lol Nov 23, 2018 @ 3:13am
Windows 10 doesn't park CPU cores?
I was using Win7 and I reformatted the whole computer and installed Win10 fresh and I noticed that in the System monitoring window that none of the cores show up as parked and all seem to be unparked?
Last edited by lol; Nov 23, 2018 @ 7:25am
< >
Showing 1-15 of 17 comments
tacoshy Nov 23, 2018 @ 3:27am 
How do you see in Windows Task Manager if a core is parked or not?

Why should they parked all the time when you look into Taskmanager?
Bad 💀 Motha Nov 23, 2018 @ 4:30am 
LOL lies. Only way to see parked cores is via the Registry.
Install your Chipset Drivers and you won't have any issues.
lol Nov 23, 2018 @ 5:22am 
What are you two talking about? I am talking about the resource monitor window which can easily be accessed through task manager. On windows 7 depending on the power setting I had, the cores would usually be parked unless being used yet in Windows 10 all teh cores are unparked even when not used, no matter which prowe setting I chose.

It isn't a big issue as the CPU only uses what it has to use but it's just something that I am not used to and I guess it is the norm with WIndows 10. Although apparently you can change the registry so it matches WIndows 7 but I am not that bothered as I think the parking cores thing makes little to 0 difference to anything.
Last edited by lol; Nov 23, 2018 @ 5:37am
tacoshy Nov 23, 2018 @ 5:58am 
Originally posted by Kyle:
What are you two talking about? I am talking about the resource monitor window which can easily be accessed through task manager. On windows 7 depending on the power setting I had, the cores would usually be parked unless being used yet in Windows 10 all teh cores are unparked even when not used, no matter which prowe setting I chose.

It isn't a big issue as the CPU only uses what it has to use but it's just something that I am not used to and I guess it is the norm with WIndows 10. Although apparently you can change the registry so it matches WIndows 7 but I am not that bothered as I think the parking cores thing makes little to 0 difference to anything.

do you know what parking a core actually means? You cant see it in a task manager, you couldnt even do that in windows 7.
lol Nov 23, 2018 @ 6:08am 
Yes and obviously you don't. I could see which ones were parked in Win7 in the resource monitor and I just accessed the Resource Monitor via the task manager and saw my cpu usage and the cores are not being parked although this guy seems to have parked cores in Win 10 https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/games_windows_10/parked-cores-windows-10/27f33fd2-e264-4a4f-87f4-82f5fe47dfea

Obviously none of you know what you are talking about.
Last edited by rotNdude; Nov 23, 2018 @ 10:36am
Overseer Nov 23, 2018 @ 6:14am 
Originally posted by tacoshy:
do you know what parking a core actually means? You cant see it in a task manager, you couldnt even do that in windows 7.
I just checked with my Ryzen. Windows Task Manager actually says "Parked" when hovering over cores not in use.
lol Nov 23, 2018 @ 6:20am 
Originally posted by ;1744478429680853671:
I just checked with my Ryzen. Windows Task Manager actually says "Parked" when hovering over cores not in use.
In Win7 the parked ones used to say for example "CPU 5 parked" in a very dim text whilst the unparked cores read "CPU 6" and it was in black text.

In Windows 10 home which I have, all of the cores are unparked and after some research quite a few people have reported the same, (it may differ with different windows versions).

Anyway the parked/unparked cores and monitor in windows is pretty basic stuff, I am surprised these guys have no clue about it lol. I am using Intel and you are using Ryzen @tacoshy so it isn't just on intel.
Last edited by lol; Nov 23, 2018 @ 6:20am
Overseer Nov 23, 2018 @ 6:32am 
In Win7 the parked ones used to say for example "CPU 5 parked" in a very dim text whilst the unparked cores read "CPU 6" and it was in black text.

In Windows 10 home which I have, all of the cores are unparked and after some research quite a few people have reported the same, (it may differ with different windows versions).
I do remember visual cues actually making it clear in task manager (i primarily use Process Explorer for many years by now, which never shows any signs of parking). Thats why i checked. But now i do have to hover over cores (graph must be changed to "Logical Processors") with my mouse to get the "CPU X - Parked" info.
tacoshy Nov 23, 2018 @ 6:33am 
parkign a core is putting it into a C-States which is required to boost a single core. That is how Turbo Boost works. If we take the example of a 7700K with a Base clock of 4.2 Ghz and a Boost clock of 4.5GHz, the 4.5GHz boost can only be obtained by parking 3 cores in the c-states to transfer their TDP to the remainign core to boost it higher to the oevrall same TDP.

