- gears
- marble
- moonstone
- gold (ofc)

- hounds teeth
- stinger

any thoughts & opinions?
seems pretty good, just a comment though: don't starve has a ton of overlap on recipes, so don't be scared to do it too, if you get something that fits, but you already use it in another mod, don't worry!
Last edited by MaxdamageAF; Jan 22, 2019 @ 7:31pm
Helmets huh?
How about Football Helmet + 2 Silk + 2 Rope + 4 planks or 2 living wood
How about also Football Helmet + 2 Silk + 2 Rope + 4 cut stone or 3 marble or 2 moonrocks
Again how about Football Helmet + 2 Silk + 2 Rope + 4 gold nuggets or 2 thulecite fragments
How about lastly Football Helmet + 2 Silk + 2 Rope + 4 Hounds teeth or 4 Bone Shards
Another unusual concept is Football Helmet + 2 Silk + 2 Rope + 3 Beefalo fur or 1 steel wool
I got plenty of ideas, but they always somehow use Football Helmet, Rope, and Silk.
Also, seems that there is basically an easy and hard version of every recipe I offered.
Hope this is helpful, it gives you many different types of Helmets, like a Wooden Reinforced Helmet, a Stone-studded Helmet, a Gold Plated Helmet, a Bone/Fang studded Helmet, and a Thick Fur Helmet.
< >
Showing 1-14 of 14 comments
Per page: 1530 50