Alesia Jul 30, 2015 @ 3:35am
FX 8350 Maximum Ram
I have been researching a little about the FX 8350 and I can't find the maximum amount of memory it can address. I am pretty sure that it can handle 32GB, but can it do more? Any help would be very much appreciated. Thanks.
< >
Showing 1-15 of 17 comments
Ivan the SoSo Jul 30, 2015 @ 3:58am 
I used 16 gigs, never came close to maxing it out.....Might need more if you video edit, or do CAD....The top limit is determined by the Windows version and the Motherboard....The most slots I have seen are 4 so 4x16gigs is 64 gigs....

As for Windows here is a Microsoft link to the most common OS's https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/desktop/aa366778%28v=vs.85%29.aspx#physical_memory_limits_windows_7
ᛋpeedyBulleᛏ Jul 30, 2015 @ 4:21am 
The max amount of RAM is determind by the motherboard. For instane the "MSI 970 Gaming" supports up to 32GB of RAM and the "ASRock 990FX Extreme9" supports up to 64GB of RAM.
Alesia Jul 30, 2015 @ 4:39am 
I knew the motherboard and the os were part of what determined the maximum amount of ram but I also thought the cpu was part of that.
Bad 💀 Motha Jul 30, 2015 @ 4:43am 
Originally posted by Unbekannt_:
I knew the motherboard and the os were part of what determined the maximum amount of ram but I also thought the cpu was part of that.

Nope; Motherboard and OS support are the only factors. If 64bit version of Win 8, 8.1, 10 (any edition) then all u have to worry about is the Motherboard max supported RAM (as Win7 Home is limited to 16GB RAM). Also some Motherboards might be limited to what the max support RAM speed is it can effectively run at when all DIMM slots are populated. So really all u need to refer to is your Motherboard manual.
Last edited by Bad 💀 Motha; Jul 30, 2015 @ 4:44am
Alesia Jul 30, 2015 @ 5:00am 
Thank you.
Dragonu-ak.47 Jul 30, 2015 @ 5:32am 
Thx
*****cubed Jul 30, 2015 @ 10:48am 
Like bad-motha said, read the manual for the MB you have or are getting. BTW this CPU overclocks well if you intend to do that. 5GHz and up @1.5V with a decent cooler.

I am not sure what OS limitations are on max amount of RAM but physical space on the MB is the first limiter. Oh and I think the largest size DIMMs are 32GB but not positive.

If you are curiouser and curiouser:
http://superuser.com/questions/65191/what-is-the-maximum-amount-of-ram-a-64bit-machine-can-theoretically-address
Ivan the SoSo Jul 30, 2015 @ 6:02pm 
Originally posted by *****cubed:
Like bad-motha said, read the manual for the MB you have or are getting. BTW this CPU overclocks well if you intend to do that. 5GHz and up @1.5V with a decent cooler.

I am not sure what OS limitations are on max amount of RAM but physical space on the MB is the first limiter. Oh and I think the largest size DIMMs are 32GB but not positive.

If you are curiouser and curiouser:
http://superuser.com/questions/65191/what-is-the-maximum-amount-of-ram-a-64bit-machine-can-theoretically-address

Some overclock well.....4.3 game stable on water, don't even think about running prime95 unless you like the black screen look :madelf:
Bad 💀 Motha Jul 30, 2015 @ 9:48pm 
OS limitations far exceed that of which most consumer Desktop Boards could support. It takes Corporate/Business-class Server setups to get anywhere near the max RAM supported by a 64bit OS.

If you really want to see/compare OS, here:
https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/desktop/aa366778(v=vs.85).aspx

The only 64bit OS that is current really and has a low limit is Win7 Home Premium, max supported RAM is 16GB.
Last edited by Bad 💀 Motha; Jul 30, 2015 @ 9:50pm
*****cubed Jul 31, 2015 @ 5:15pm 
Originally posted by Ivan the SoSo:
Some overclock well.....4.3 game stable on water, don't even think about running prime95 unless you like the black screen look :madelf:

I had to read this a couple times to understand. I think I get it now. And I agree that not all CPUs overclock well. It's like a raffle. But maybe better odds. Well okay, if you want to get past 5GHz. the odds go down. But I hear that overall they OC pretty well.

