Timblebits Dec 22, 2014 @ 3:24pm
[FIXED] Steam crash after login.
Whenever I log into Steam, it crashes. This only happens when I press Enter after I enter my account name and password, and it pops up a window that says 'Updating Steam Information...'. After that, another window pops up which says 'Connecting to Steam account: heshie...', and then the crash occurs. I can log into Origin and Uplay just fine, so it is definitely a problem with Steam, not my network. I updated drivers and windows, disabled my antivirus, restarted my computer and router countless times, disabled background programs, verified the Steam cache 5 times, and have searched on the support forums for going on 5 hours now. Any help is appreciated.
Last edited by Timblebits; Dec 22, 2014 @ 9:18pm
< >
Showing 1-15 of 94 comments
Pcnuttie Dec 22, 2014 @ 3:37pm 
Maybe deleting the registry.blog and restarting steam might help or you could always reinstall.
Timblebits Dec 22, 2014 @ 4:10pm 
Already deleted that, and I want to save re-installing as a last resort, as I have 400+ GB of games installed.
Timblebits Dec 22, 2014 @ 7:37pm 
Alright, I'm about to reinstall steam, I have all of my games backed up. Will post if this fixes the issue.
WhereIsBusmin Dec 22, 2014 @ 7:40pm 
Originally posted by xTcR | heshie M:
Whenever I log into Steam, it crashes. This only happens when I press Enter after I enter my account name and password, and it pops up a window that says 'Updating Steam Information...'. After that, another window pops up which says 'Connecting to Steam account: heshie...', and then the crash occurs. I can log into Origin and Uplay just fine, so it is definitely a problem with Steam, not my network. I updated drivers and windows, disabled my antivirus, restarted my computer and router countless times, disabled background programs, verified the Steam cache 5 times, and have searched on the support forums for going on 5 hours now. Any help is appreciated.

Originally posted by xTcR | heshie M:
Alright, I'm about to reinstall steam, I have all of my games backed up. Will post if this fixes the issue.

Have you tried this (not sure what you mean by "verify Steam cache")?: Steam Support > Refresh Your Steam Files

Why you may need to refresh your Steam files

Refreshing your Steam files can resolve many issues that can be encountered in the Steam application, store, or games. Performing this operation will ensure that there are no issues that could be resolved with a new installation of Steam, and is a good place to start any troubleshooting process.
Last edited by WhereIsBusmin; Dec 22, 2014 @ 7:42pm
Timblebits Dec 22, 2014 @ 8:25pm 
Yes, I have done that, that's what I meant. Sorry for confusion.
Timblebits Dec 22, 2014 @ 8:27pm 
Reinstalling Steam has not worked.
Cass Dec 22, 2014 @ 8:38pm 
Sorry I can't be of any help, but I've been having the exact same issue. It's good to know I'm not the only one. I've done absolutely EVERYTHING to try to fix the issue, and I came to the conclusion it was probably my computer. I was just about to do a system restore before coming back to the forums and seeing your post. Hopefully we can both get some answers... this is extremely frustrating.
Timblebits Dec 22, 2014 @ 8:45pm 
Yeah, I am on the verge of doing a system restore myself. I have also submitted a steam support ticket. If I can't fix this by tomorrow, I probably will do a restore.
Mystic Dec 22, 2014 @ 8:48pm 
great game !
Timblebits Dec 22, 2014 @ 9:18pm 
I HAVE FIXED IT! PRAISE ♥♥♥♥♥♥♥ JESUS OH LAWD
Go into the steam folder, right click on Steam.exe, and click 'Troubleshoot Compatibility'
I never thought it would be that simple, lol
Cass Dec 22, 2014 @ 9:22pm 
You, my friend, are a life saver. It worked! I never would've thought of that. Thank you!
Epitáfio Dec 22, 2014 @ 9:37pm 
THX
sovietvampyr Nov 7, 2015 @ 6:49am 
hi thx again you saved my life but my workshop seems to be blank as well as the steam shop and i always have to repeat the same process if i want to launch my steam again. Any tips or help would be appreciated i know this post was like a year ago but i still have hope thx again in advance.
Mordakai Jul 16, 2016 @ 2:35am 
I have had this issue. Shortly after logging in, Steam would crash. I have attempted the following:
- Running in Compatibility Mode (same crash)
- Cleaning up the Config (same crash)
- Restarting the Computer (same crash)

While doing this, I noticed that the crash produces 4 error files in the dumps folder of your steam folder. I then tried doing a fresh install with an old SteamSetup.exe. And that was the solution. By installing an old version of steam over the current one, it forces Steam to update successfully, which fixed whatever caused it.
satanicballerina Sep 25, 2016 @ 8:20pm 
Same ♥♥♥♥ is happening to me and none of these things have fixed it. Don't know where to get an "old SteamSetup.exe" though.

Been trying to figure out how to force launch into NOT big picture mode to see if that is causing the crash but it seems impossible. Steam launch options from here this support page don't do ♥♥♥♥.

This wasn't an issue til some random garbage update they put out. I didn't change anything on my system. Also steam support hasn't responded. So lame.
< >
Showing 1-15 of 94 comments
Per page: 1530 50

Date Posted: Dec 22, 2014 @ 3:24pm