This topic has been locked
Random music suddenly starts playing in Steam?
So I was just browsing the Steam forums as usual when suddenly jewish music started playing telling me to give steam my phone number and address. I used CTRL+ALT+DELETE, but couldn't find any suspicious programs. I then proceeded to exit Steam and the music stopped. Is this a part of Steam officially? If so, is there a way to disable it?
Last edited by Terrific Tea; Dec 26, 2015 @ 5:06pm
< >
Showing 1-15 of 20 comments
Only thing I can think of is you had a store page open and a trailer was playing
Zefar May 5, 2013 @ 5:44am 
Store pages have turned the sound off on the video automatically so it's more likely it was a Greenlight item. As they have sound on by default.

Other than that I'm not sure what could cause it.
Maurish Aug 21, 2013 @ 1:28pm 
I had the same issue just a moment ago.
I have no idea what caused it but I guess you could say a dubstep/techno beat was playing. It took me off guard, thought it might be an advertisement from a website but that was not the case. The mixer clearly stated that the sound was coming from Steam. I changed pages, browsed the forum but couldn't get rid of it. The Store trailers have sound muted and I haven't browsed Greenlight today.
I could hear someone speaking as well, might have been Russian, not 100% sure, the beat was still there so I guess it was a video of some sort but where and how? It's very odd, had it probably for three minutes and then it stopped.
After browsing the web, it seems that it has happened before (different music/video) but seems to be rare. I wonder what could cause it.

Has anyone else experienced something similar?
Shepard Oct 1, 2014 @ 5:47am 
I did some research on my PC and found that my RE6 came with digital bonuses, art books, wall papers, soundtracks etc..And I found the right soundtrack and moved it to a separate folder out of the RE6 file, the random music stopped, or haven't experienced it anymore when usually it played the track 3 to 9 times a day. Other players see this if you have this problem with RE6 or other games :)
Shepard Oct 1, 2014 @ 5:47am 
And here's another thing, If your keyboard has a hotkey for music, when you press play steam starts playing music also when it's open on your screen.
ddynamite Dec 14, 2014 @ 10:51am 
This happened to me to when I wanted to play unturned just before i turned it on the half life 2 sound track started up randomly
KLW May 25, 2015 @ 7:48pm 
i know this thread is old, but heavy metal keep randomly playing from my steam? i found the song title "Murderer" its the weirdest thing
ratibor May 25, 2015 @ 7:55pm 
help
lnv42 Sep 7, 2015 @ 8:32am 
PLEASE HELP!
same with me But the music wont ever stop.
even when i exit out steam.
Its playing right now.
HELP
and its probably the longest song ive ever heard.
"All these walls"
Then a new song plays
Then another.
HELP! ME!
Last edited by lnv42; Sep 7, 2015 @ 8:33am
ShizukuXS Sep 27, 2015 @ 8:44pm 
I just had the same issue,it actually freaked me out a bit,i was writing my friend's username on the search bar to add em when suddenly "Only You" by "The Platters" started playing,it was freaky,i saw the steam player had opened and was playing a song,i wondered why it opened at all,and steam was the only thing open at the time,i closed the player,and the song was still going,i went back to the library and I noticed that even tho it was playing "Only You",for some reason it says it's playing "Walkin' my baby back home",which I don't recognize from the music in my computer.it was scary.
Agent Nov 29, 2015 @ 10:25am 
Steam CLIENT doesn't give out any sound anyways, mute it in your sound setting on your PC. (Don't worry, notifications' sounds will remain)
@#@BUM@#@ Nov 29, 2015 @ 10:26am 
я закинул 5 доларов но мой стим акаунт ещё ограничен
@#@BUM@#@ Nov 29, 2015 @ 10:27am 
неограничен
ONLY.TRADE.OFFERS Nov 29, 2015 @ 10:36am 
мой не ограничен
esc Dec 26, 2015 @ 7:50am 
It's not happened to me or my friends, Its only happened to one of them but not me :S
< >
Showing 1-15 of 20 comments
Per page: 1530 50

Date Posted: May 5, 2013 @ 4:22am