This topic has been locked
Runningtaco Oct 11, 2013 @ 12:31pm
"Hours played" all messed up.
I'm not sure if this has already been discussed but is anyone else's hours played completely messed up? At first all my hours for all my games were gone. Just today I saw them come back up with so many more hours than I played. I had games with only like 4 hours played but it says I played it for 20 hours. It's like that for all my games except the few I've been playing very recently. I hope Valve fixes this because I love these kind of stats.
< >
Showing 1-15 of 19 comments
Raiden Oct 11, 2013 @ 12:38pm 
yay another thread like this

yay
Xathian Oct 11, 2013 @ 1:17pm 
For the past day, my games have all been randomly having their time players reduced or increased.

My Borderlands 2 had 288 hours played this morning and now has 256. My Borderlands 1 had 56 hours and I haven't played it in a couple years and it's now at 91.

I bought Bioshock 1+2 on sale this week and played Bioshock 1 for about 9 hours before I beat it. This morning it said I had 51 hours played which I knew wasn't right and right now it says I have 52 hours played on it. Gained an hour without me even launching it.

I have 42, 42 and 46 hours played on 3 games I bought from a humble bundle and haven't even launched once yet.
Last edited by Xathian; Oct 11, 2013 @ 1:18pm
Uutama Oct 12, 2013 @ 10:28pm 
This has been happening to me for the past few days. It's annoying and I want this fixed. Thank you.
d7602002 Oct 13, 2013 @ 4:11am 
There is a glitch in the library portion as it seems that the steam client is registering game time played as if the game were open. I have a game that I have not played yet and it is now at 63 hours played...yesterday afternoon it was 44. If you look at the time and then check it a couple hours from now, it should register with two more hours played.....or it appears that way.

if you want the actual game time played until it is fixed, check on your profile or go to the store page of said game and those will display the correct times.
Last edited by d7602002; Oct 13, 2013 @ 4:15am
Karp Oct 13, 2013 @ 7:09am 
same here all my games that i don't play anymore now have 20+ hours added to them...
david.spellman Oct 13, 2013 @ 2:13pm 
This happened to me as well, just in the past few days as far as I know.
Runningtaco Oct 13, 2013 @ 4:06pm 
So I just figured out that if you play a game that has messed up hours, it will go back to the correct time.
Karp Oct 13, 2013 @ 7:00pm 
Originally posted by Gavrilo Princip:
So I just figured out that if you play a game that has messed up hours, it will go back to the correct time.

Thanks I will try it...
Runningtaco Oct 20, 2013 @ 12:02am 
Also I just realized that by playing a game, it only temporarly goes back to the correct time. After a while it starts to go up again.
Arale//Zero Oct 22, 2013 @ 7:03pm 
This really needs to be fixed. I have a bit of an OCD thing about my gametime displaying correctly, and it's impossible for me to play games because I'm constantly worrying about having to restart Steam.
ekolis Oct 26, 2013 @ 11:36am 
If I play a game while my playtime is glitched, will it be "locked in" at the glitched time? E.g. if I've played a game for 4 hours, but it says 10 hours, and I play for an hour, then quit Steam, and restart it, will it say 5 hours, or will it now be stuck at 11 hours? I've been afraid to play any games because of this... :(

edit: Oh, apparently they fixed this in a beta update the other day! Going to give it a try... :)
Last edited by ekolis; Oct 26, 2013 @ 11:38am
Runningtaco Oct 26, 2013 @ 4:38pm 
You can still play games and the hours will go back to the right time, but after a while, the hours will go back up. I"m glad they are going to fix this!
i played ark for 2 hours on this pc to test if it works and for some strange reason it shows 300 hours, i wish i had played that many hours but i have not
Simo Oct 30, 2021 @ 1:31am 
If you play a game for 5 minutes and then switch to something else their system will still keep the timer running for some odd reason. I think this is to exaggerate the times played to deny you a refund. I've been a victim to this after playing a game for 5 minutes and told I've played for 17 plus hours (over 2) hours when that's impossible.
Steam are a untrustworthy company.
Hope for a better service. Very disappointed.
Last edited by Simo; Oct 30, 2021 @ 1:32am
Pinky Oct 30, 2021 @ 1:36am 
Originally posted by simsdachs:
If you play a game for 5 minutes and then switch to something else their system will still keep the timer running for some odd reason. I think this is to exaggerate the times played to deny you a refund. I've been a victim to this after playing a game for 5 minutes and told I've played for 17 plus hours (over 2) hours when that's impossible.
Steam are a untrustworthy company.
Hope for a better service. Very disappointed.

Steam counts the amount of time that the game's executable file is running. If you start the game and then alt+tab to something else, of course it will continue counting. How else is it supposed to keep track? It's up to you to make sure you don't go beyond 2 hours.

Also, what's up with this necro?
Last edited by Pinky; Oct 30, 2021 @ 1:37am
< >
Showing 1-15 of 19 comments
Per page: 1530 50

Date Posted: Oct 11, 2013 @ 12:31pm