Citizen Cook Aug 11, 2022 @ 3:46am
How long will the new AMD socket last?
My current PC features an intel CPU. But for my new PC build next month i think I’ll make the switch to AMD since Intel 13th gen CPU’s and motherboards don’t offer future compatibility.

My plan is to hopefully ride my new AMD CPU for a number of years and then replace the CPU at some distant point in the future while retaining my motherboard and ram. At that point I’ll pop in a new gpu and double the ram.
That way I’ll be saving considerable expense on the third build since many of the components will be reused (case,psu,motherboard,ram,cooler+fans)

Does this seem like a good idea to you fine people?

Being unfamiliar with AMD i was wonder on average, how long does a socket find support?
All I’ve heard is that AMD seem to support motherboard sockets longer than intel.
< >
Showing 1-15 of 60 comments
Cathulhu Aug 11, 2022 @ 3:56am 
Unknown how long AMD will actually support it. The current AM4 (which reaches end of life) was used through the entire Ryzen 1000-5000 series.

The next Ryzen generation will use the new AM5.
Last edited by Cathulhu; Aug 11, 2022 @ 3:56am
emoticorpse Aug 11, 2022 @ 4:05am 
do yourself a favor and forget about upgrading. Just invest in a decent computer right now that will last the entire socket time (5 years?). Avoid the hassle, headache about questionable compatibility and things going wrong when you do upgrade. You'll still be losing money because when you do upgrade, the upgrades aren't worth it unless you've admittedly been using a slug of a pc for a while to make the jump worth it. And if do manage to upgrade like someone on a 1700x right moving to a 5900x, it still isn't that big a saving. You spent the money for the 1700x and are now spending for the 5900x. The cost adds up. Sure you could sell each piece you change out (who's looking for a 1700x right now?), but by that logic but you could also sell the whole pc.
Citizen Cook Aug 11, 2022 @ 4:06am 
Originally posted by Cathulhu:
Unknown how long AMD will actually support it. The current AM4 (which reaches end of life) was used through the entire Ryzen 1000-5000 series.

The next Ryzen generation will use the new AM5.

How long did AM4 last?
Citizen Cook Aug 11, 2022 @ 4:09am 
Originally posted by emoticorpse:
do yourself a favor and forget about upgrading. Just invest in a decent computer right now that will last the entire socket time (5 years?). Avoid the hassle, headache about questionable compatibility and things going wrong when you do upgrade. You'll still be losing money because when you do upgrade, the upgrades aren't worth it unless you've admittedly been using a slug of a pc for a while to make the jump worth it. And if do manage to upgrade like someone on a 1700x right moving to a 5900x, it still isn't that big a saving. You spent the money for the 1700x and are now spending for the 5900x. The cost adds up. Sure you could sell each piece you change out (who's looking for a 1700x right now?), but by that logic but you could also sell the whole pc.

Well, I don’t want to upgrade next year or anything that soon. I thought that if I buy the 7900X next month and then replace that CPU only when the last new (future) AMD cpu compatible with the AM5 socket releases I’ll avoid the expense of replacing the motherboard and ram.
emoticorpse Aug 11, 2022 @ 4:28am 
Originally posted by Citizen Cook:
Originally posted by emoticorpse:

Well, I don’t want to upgrade next year or anything that soon. I thought that if I buy the 7900X next month and then replace that CPU only when the last new (future) AMD cpu compatible with the AM5 socket releases I’ll avoid the expense of replacing the motherboard and ram.

It would work out of you don't mind doing that. Just seems like a lot of times that doesn't seem like the best idea.

Take now for example. A lot of things would have to fall in place. What cpu would you jump to? would you need a new motherboard? would you need a new PSU? Why would you be making the move? if for gaming you won't really see any benefit since you need a new GPU with it? you'll be investing in a system that has just become obsolete when the new socket/technology just hit? ram works optimally in kits, can you find the same exact ram kit you had before? the old cpu is money down the drain (again selling an outdated cpu not even you want probably won't get you much)

Just popping in a CPU alone doesn't make it worth it which is why I don't like the idea of "upgrade paths". By the time it comes time to upgrade, you're better off just investing in a new system.

But regardless i think the answer to your length of support for socket by AMD would be about 5 years. I think that's still somewhat of a lie because I think the newest AMD cpus aren't supported on the original motherboards.
Last edited by emoticorpse; Aug 11, 2022 @ 4:34am
JohnMars78 Aug 11, 2022 @ 4:46am 
How long did AM4 last?

