This topic has been locked
Zixpk Apr 24, 2016 @ 6:21pm
Set physx to GPU or CPU? (using Nvidia CP)
GPU: gtx980m 8gb
CPU: quad core i7-6700 2.6ghz

What's working best for you?
< >
Showing 1-15 of 65 comments
banzaigtv Apr 24, 2016 @ 6:47pm 
Set it to the GPU.
_I_ Apr 24, 2016 @ 6:54pm 
auto

if the gpu is maxed and cpu it not it will do physx on cpu
if its the other way around it will do physx on the gpu
[☥] - CJ - Apr 24, 2016 @ 9:03pm 
just keep it set to auto

Nvidia GPU PhysX will only come into play with games that actually support it anyway.
Revelene Apr 24, 2016 @ 9:09pm 
Another vote for auto.
Bad 💀 Motha Apr 24, 2016 @ 9:36pm 
Auto does not work; it must be set to GPU

You know when it really is enabled properly; by setting to GPU, click Apply, then load up GPU-Z and you'll see the PhysX checkbox is now checked ON. On Auto or CPU; PhysX is disabled.
Revelene Apr 24, 2016 @ 9:39pm 
Originally posted by Bad-Motha:
Auto does not work; it must be set to GPU

You know when it really is enabled properly; by setting to GPU, click Apply, then load up GPU-Z and you'll see the PhysX checkbox is now checked ON. On Auto or CPU; PhysX is disabled.

Auto does indeed work.
Bad 💀 Motha Apr 24, 2016 @ 9:40pm 
GPU-Z says NOT, so that tells me, nope

Why would u select anything else anyways? Like most NVIDIA CP settings, the defaults are for safe running; most of which must be changed for good performance.

Such as PhysX=GPU, Threaded Optimization=ON, Power Management=Prefer Max Performance; etc...
Last edited by Bad 💀 Motha; Apr 24, 2016 @ 9:41pm
Revelene Apr 24, 2016 @ 9:57pm 
GPU-Z says NOT, so that tells me, nope

Why would u select anything else anyways? Like most NVIDIA CP settings, the defaults are for safe running; most of which must be changed for good performance.

Such as PhysX=GPU, Threaded Optimization=ON, Power Management=Prefer Max Performance; etc...

You might have an issue on your end.

I have mine set to auto (shows GPU) and GPU-Z shows PhysX enabled on the GPU. It is working as designed.

Why would I select anything else? Auto selects what it considers as best to handle the physx calculations. If the GPU is not up to the task, and it believes the CPU is a better option, then it will select it.

You don't need to set all them settings. I have mine at default and have no issue with my GPU performing to its fullest. If everything is setup correctly, you can leave the control panel settings for 3D settings at default and have "Let the 3D application decide" selected.
Last edited by Revelene; Apr 24, 2016 @ 11:07pm
MrMcSwifty Apr 24, 2016 @ 10:21pm 
Originally posted by Revelene:
Why would I select anything else? Because when the GPU tops out, it can switch physx over to the CPU.

Can anyone confirm that this is what the "Auto" setting actually does, in practice and not just theory?

That it truly does "auto-switch" between CPU/GPU on the fly?

I deleted my earlier comment saying that setting to GPU is always better... because even though in my experience that's always been the case, maybe I'm wrong?

I'm not trying to dispute anyone here; I'm just genuinely curious.
Last edited by MrMcSwifty; Apr 24, 2016 @ 10:21pm
Revelene Apr 24, 2016 @ 11:07pm 
Originally posted by McSwifty:
Originally posted by Revelene:
Why would I select anything else? Because when the GPU tops out, it can switch physx over to the CPU.

Can anyone confirm that this is what the "Auto" setting actually does, in practice and not just theory?

That it truly does "auto-switch" between CPU/GPU on the fly?

I deleted my earlier comment saying that setting to GPU is always better... because even though in my experience that's always been the case, maybe I'm wrong?

I'm not trying to dispute anyone here; I'm just genuinely curious.

Didn't mean it like that. Not sure why it came out like that but I've since edited it to be more clear. Probably shouldn't do steam mobile while cooking. :p

Auto selects what it considers as best to handle the physx calculations. If the GPU is not up to the task, and it believes the CPU is a better option, then it will select it. Nothing on the fly. You can see what it selects just below the drop down menu.

In the past, GPUs were not up to the task... so CPU used to be the better option if you had a beefy CPU. Now-a-days, GPU is more than likely the better option.

So, you saying GPU was not wrong either.
Last edited by Revelene; Apr 24, 2016 @ 11:09pm
banzaigtv Apr 25, 2016 @ 12:06am 
Normally the GPU will handle PhysX much better than the CPU. Auto setting will set the PhysX processor as the primary GPU or a dedicated PhysX card if you have one.
Bad 💀 Motha Apr 25, 2016 @ 2:11am 
There is no reasons for Auto or CPU; GPU setting ensure that it is actually used whenever running PhysX-enabled games. Otherwise PhysX is simply not used; so why would u set it to anything besides GPU?
Revelene Apr 25, 2016 @ 2:25am 
There is no reasons for Auto or CPU; GPU setting ensure that it is actually used whenever running PhysX-enabled games. Otherwise PhysX is simply not used; so why would u set it to anything besides GPU?

Auto sets it to whatever it believes should calculate physx.

It all depends on the setup.

What do you mean physx is simply not used? If the game uses physx, then it uses whatever is selected for the task.
Last edited by Revelene; Apr 25, 2016 @ 2:27am
Bad 💀 Motha Apr 25, 2016 @ 2:29am 
I'm saying if the game doesn't use PhysX, then obviously it is not used.
But setting PhysX=GPU ensures the GPU physx accelleration is used whenever you actually run a PhysX-capable game.

Whatever, why does anyone care anyways. I'm appearently always wrong whatever I say.

I've only been doing this **** longer than most here have been alive.
Revelene Apr 25, 2016 @ 2:40am 
I'm saying if the game doesn't use PhysX, then obviously it is not used.
But setting PhysX=GPU ensures the GPU physx accelleration is used whenever you actually run a PhysX-capable game.

Whatever, why does anyone care anyways. I'm appearently always wrong whatever I say.

I've only been doing this **** longer than most here have been alive.

Then you would know that some hardware and setups would run better with the CPU handling the physx calculations.

No need to get salty.

...oh, FYI... You don't know everyone's background, so making claims like that is rather immature.
< >
Showing 1-15 of 65 comments
Per page: 1530 50

Date Posted: Apr 24, 2016 @ 6:21pm