Nachtrae Apr 11, 2018 @ 2:19am
Steam's new privacy settings and new EU law (GDPR)
Starting on May 25th a new EU law will start to be enforced (after being adopted back in 2016 and given a 2 year adaptaion period) called the General Data Protection Regulation (or GDPR). Any company dealing with EU customers will have to comply with this law or be at risk of being fined an amount of up to 4% of their annual global turnover.

This law is in regards to protecting personal data which is, according to the EU commission: "personal data is any information relating to an individual, whether it relates to his or her private, professional or public life. It can be anything from a name, a home address, a photo, an email address, bank details, posts on social networking websites, medical information, or a computer’s IP address." Yes, this also includes your game-library, hours played, and your earned achievements. Under GDPR Valve cannot just show people your library unless you have given them specific permission to use your data to display your library. Hence the new privacy settings.

For more information, here's the GDPR wiki[en.wikipedia.org]
And the GDPR website[www.eugdpr.org]

It is a shame for the third-party websites that gave many of us valuable information, but at the end of the day their scripts were data-mining scripts. I am certain someone will come up with a clever way to bring us the information people thought useful regardless of these changes.

As for why the changes are globally implemented: Let's be honest it's easiest to maintain a single platform rather than break it up into tiny pieces.
Last edited by Nachtrae; Apr 11, 2018 @ 2:26am
< >
Showing 1-15 of 130 comments
The End Apr 11, 2018 @ 2:32am 
I'm wondering what The Way Back machine will do, I guess they have to comply too.
Nachtrae Apr 11, 2018 @ 2:37am 
Quite possibly yes, though I have no idea how they would go about archiving while still protecting user data. It's hard to say exactly how vast the consequences will be, or how fines and punishments will be handled upon breaching, as there is no real precedent yet.
The End Apr 11, 2018 @ 2:44am 
It will be interessting to see how it pans out.
Nachtrae Apr 11, 2018 @ 4:09am 
Originally posted by Eisberg:
Going over the law, I would say it is more about Valve being safe, rather than be sorry later on. The law really isn't clear enough to determine if the game library and time played is really protected under that new law, but i can understand Valve wanting to not worry about that mess to find out if it really is when it is far easier just to comply just in case. It really is not worth it to find out and fight it over something like this. So yeah, I don't blame them at all.

But I do fully expect to see posts whre people are going to want argue that the law doesn't specifically state it is covered under that law and therefore Steam is doing it for a different purpose rather than trying to comply with the law.

That's fair. My workplace is also affected by these changes so there was a bit of discussion about it and the main consensus really was "ask 5 different experts and you'll get 5 different responses". In the broadest sense of explanation your game library and time played would fall under personal data because it is data about you, in that you bought it and played it. Narrow it a bit more, and you could get to information directly created by you in the sense of social media posts, and information like time played could end up falling outside of that.

Is it something anyone would want to find out after enforcement has gone into effect and you end up being thoroughly investigated? Considering the fines I think most would respond with a 'hell no'. Better safe then sorry is a very understandable stance to take when there is no precedent at all yet.

As for the arguments....I mean, it's the internet. People will argue about anything and everything given half an excuse!
Baltasar Apr 11, 2018 @ 4:37am 
It's a bit sad that it took a decade and EU legislation for Valve to implement those features, but I'm really happy about the result. The more I can fine-tune what I want to share, the more I'm inclined to share anything at all. It's in Valves best interest that I share as much as I can, because my friends might see what games I play and buy them, too.
sindanar Apr 11, 2018 @ 4:45am 
Going over the law, I would say it is more about Valve being safe, rather than be sorry later on. The law really isn't clear enough to determine if the game library and time played is really protected under that new law...

Have done some work with GDPR and the EU Commission has so far said that "Personal Data" in terms of GDPR is defined as any data that, with the help of all other available data (ALL), can be used to determine who an individual is or anything about them/their activity.
This means that e.g. Steam Library, Achievements, etc, fall squarely under "personal data".
That the definition of personal data is incredibly broad is one of the main talking points when it comes to GDPR.

Here's the official definition:
'Personal data’ means any information relating to an identified or identifiable natural person (‘data subject’); an identifiable natural person is one who can be identified, directly or indirectly, in particular by reference to an identifier such as a name, an identification number, location data, an online identifier or to one or more factors specific to the physical, physiological, genetic, mental, economic, cultural or social identity of that natural person;
Source: https://gdpr-info.eu/art-4-gdpr/

My understanding is that the law is quite clear when it comes to data like achievements, gameplay hours, etc - these are references to an individual's identity (e.g. cultural/social).

However there's alot of things to keep in mind with GPDR; some laws (local or otherwise) override it, there's an aspect to "reasonable" handling of personal data, and there won't be any really hard lines in the sand until one (or more) case(s) go to court - and receive judgement.
There may well be precedents set, or amendments made to the law, that have a huge effect on practical application.

One way or another, things can potentially get very interesting for many of companies & services - and those who use them. For better or worse :)
Nachtrae Apr 11, 2018 @ 4:57am 
Originally posted by sindanar:
Have done some work with GDPR and the EU Commission has so far said that "Personal Data" in terms of GDPR is defined as any data that, with the help of all other available data (ALL), can be used to determine who an individual is or anything about them/their activity.
This means that e.g. Steam Library, Achievements, etc, fall squarely under "personal data".
That the definition of personal data is incredibly broad is one of the main talking points when it comes to GDPR.

