Cloudy Apr 2, 2019 @ 4:46pm
Disconnect USB Sound
Every time I boot up and log into my PC, it makes the disconnect USB sound once. What is odd is that it doesn't make a connect sound afterwards but all my USB connected things still work. Is there a way to figure out why it is doing this or at least what thing it is? I assume I'll have to by trial and error one by one unplug one thing and reboot to see if it does it. Not a huge issue but thought I would ask you guys.
< >
Showing 1-15 of 15 comments
Omega Apr 2, 2019 @ 4:58pm 
Trial and error is the only way to check for random connects/disconnects of devices on and right after boot.

Windows log are far from helpful with this stuff so that isn't an option unless you can undestand long meaningless strings of hexadecimal values. I looked in to a better software-sided way of checking this before, I couldn't find any besides tools which you have to run to monitor this, and by the time you are able to run these tools the disconnect/reconnect would have happend already.
Carlsberg Apr 2, 2019 @ 5:00pm 
Do you have software usb emulators that install on boot up? If not then i would suspect your usb mouse.

Check to see if you have any log entries in event manager.
Omega Apr 2, 2019 @ 5:07pm 
Windows doesn't log the connecting and disconnecting of USB devices, although this can be configured. It will not provide any more information then we already know, "something happened".

It does log request for drivers by these devices but those logs are also not helpful at all.
𝔇ave Apr 2, 2019 @ 5:11pm 
when i got my new rgb mechanical kb i noticed that i had the same issue for a month or so. the disconnect sound would happen and the rgb lighting on the kb would turn off for a second then return. no reconnect sound after and the kb still worked as far as i can tell since the media buttons would still be illuminated just not the keys or logo. i put it down to aura sync being buggy or something. it doesn't sync the colors completely till windows has booted fully. only the gpu rgb is affected by this so i guess it's just dodgy software lol. anyway it hasn't happened for quite some time and i can live with the color desync untill boot.
Carlsberg Apr 2, 2019 @ 5:11pm 
Originally posted by Omega:
Windows doesn't log the connecting and disconnecting of USB devices, although this can be configured. It will not provide any more information then we already know, "something happened".

It does log request for drivers by these devices but those logs are also not helpful at all.

thanks for that, i just threw it in as an afterthought, i think the mouse is probably the most common culprit, it and the usb keyboards are about the only usb device that is active at boot up for most people.
Cloudy Apr 2, 2019 @ 5:26pm 
Originally posted by Dave:
when i got my new rgb mechanical kb i noticed that i had the same issue for a month or so. the disconnect sound would happen and the rgb lighting on the kb would turn off for a second then return. no reconnect sound after and the kb still worked as far as i can tell since the media buttons would still be illuminated just not the keys or logo. i put it down to aura sync being buggy or something. it doesn't sync the colors completely till windows has booted fully. only the gpu rgb is affected by this so i guess it's just dodgy software lol. anyway it hasn't happened for quite some time and i can live with the color desync untill boot.
Thanks for that reply, that makes me think it may be the iCUE software that controls my mouse. I will try to put a delay on startup and see if that fixes it.
Last edited by Cloudy; Apr 2, 2019 @ 5:56pm
Omega Apr 2, 2019 @ 5:29pm 
It indeed may very well be Corsair iCUE.

Do you really need iCUE? I wouldn't want to have software installed for a mouse.. I would just uninstall it, even if it's not what is causing these problems. Buggy bloatware.

If you do need the software but you don't need it always running you can remove it from startup applications in the Task Manager.
Last edited by Omega; Apr 2, 2019 @ 5:30pm
Cloudy Apr 2, 2019 @ 5:33pm 

Do you really need iCUE? I wouldn't want to have software installed for a mouse.. I would just uninstall it, even if it's not what is causing these problems. Buggy bloatware.

If you do need the software but you don't need it always running you can remove it from startup applications in the Task Manager.
It sets my mouse's DPI and RGB profiles, and also the RGB of my CPU cooler. But yea it is a subpar software. But I think my mouse will use the wrong default DPI profiles without it. I will still keep that in mind and test some things out though.
Last edited by Cloudy; Apr 2, 2019 @ 5:41pm
LiMpY Apr 3, 2019 @ 5:42am 
iCUE is fine (quiet) here for KB and Mouse. It's totally stable.
Omega Apr 3, 2019 @ 6:01am 
Originally posted by LiMpY:
Last time I used it it didn't detect my PSU and AIO correctly and various features didn't work right or at all.

Manufacturer software is only there to look pretty not to be function, stable or safe.
Last edited by Omega; Apr 3, 2019 @ 6:01am
Cloudy Apr 3, 2019 @ 8:33am 
Originally posted by LiMpY:
I now can comfirm that the source is due to the latest version of iCUE for me with a M65 mouse. It makes the disconnect USB sound from the mouse when I first launch the software; although everything still works. (Couldn't figure out a workaround aside from not using iCUE all together, but I sorta want it for DPI custom profiles.)
LiMpY Apr 6, 2019 @ 5:56am 
Just noticed your confirmation. Have you checked the corsair forum for similar issues?
Revelene Apr 6, 2019 @ 7:24am 
It is the Corsair software. It is the cause of the connect and disconnect sound. Can absolutely confirm as I went through this myself trying to find this exact sound.

The sound means nothing and Corsair software is a joke.
Last edited by Revelene; Apr 6, 2019 @ 7:25am
LiMpY Apr 7, 2019 @ 6:14am 
Updated to 1809 (forced) yesterday. 3 problems right away
iCUE creating errors. Issue known by Corsair. Cause is MS changes to system.management with no fix in near future.
PCIe USB device not working. No fix, can't find an updated driver.
ASUS Sonic Studio for Strix Headsets won't open it's window. No new driver so no fix.
Rolled back to 1803 and it's all good.
PI-TI-Ful!!
Cloudy Dec 1, 2020 @ 10:25am 
[SOLUTION]

So I figured out the issue after all this time, hopefully someone will see this who is having the same problem. I know it was from my Corsair iCue software that controls my RGB lighting and fans. For some reason it has to do with the USB cable that goes from my liquid cooler's pump to the motherboard, although I think some also have the same issue due to their other Corsair products that connect via USB. When I don't have iCue on startup, the USB Disconnect sound would not happen when I would sign in. Although for my lighting I really wanted iCue on startup... So I figured out going into Device Manager and in "Human Interface Devices" I right-clicked every single "USB Input Device" and the "Corsair composite virtual input device" and in their properties in the Power Management tab disabled "Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power". (I first tried doing the same thing for all the "USB Root Hub" under "Universal Serial Bus controllers", but that didn't fix the problem for me, so just wanted to make that clear so others don't do that instead by mistake.)
Last edited by Cloudy; Dec 1, 2020 @ 10:26am
< >
Showing 1-15 of 15 comments
Per page: 1530 50

Date Posted: Apr 2, 2019 @ 4:46pm