About 5-6 years, but any long term plans would be based on a lot of assumptions.
Some early AM4 MBs and chipsets don't support the latest AM4 CPUs.
The power draw of CPUs and GPUs changed in the last 5 years, significantly so in the high-end area.
DDR4 RAM got faster and cheaper within the last 5 years.

AM5 and DDR5 might evolve along the same lines.

My plan is to hopefully ride my new AMD CPU for a number of years and then replace the CPU at some distant point in the future while retaining my motherboard and ram. At that point I’ll pop in a new gpu and double the ram.
That way I’ll be saving considerable expense on the third build since many of the components will be reused (case,psu,motherboard,ram,cooler+fans)

The newest CPU might not be supported by your MB at that point.
Doubling the RAM might involve discarding the old one altogether and buying a bigger, faster kit at a lower price than the original one.
You can only hope for "saving considerable expense".
Citizen Cook Aug 11, 2022 @ 6:33am 
Originally posted by JohnMars78:
How long did AM4 last?

About 5-6 years, but any long term plans would be based on a lot of assumptions.
Some early AM4 MBs and chipsets don't support the latest AM4 CPUs.
The power draw of CPUs and GPUs changed in the last 5 years, significantly so in the high-end area.
DDR4 RAM got faster and cheaper within the last 5 years.

AM5 and DDR5 might evolve along the same lines.

The newest CPU might not be supported by your MB at that point.
Doubling the RAM might involve discarding the old one altogether and buying a bigger, faster kit at a lower price than the original one.
You can only hope for "saving considerable expense".

Well I might as well go with Intel again, since they are once again rumoured to be more powerful than AMD.
From both your original post and your latest post, it sounds like you're trying to make your choice prematurely. Wait until you are going to buy and have all the information about your options (performance, price, etc.). Speculating until then may be fun, but nothing more.

Socket longevity is nice, but once you start talking longer time spans, it becomes less clear. And CPUs can last a long time these days anyway, making it more unclear. In the short term, unless you plan on upgrading from one generation to the very next, it's pointless (and doing so is typically cost ineffective, so this probably doesn't count for you given you're trying to do this for the other reason and cut the ineffective cost balance out).

What you gain by upgrading less frequently is typically just that. Whether you come out ahead or not is something only hindsight can answer, and it's usually not by much anyway. I stayed on my 2500K for almost a decade and then moved to a 3700X. I went with it because it has more cores/threads than I feel I'll personally need more than before I move on from it (without being excessive, like a Ryzen 9 would be for me) and it was close enough to the 10700K without the 60%+ price premium. If you're looking for "coming out ahead", that's your key. You need to focus on value more (not solely, of course; you still need something good enough not only now but for the foreseeable duration you plan to try and use it for), whether you plan on upgrading in three or four years, or six or seven.

Whatever has the best performance may not necessarily give you that value (some times it can; I feel Sandy Bridge won out here over the AMD options at the time) and the upcoming platforms probably won't be cheap given they basically command DDR5 (AMD will outright, and while they are rumors, things point to Intel getting so much of an uplift from it that you may be handicapping the 13th generation to go with DDR4 this late, but as I stated before, wait until you have information and you won't have to guess at stuff like this).

In other words, ask again when you're actually going to buy. Unless your decision is between Ryzen 5000 and Intel 12th generation now, it's pointless to try and decide so firmly now.
A&A Aug 11, 2022 @ 8:31am 
I don’t have an exact number of years but I would say that you should expect that AM5 will be a long-lived platform as AM4 has been.
- Dr. Lisa Su
Last edited by A&A; Aug 11, 2022 @ 8:32am
Citizen Cook Aug 11, 2022 @ 9:26am 
Originally posted by Illusion of Progress:
From both your original post and your latest post, it sounds like you're trying to make your choice prematurely. Wait until you are going to buy and have all the information about your options (performance, price, etc.). Speculating until then may be fun, but nothing more.

Socket longevity is nice, but once you start talking longer time spans, it becomes less clear. And CPUs can last a long time these days anyway, making it more unclear. In the short term, unless you plan on upgrading from one generation to the very next, it's pointless (and doing so is typically cost ineffective, so this probably doesn't count for you given you're trying to do this for the other reason and cut the ineffective cost balance out).

What you gain by upgrading less frequently is typically just that. Whether you come out ahead or not is something only hindsight can answer, and it's usually not by much anyway. I stayed on my 2500K for almost a decade and then moved to a 3700X. I went with it because it has more cores/threads than I feel I'll personally need more than before I move on from it (without being excessive, like a Ryzen 9 would be for me) and it was close enough to the 10700K without the 60%+ price premium. If you're looking for "coming out ahead", that's your key. You need to focus on value more (not solely, of course; you still need something good enough not only now but for the foreseeable duration you plan to try and use it for), whether you plan on upgrading in three or four years, or six or seven.