Here's the official definition:
'Personal data’ means any information relating to an identified or identifiable natural person (‘data subject’); an identifiable natural person is one who can be identified, directly or indirectly, in particular by reference to an identifier such as a name, an identification number, location data, an online identifier or to one or more factors specific to the physical, physiological, genetic, mental, economic, cultural or social identity of that natural person;
Source: https://gdpr-info.eu/art-4-gdpr/

My understanding is that the law is quite clear when it comes to data like achievements, gameplay hours, etc - these are references to an individual's identity (e.g. cultural/social).

However there's alot of things to keep in mind with GPDR; some laws (local or otherwise) override it, there's an aspect to "reasonable" handling of personal data, and there won't be any really hard lines in the sand until one (or more) case(s) go to court - and receive judgement.
There may well be precedents set, or amendments made to the law, that have a huge effect on practical application.

One way or another, things can potentially get very interesting for many of companies & services - and those who use them. For better or worse :)

That definition is indeed very broad! I admit to not having looked in depth at the info yet (sue me, I'm at work) so thanks for putting that up here! I'll have to look over the GDPR in more detail later today, because it is rather interesting to finally see the government play catch-up with the internet. I imagine some scandals / lawsuits will pop up in the coming year from companies that played a little less safe than they should've. Facebook will probably stay clear of that, having been caught before the law was enforced. Many preying eyes will be upon them for the foreseeable future though! In that sense the FB privacy scandal reached the light at just the right time. Privacy awareness for all, but no backlash in fines for them.

Maybe just a little to perfect a time? Hmmmm *tinfoil hat intensified*
Nikaas Apr 11, 2018 @ 5:22am 
This change is not related to this law because a lot of info still remains available. On top of that there is already an option that complies (and much better) with the law and that's the private profile.
Last edited by Nikaas; Apr 11, 2018 @ 5:24am
More privacy options is a good thing and I fully support it.

I however think all users should be informed that their privacy settings have been changed. There aren't alot of people reading the blog posts, these discussion boards or the update notes.

Makeing a descission about the privacy settings on their behalf, without notifying them (no matter the direction of change) isn't good in my opinion.
Gekkibi Apr 11, 2018 @ 5:38am 
Originally posted by Nikaas:
This change is not related to this law because a lot of info still remains available. On top of that there is already an option that complies (and much better) with the law and that's the private profile.
Like what information?
I've been digging around for some time now, and so far I've noticed that if a private profile has published at least one public review then the number of games in their library becomes public.

Besides this, haven't personally seen any other unintentional behaviours.
Nachtrae Apr 11, 2018 @ 5:40am 
One of the changes that (at least in my opinion) points to this being related to the GDPR is that the settings are not default to public (which would be breaking GDPR). Regardless, I am curious about this remaining info. It may be things Valve missed in their updates (and their release now means about a month of time to fix all the wrinkles in the code)

Originally posted by TackerTacker:
More privacy options is a good thing and I fully support it.

I however think all users should be informed that their privacy settings have been changed. There aren't alot of people reading the blog posts, these discussion boards or the update notes.

Makeing a descission about the privacy settings on their behalf, without notifying them (no matter the direction of change) isn't good in my opinion.
This is a good point and I agree. A site-wide inbox message or pop-up notification that informs the user would be appropriate. I myself rarely read the blog posts and just kinda stumbled upon this one by chance....and then rolled my eyes so hard at the 'user feedback' part that they're still spinning in their sockets.
Last edited by Nachtrae; Apr 11, 2018 @ 5:42am
Crashed Apr 11, 2018 @ 6:23am 
Like what information?
Date of birth is transmitted plaintext from your cookies with every click on the Store. It's part of a discontinued feature that pre-filled the age gate.
Seeing as you work in IT it should be easy to test.
Last edited by Crashed; Apr 11, 2018 @ 6:24am
Nachtrae Apr 11, 2018 @ 6:32am 
Originally posted by Crashed:
Like what information?
Date of birth is transmitted plaintext from your cookies with every click on the Store. It's part of a discontinued feature that pre-filled the age gate.
A cookie is stored locally, on my and your computer, and I can clear mine at any time. Privacy windows also do not store these cookies beyond your single session. Other computers cannot access these cookies and their data, making this a separate issue from the privacy settings as this affects what other people see in regards to YOUR info.

Should it be cleaned up? Possibly. If it's indeed unused, the code is just clutter. However, not so much a privacy issue unless your computer is already compromised.
Last edited by Nachtrae; Apr 11, 2018 @ 6:33am
Ba[R]aD` Apr 11, 2018 @ 6:35am 
I don't feel like hiding game details is a big change even tho I won't be using it.. I'd like to see more featurs added to protect our privacy beyond game library
Last edited by Ba[R]aD`; Apr 11, 2018 @ 6:37am
Crashed Apr 11, 2018 @ 7:20am 
Originally posted by Nachtrae:
Originally posted by Crashed:
A cookie is stored locally, on my and your computer, and I can clear mine at any time. Privacy windows also do not store these cookies beyond your single session. Other computers cannot access these cookies and their data, making this a separate issue from the privacy settings as this affects what other people see in regards to YOUR info.

Should it be cleaned up? Possibly. If it's indeed unused, the code is just clutter. However, not so much a privacy issue unless your computer is already compromised.
Actually it stores the lastagecheckage cookie still, and while cookies are stored locally they are processed remotely. The browser has no idea when they are needed so it transmits them with every HTTP request as part of the request headers.
< >
Showing 1-15 of 130 comments
Per page: 1530 50

Date Posted: Apr 11, 2018 @ 2:19am