Recent reviews by Vee

House of 1 000 Doors: Serpent Flame is the 3rd game in the House of 1 000 Doors serie. Once again you play as Kate. Giant snake are coming up from underground and wreaking havoc across the earth, and you are the only one who can save the day! Your mission is to gather the elements needed to complete the machine that will destroy the ancient snake coming to destroy the world. To do that you will have to travel back in time to four different era. The story is really engrossing and the puzzles are just perfect; hard enough to be challenging but not too hard that they break the flow of the story.

Pros
  • Just like the other games in this serie, the story is very well written.
  • There's a hint system if you get stuck and all puzzles are skippable.
  • The puzzles are well integrated in the story.
  • For HOG's lovers, there's lots of HO scenes.
  • Differents mode you can choose from, meaning it's perfect for either the beginner or hardcore HOG fans.
  • There's a map that make travelling between location very easy and painless.

Cons
  • The graphic are very nice but the cut scene are lower quality and don't look as nice.
  • The bonus story is usually a follow up of the main story but in this case it wasn't so it can be confusing. Still a great episode on it's own though.
  • The HOG can get repetitive a little as you have to find objects in the same scene in some instance.

I really enjoyed the House of 1 000 Doors serie and this installment is no different, it's a well crafted story and there's a lot of content for the price. Whether you're just starting playing HOG or have been playing for years, this game is a sure to keep you entertain!
In Scarytales: All Hail King Mongo, you play the princess. Your father, the king has disappear and you brother who is being controlled by the evil sorcerer is now in power. You'll have to rescue them by defeating the evil Zarrar. A hidden objects game with a fair amount of puzzles Scarytales is entertaining. The story should take you between 1.5 to 3 hours to complete if you take your time. The graphics are not amazing for this day and age but fairly decent. the HO scene are challenging at time but not very hard so are the puzzles. If you get stuck on a puzzle at some point they are all skippable and there's a hint system you can use if you ever need help but as I said the game is not that hard when played on normal mode.

Pros
  • A nice balance between HO scene and puzzles.
  • There's a hint system if you get stuck and all puzzles are skippable.
  • The story even though it's not original is entertaining and well written.
  • For HOG's lovers, there's lots of HO scenes.
  • You can choose between normal or hard mode.
  • A slider let's you choose the volume of the music

Cons
  • There's no map so it's up to you to know where to go and you end up backtracking but the locations are pretty limited it's fairly fast to find where you should go
  • Not necessarily a con to everyone but I found the story to be pretty unoriginal but it is well written.
  • The graphics are not bad but also nothing spectacular and some scene are better than other so it's not consistent.

All in all, I enjoyed the time I spent playing Scarytales: All Hail King Mongo, it was an entertaining 2 hours. It's a fun game with a nice storyline. The puzzles and HO scenes where challenging enough to keep me entertain through the whole game.
I recommend this game to all puzzle's fan out there and for the novice, this would be a good starting point.
Under Leaves is a hidden Object game pure and simple. On a map of the world you are given many different locations, each location is a different stage to complete all related to different animals indigenous to the location on the map. Each stage is beautifully crafted. A real work of love! The fact that each level has a certain color scheme give it a certain style but also makes it surprisingly challenging, just enough to keep my interest through the whole game.

Pros
  • For those who likes the extra challenge, there's 29 achievements. One for each stage and one extra for finishing the game without help.
  • Each stage is beautifully crafted, you can tell that a lot of work and thought went into each one. A real work of art!
  • Each stage is random, the objects you have to find are never in the same spot, so you can replay it indefinitely.
  • The objects are not so easy to find so it's a very good challenge for HOG veterans.
  • Enough content to keep you busy for about 2-3 hours.
  • Nice soothing music that fits well with the game

Cons
  • Honestly I'm having a hard time finding any cons to this game, the only warning I might give is don't be fooled by the cute and light graphics, this game can be very hard. If you're not into HOG maybe start by something easier. As seen in the screenshots, the style and monochromatic color scheme can make it hard to find the hidden objects.

A cute and well thought out hidden objects game that will keep you entertain for several hours. If you like puzzle and HOG, this game is a must have. It is certainly well worth the small price tag of 5$.
Posted June 2. Last edited June 3.
How to be Best Russian Game Developer is a game only in name. You can get all the achievements within 10-15 minutes and after that, well let's just say there's really no incentive to continue playing. Even at the low price of a dollar it's still too much for this "game".

Pros
  • For those who care about achievements, really easy 100%

Cons
  • No tutorial and no hints at all which makes it hard to know what any of the upgrade are about
    and what to do with them
  • Litterally mindless clicking and no incentive to keep playing once the achievements are done
  • Rather boring asset flip
  • It could have been a very funny satire but it doesn't feel like the dev put that much effort
    in their game

I really don't how this game has a positive rating but save yourself and just don't buy this game, there's really no redeeming qualities whatsoever to make this game anything else than an asset flip. Even if you're an achievement hunter, there's a lot better games out there that gives you easy achievements and are still enjoyable. Stay away.
Posted March 20. Last edited March 20.
The Fan is interactive horror point & click game made completely with pictures, you get to play as the killer and have to go around to find object while uncovering a gruesome story of kidnapping and murder. Honestly there's not much gameplay per se, it's more about discovering what happens with the victims. If you like a good thriller then that might be the game for you but otherwise don't bother.

I'm really on the fence about this game, I still gave it a thumbs up because it's really not a bad game and you can tell how much work was put into it but it's also not a good game. I didn't pay full price and I would recommend you only by it when it's on sale.