And you're saying that at 4.3 GHz and water cooled it's stable OC. I don't know the details of prime95. Which part of the CPU does it test? Just integers?
Ivan the SoSo Aug 1, 2015 @ 5:35am 
At 4.3 GHz you can game with it....(Skyrim, Bioshock, etc)....But it will not pass stress testing (Intel burn test, Prime95,) unless you disabled a core from testing....(any core would do).....When the computer would crash under testing it would "Black Screen", no errors or "Blue Screens".....Much like it was unplugged while running.....So it wasn't a what a hard core overclocker would call "stable".....

The first motherboard would not pass stress testing at stock speeds.....The higher end replacement would do only 4.3 game stable....A $200 dollar upgrade turned into a $450 dollar upgrade, almost a i5 2500k:madelf: I think the chip could do better IF you could supply enough amps, but I'm not willing to buy ANOTHER motherboard.....Besides more speed would not have solved the low Skyrim preformance....(that took a 4690K)

Prime95 uses the floating point unit, (a disadvantage for the 8350 right there) that results in lots of stress and heat.....
Bad 💀 Motha Aug 1, 2015 @ 5:42am 
a few hundred MHZ for a CPU OC usually won't result in much real-world difference anyways. Maybe a slightly higher score in benchmarks, thats about it.

For example; FX-8350 @ Stock 4.0 / Turbo 4.2 Ghz; You kinda would need to go to around 4.5 - 4.6 or above to really see any difference that would benefits system-wide-speed, like for most games. Or video rendering/encoding.
*****cubed Aug 1, 2015 @ 12:32pm 
Originally posted by Ivan the SoSo:
At 4.3 GHz you can game with it....(Skyrim, Bioshock, etc)....But it will not pass stress testing (Intel burn test, Prime95,) unless you disabled a core from testing....(any core would do).....When the computer would crash under testing it would "Black Screen", no errors or "Blue Screens".....Much like it was unplugged while running.....So it wasn't a what a hard core overclocker would call "stable".....

The first motherboard would not pass stress testing at stock speeds.....The higher end replacement would do only 4.3 game stable....A $200 dollar upgrade turned into a $450 dollar upgrade, almost a i5 2500k:madelf: I think the chip could do better IF you could supply enough amps, but I'm not willing to buy ANOTHER motherboard.....Besides more speed would not have solved the low Skyrim preformance....(that took a 4690K)

Prime95 uses the floating point unit, (a disadvantage for the 8350 right there) that results in lots of stress and heat.....

Interesting. There's a site (which I can't remember) that sells CPUs that they guarantee to OC well.

As for MB, yeah the high-end Asus MBs probably needed. The ones for the FX-9xxx CPUs.

But probably the real problems are mostly in software.
There was a saying "what intel giveth microsoft taketh away". It still holds just replace other software there instead of microsoft.

I thought I read somewhere that the FX-8xxx did well in floating point. Maybe I misremember.
*****cubed Aug 1, 2015 @ 12:35pm 
Originally posted by Bad-Motha:
a few hundred MHZ for a CPU OC usually won't result in much real-world difference anyways. Maybe a slightly higher score in benchmarks, thats about it.

For example; FX-8350 @ Stock 4.0 / Turbo 4.2 Ghz; You kinda would need to go to around 4.5 - 4.6 or above to really see any difference that would benefits system-wide-speed, like for most games. Or video rendering/encoding.

Agreed, OC is mostly because you can. There are plenty of programs and programmers that can take away performance in real world software.
Ivan the SoSo Aug 1, 2015 @ 1:29pm 
Two cores "Share" a single floating point.....So 8 slow cores (AMD) vs 4 fast (Intel)......The first board was a Asus the second a ASRock......But I bought all this before the 9xxx's came out, so close to the time, I think AMD was cherry-picking cpus for that release.......

The site is Silicon Lottery.... http://siliconlottery.com/ .......I only see Intel cpus. If I wanted a 5gig chip real bad, that would be the place to go, if any are in stock......On the flip side I doubt Intel is selling any duds as a K.....
< >
Showing 1-15 of 17 comments
Per page: 1530 50

Date Posted: Jul 30, 2015 @ 3:35am