Steam Greenlight
The.Net Framework and steam
Well i have began work on a zelda style 2d rpg game in vb.net with combat features similar to League of Legends or just general mobas. Yet i was wondering if steam supports this? if so please tell and place your opionon on my game idea
< >
Сообщения 110 из 10
Does your coding match your research capabilities?
what do you mean and yes my coding skill is to a high level i just wanted to check these factors before i begin my long 4 year work on this project

Technically yes it supports it, you can release any game on Steam that is run from an executable, however you should be aware that you can't integrate Steamworks directly into a vb.net game, if you want to use Steamworks features you'll need to create a wrapper DLL in C/C++ for all the functions you need and then import the DLL at runtime.

TBH I'd strongly advise against using vb.net for making a game though, the language is quite slow and is much more suited to application development than games, C/C++ is usually the best language for games and is well worth learning, but these days you can also get by with C# if memory management is too difficult for you. It's also a good idea to use an existing engine if possible, it'll save a lot of time if you've never written one before and they tend to be much more reliable than something you make yourself.
Автор сообщения: AusSkiller
Technically yes it supports it, you can release any game on Steam that is run from an executable, however you should be aware that you can't integrate Steamworks directly into a vb.net game, if you want to use Steamworks features you'll need to create a wrapper DLL in C/C++ for all the functions you need and then import the DLL at runtime.

TBH I'd strongly advise against using vb.net for making a game though, the language is quite slow and is much more suited to application development than games, C/C++ is usually the best language for games and is well worth learning, but these days you can also get by with C# if memory management is too difficult for you. It's also a good idea to use an existing engine if possible, it'll save a lot of time if you've never written one before and they tend to be much more reliable than something you make yourself.
Ik vb isn't the best choice but someone needs to make a game with the language i have lots of expiernec with it and should do fine. Also thanks for answering my question :)
Автор сообщения: Chazz_2k1
what do you mean and yes my coding skill is to a high level i just wanted to check these factors before i begin my long 4 year work on this project
I belive C0untzer0 might be referencing your thread about Greenlight dying. The one you posted with links to year old news despite there already being 2-3 threads on the same topic with those links in them...
Ik vb isn't the best choice but someone needs to make a game with the language
Not really, it'll be very hard to compete with what can be done in other languages, but if you are experienced with it and are only making a 2D RPG then you should be fine as long as you don't use the UI stuff for rendering.
Автор сообщения: GorlomSwe
I belive C0untzer0 might be referencing your thread about Greenlight dying. The one you posted with links to year old news despite there already being 2-3 threads on the same topic with those links in them...
Oh well meh

Hi Chazz85
How did you get along with a vb.net wrapper for steam?
I am also developing in vb.net, which is more than capable for a 2d game.
Автор сообщения: Tormunda
Hi Chazz85
How did you get along with a vb.net wrapper for steam?
I am also developing in vb.net, which is more than capable for a 2d game.

I'm not sure that necro-posting a 2.5 year dead thread is a terribly useful way to have this discussion. You probably would be better off just sending him a PM.
I would love too, however it seems many people do not allow unknown PMs :)
< >
Сообщения 110 из 10
Показывать на странице: 1530 50

Дата создания: 11 фев. 2014 г. в 10:54