Dimi3 Apr 20, 2013 @ 2:00am
steam does not start (fresh install) mac
Hello there

I am having maybe the same problem that many of people here have.
First time install on iMac 27" late 2012 10.8.3 and after installing and updating the steam app cannot start. It flashes for a sec and nothing happens.
Inside the library/application support folder there is nothing referring to steam.

Any help?
< >
Showing 1-15 of 51 comments
Tacospiff Apr 20, 2013 @ 12:51pm 
I am running Macbook Pro Early 2011 13" on Mac OS X 10.8.3. I do not have any problems with Steam after updating. Ive been hearing a lot of people is having this problem. I do not have any solution sorry.
Slothful Apr 20, 2013 @ 1:11pm 
Originally posted by XxRallyExTremezxX:
I am running Macbook Pro Early 2011 13" on Mac OS X 10.8.3. I do not have any problems with Steam after updating. Ive been hearing a lot of people is having this problem. I do not have any solution sorry.

And your point of even replying was?
Dimi3 Apr 24, 2013 @ 10:09am 
Still no response?
Sonofapitch Apr 29, 2013 @ 7:12pm 
Yes I can help message me...you have to first remove the steamapps folder from the game folder and drag it to your desktop...then select every other file and delete is...then install steam all over and then replace the game folder with the one it auto creates and voila your fresh install of steam now has all the games back without having to re-install them...I just did it on my Mac
worked perfect.
M May 1, 2013 @ 11:18am 
Posted it on other thread already. The solution is quite simple - open /Applications/Steam.app/Contents/MacOS/steam.sh in your favourite text editor, and on the second line (which is empty) write this:
rm -f '~/Library/Application Support/Steam/registry.vdf'
Save the file. Now it will always work, you don't have to remove the file manually anymore. gg.
Dimi3 May 11, 2013 @ 8:59am 
Ok thanks a lot for your answers but:

mazterqyou
i have never run steam before on my mac and after the install and the update there is nothing in the Library/Application data folder that it is related to steam.
Also i have added the line in the steam.sh but nothing happens.

bgeazynucka
can you explain me please where is this steam app folder as i have never run steam before and moreover i have never played a game from steam before. If i understood correctly this game folder will be created after the first time i download a game? Then if i have still problem i will follow your advice.

The main problem is that after i install steam and the update completes, i run steam from apps folder and nothing happens. Also nothing exists in the library as steam has never run for the very first time.
ErniePC12 May 11, 2013 @ 9:34am 
I've been having the same issue now since the May 6th client update.

I've removed the Steam folder from the Application Support folder, deleted the registry.vdf, and reinstalled the client.

Nothing has worked.

I do get an error message when I launch the client from steam.sh. And I see that my crash logs are going to crash.steampowered.com.

So, now I'm just waiting for Valve get around to fixing the issue...
M May 11, 2013 @ 9:51am 
@creta: you might be checking /Library, when the actual folder is /Users/username/Library which I'm talking about.
Anyway, I added you both to investigate the issue further.
Mfashnick May 11, 2013 @ 2:07pm 
You are, in fact, having the same problem that many people are having. I put in a trouble ticket several days ago with no response. I'm quite frustrated, as I've only been using Steam for a few weeks, and I feel that I've wasted money on games I can't play. This is not a good way to keep and support a customer base, and the lack of quick response is unprofessional.
76561198065981792 May 11, 2013 @ 2:35pm 
Ive been having the same issues for a few days now and have scoured the internet and discussion forums and have followed their ideas but nothing works. It keeps telling me I am in offline mode and not connected to their server.

...and I was frustrated with steam so after deleting steam for the 15th time I decided to delete everything steam related (so the steamapps folder too). So now when i try to search 'registry.vdf' on my computer nothing comes up.

Bruh i dont evvvvven play games online and I can't get access to my games
cannonfodder May 11, 2013 @ 4:10pm 
mac osx 10.6.8. mostly playing offline CIV4 BtS.
It was working perfectly until the latest patch beginning of may.
now it does not stop the attempt to update.
testet everything that was postet on the mac forum. and for me it`s clear that it`s a steam issue.

Thanks to all in the forum that actually try to solve this.
But fact is It`s a shame Steam cashes in our money and doesn`t even have the balls to write a note that they are obviously having a problem with mac users.

Steam get this sorted out!
Last edited by cannonfodder; May 11, 2013 @ 4:16pm
cannonfodder May 11, 2013 @ 4:29pm 
Originally posted by KratoZ:
join i will help you

epsilon.server4voice.de:32025
pw:warhammer40

thanks. i tried it but i don`t know how to connect to your server.
anyway...i think Steam should solve this fast and transparent.
Last edited by cannonfodder; May 11, 2013 @ 4:33pm
Dimi3 May 11, 2013 @ 6:17pm 
Originally posted by ★/W/ MazterQyoun-ae:
@creta: you might be checking /Library, when the actual folder is /Users/username/Library which I'm talking about.
Anyway, I added you both to investigate the issue further.

Mazter i don't even have a folder "library" at users/..../Library. Maybe i didn't understand what u are suggesting to do.
M May 12, 2013 @ 4:35am 
@creta: It's hidden. To enter it, you need to focus on Finder, then open Go menu in menubar, hold ⌥ and you'll see how Library folder appears the menu. Click on it, you'll enter ~/Library.
Dimi3 May 12, 2013 @ 11:07am 
Originally posted by ★/W/ MazterQyoun-ae:
@creta: It's hidden. To enter it, you need to focus on Finder, then open Go menu in menubar, hold ⌥ and you'll see how Library folder appears the menu. Click on it, you'll enter ~/Library.

thanks master. i am new to macosx so...
the problem still perists though. I don't really know what to try more.
< >
Showing 1-15 of 51 comments
Per page: 1530 50

Date Posted: Apr 20, 2013 @ 2:00am