Pros
  • Made with a lot of love, a lot of work clearly went into this game
  • A very unique and well crafted story

Cons
  • Extremely short for the asking price. In a little over an hour, I finished the whole story and looked at every single item there was in the game more than once
  • The story might upset some people as it is very gruesome
  • Even what there is of gameplay is really not challenging (you have to find somes objects) and they're not really hidden so you can't even call it a HOG.

I would give this game a 5/10, if I could give it a neutral rating, I would althought I think it has some potential. I would really like to see the devs dig deeper into the story and add more gameplay a couple of puzzles would have really been a welcome addition to this game.

In retrospect, I'm happy I tried it but it's not a game that will stick with me. If you must get it do so only when there's a good sale!
Posted March 9. Last edited March 9.
Pretty good puzzle game if you like Picross type puzzles,
the only con I can think off is that when they changed it from free to play to selling the game, they didn't think to change anything, so you have to wait for coin to recharge every 24 hours if you don't want to pay for them.
That's too bad since some of the later puzzle almost require you to take a hint.
That gets quite irritating considering the game cost 5$, I don't want to have to log in everyday for coin to play a game I paid for...

Overall still a pretty good game with lots of levels to play.

Posted December 8, 2018.
Beautiful and relaxing puzzle game. It's pretty straight forward, the puzzles are stained-glass pieces that formed beautiful images when assembled. Each puzzle is a different country so there's a lot of variety in the images.
Definitely a must if you like puzzles.
Posted November 24, 2018.
I really enjoyed The Charnel House Trilogy, the story was quite interesting. The puzzles are not very difficult but they completed the story really well. The graphic remind me a lot of the Wadjet eye games, in fact if you love their games, you'll probably like this one as well.

I would recommend it to anyone who love playing quirky story heavy Point & Click.
Posted October 16, 2018.
Review Written on Tuesday, June 14th, 2016

Review

Crea is a 2D RPG sandbox type of game, the pixel style graphics are rather pleasing to look at although I would have love them to be a bit bigger but thats just me since it doesnt really change anything to the gameplay. You can choose between small, medium or large size world. Even the smallest one is quite big and has a lot to explore.

Theres tons of things to do in this game, the crafting section has a lot choices. Like all game of this type theres two mode building and fighting (or survival). You wont see the time pass while you play this game, you can easily sink many hours into it and never get bored. The addition of Steam workshop add tons of options, the possibilities are endless. And since the dev are really active, I have high hopes that future update will add even more content.

One thing I usually complain about is the lack of tutorial in those games, but not in Crea the tutorial is pretty good at explaining the basics, although I would have liked to see it explain more in depth. At the moment theres no dedicated server for multiplayer, so that might be a problem for some as its very much the kind of game you would want to play with others.

Rating:

7.5/10

Pros:

1. The tutorial is covering the basis pretty well
  2. The integration of Steam workshop with modding will add lots of content and gameplay
  3. The RPG elements (leveling, skills, etc) add an interesting side to the game
  4. The procedurally generated world are quite big and theres lots to explore
  5. The devs are very active and theres frequent updates.

Cons:
  1. Theres no dedicated server for multiplayer which in this kind of game is a downside
  2. Theres are still bugs, but the devs are pretty active, so it should be worked out
  3. The graphics are a touch small for me, it was hard to see details very well
  4. While the tutorial take care of the basis very well theyre still a lot of aspects that would deserve more explaining

Hardware Information

HDD
1 tb

Disclaimer:

Source of consideration: Siege games
Posted June 14, 2016. Last edited June 14, 2016.
Review Written on Thursday, May 19th, 2016

Review

The main thing that separate this game from the others of the same genre is that with the Terraforming feature each player will have a unique experience every time they play. For those who like building & crafting this game is a must. You can literally build anything you want. There's already so many things to choose from when building & crafting. At the moment the game is still in Alpha build so there are some bugs, but I still manage to build some pretty amazing things. What is also great about this game is the RPG elements. You choose your character at the start, he then evolve all through the game. I can't wait to see more quest. To me that alone will adds so much gameplay and make it a game I keep coming back too.

On the down side, the game is mostly played using the keyboard. I would've like to have the option to use keyboard and mouse or even better a controller. Also there's no different ennemies, for a survival game, at the moment there's not much to survive too. Finally the sound effects are really lacking, it makes the experience less intense. Of course being an Alpha you can expect to come across several bugs, but the devs are pretty involved in fixing them, so I have high hope that it will play much smoother in the near future.

In conclusion, I really think that this game has the potential to become a great game once the bugs are fix. The devs are really active which always bode well for the future of the game. They are actively working at fixing the bugs and improving on the existing features. I really like the concept already and I cant wait to see it develop further. I really think that there's a great future for this game.

Rating:

6.5/10

Pros:

1. The in-depth terraforming mode lets you have a unique experience every time you create a new world.
  2. The RPG element, quest adds to the gameplay.
  3. Great graphics and beautiful big world to play in.
  4. With the terraforming and the characters ability to evolve, each playthrough is truly unique.
  5. Even though theres no tutorial per se, theres a help feature which lets you know which key do what.

Cons:
  1. The music is rather bland and it lack some sound effect.
  2. The keyboard control makes it rather hard to play, would've like to be able to use the mouse to move.
  3. Several bugs and issues to be fix.
  4. Theres no tutorial, so you feel kind of lost at the start.

Hardware Information