Whatever has the best performance may not necessarily give you that value (some times it can; I feel Sandy Bridge won out here over the AMD options at the time) and the upcoming platforms probably won't be cheap given they basically command DDR5 (AMD will outright, and while they are rumors, things point to Intel getting so much of an uplift from it that you may be handicapping the 13th generation to go with DDR4 this late, but as I stated before, wait until you have information and you won't have to guess at stuff like this).

In other words, ask again when you're actually going to buy. Unless your decision is between Ryzen 5000 and Intel 12th generation now, it's pointless to try and decide so firmly now.

Well AMD release new CPU’s next
month. So i thought it good to start thinking about these things now.
Intel won’t be out until October/November and that’s said to be a paper launch.
Yamantaka Aug 11, 2022 @ 11:47am 
Just a personal preference, but it seems to be preferable to buy something good enough to last. A good CPU will go a long way without need for upgrading and you'll likely save money as well. Usually, when the time for upgrade comes, you need to change a lot more than just CPU.
Well AMD release new CPU’s next
month. So i thought it good to start thinking about these things now.
Intel won’t be out until October/November and that’s said to be a paper launch.
If I was looking to buy now, if those dates are indeed accurate, you have two choices.

The first is to buy now (or wait the month on what AMD has available). You already know what's what with what is available now so no guess work needs to be made. This is if you can't wait (or can't wait too long).

If you can wait, then do so until Intel's upcoming stuff launches and then make a decision.

I imagine you'll be looking at DDR5 in any case, and one thing to maybe keep in mind is that DDR5 has shown to have some difficulties on current platforms running at higher speeds/low timings with high capacities/numbers of modules. I'm unsure of if this will change to a high degree with the upcoming CPUs or not (they may have IMCs better able to handling it), but I mention it because it might be better to factor in getting the amount of RAM you think you'll need up front, and to possibly get in a lower number of capacities. I've personally never had issues running four modules, but it does seem to be a point of attention with DDR5 right now. I do also tend to personally get more RAM than I think I'll need up front (this helps increase your chances of drawing out the life of a platform IMO, but mostly if you're specifically after longevity rather than staying on top of performance).

Right now rumors (again, it all comes back to waiting so you can weed out guesswork from rumors) say the upcoming AMD CPUs will have an Infinity Fabric that does ~3,000 MHz, so it'd match 1:1 with 6,000 MHz RAM.
pew pew Aug 11, 2022 @ 3:07pm 
Rhetorical question.

I bought i5 10400 and z490 in September 2020 (then sold) thought that the object would be maintained for a long time
after 2 years, intel makes a new socket and i3 12100 processor which is better
, wanted to buy ryzen 3600 then it went up in price
amd in this case held back its ports for a long time, could it be replaced on 5600, not my motherboard

and so I didn't understand what is better, to collect the initial-middle PC and change it after 2-3-5 years, or spend a lot of money to assemble High End?

Option 1 seems more interesting to me
There are no clear answers to these questions((

translate.google
Last edited by pew pew; Aug 11, 2022 @ 3:08pm
emoticorpse Aug 11, 2022 @ 3:14pm 
Originally posted by pew pew:
Rhetorical question.

I bought i5 10400 and z490 in September 2020 (then sold) thought that the object would be maintained for a long time
after 2 years, intel makes a new socket and i3 12100 processor which is better
, wanted to buy ryzen 3600 then it went up in price
amd in this case held back its ports for a long time, could it be replaced on 5600, not my motherboard

and so I didn't understand what is better, to collect the initial-middle PC and change it after 2-3-5 years, or spend a lot of money to assemble High End?

Option 1 seems more interesting to me
There are no clear answers to these questions((

translate.google

mid-high is always a good place to land
🦜Cloud Boy🦜 Aug 11, 2022 @ 8:25pm 
AM5 socket will last for next 2 to 3 generations. If you buy a Ryzen 5800x now, it will last for next 5 years. So, you don't need to think about AM5's longevity.

Look, 5 years old intel i7-8700k is still doing fine, that's a 6c/12t CPU.
Ryzen 5800x is 8c/16t.
Last edited by 🦜Cloud Boy🦜; Aug 11, 2022 @ 8:30pm
< >
Showing 1-15 of 60 comments
Per page: 1530 50

Date Posted: Aug 11, 2022 @ 3:46am