Windows 10 is desgined for mobile hardware as smartphone and tablets in mind aswell. So it is heavy supporting multicore/thread. That is also why it will not park those core by default as it not relays on singlecore performance. It overall gets a better performance and les spwoer suage when using all cores lightly instead of pushing all load on a single core.

However I never recognized the parked text on windows 7. that is new to me but I also dont know everything. On the other hand I'm also an overcloekr who pushes the CPU always at its limit disabling c-states by default.
lol Nov 23, 2018 @ 6:44am 
parkign a core is putting it into a C-States which is required to boost a single core. That is how Turbo Boost works. If we take the example of a 7700K with a Base clock of 4.2 Ghz and a Boost clock of 4.5GHz, the 4.5GHz boost can only be obtained by parking 3 cores in the c-states to transfer their TDP to the remainign core to boost it higher to the oevrall same TDP.

Windows 10 is desgined for mobile hardware as smartphone and tablets in mind aswell. So it is heavy supporting multicore/thread. That is also why it will not park those core by default as it not relays on singlecore performance. It overall gets a better performance and les spwoer suage when using all cores lightly instead of pushing all load on a single core.

However I never recognized the parked text on windows 7. that is new to me but I also dont know everything. On the other hand I'm also an overcloekr who pushes the CPU always at its limit disabling c-states by default.

It's cool, I just never really noticed any difference in games when Win7 used to automatically park and unpark cores and when I used to just set them all to unpark whilst gaming I don't think it made any difference again. Yet if I set the affinity of the cores in for example.. under a game's process and parked a few of the cores then the game would just start to fart lol.

From my experience unless I am mistaken.. Window's taking charge of the parking and unparking of the cores makes no difference to how the cores are being used as they seem to act like they are parked anyway even when they are all forced to be unparked. But that's just what I have noticed. THe only difference I see is the power saving I guess which I would imagine is minimal when all are unparked. I am too tired to think any more about it now.
Last edited by lol; Nov 23, 2018 @ 7:41am
pasa Nov 23, 2018 @ 11:32am 

Yes you could.

On my laptop if I set power plan to balanced (or anything below highest) it will show Parked in taskman for at least half of cores regularly.

plenty on that in goolgle too
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aRFCb5Ydeu8
here even you can see the picture.
http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/answers/id-2686673/disable-cpu-core-parking.html
Last edited by pasa; Nov 23, 2018 @ 5:00pm
Double Deez Nuts Nov 24, 2018 @ 5:13pm 
why is this such a big concern? dont games already utilize the CPU fully?
lol Nov 24, 2018 @ 11:46pm 
Originally posted by 🌋↪ToƦcH↩🌋:

I don't think anyone has stated that is is big concern at all. The conversation immediately turned into a debate of who was right and who was wrong about something unrelated to my original post. I just wondered why my version of Windows 10 didn't park the cores like Windows 7 did when they were not in use, it's a power saving feature but not a big concern, thanks for your big concern though ;)
Bad 💀 Motha Nov 24, 2018 @ 11:50pm 
Originally posted by 🌋↪ToƦcH↩🌋:

I don't think anyone has stated that is is big concern at all. The conversation immediately turned into a debate of who was right and who was wrong about something unrelated to my original post. I just wondered why my version of Windows 10 didn't park the cores like Windows 7 did when they were not in use, it's a power saving feature but not a big concern, thanks for your big concern though ;)

Like I said, install your Motherboard Chipset Drivers.
Double Deez Nuts Nov 25, 2018 @ 11:11am 
If the power plan in W10 set to maximum performance, it unparks the cores.
Balanced fixes it
Last edited by Double Deez Nuts; Nov 25, 2018 @ 11:12am
< >
Showing 1-15 of 17 comments
Per page: 1530 50

Date Posted: Nov 23, 2018 @ 3:13am