This topic has been locked
didububi Dec 14, 2014 @ 7:27am
Turn off achievements / achievement notifications
Hi all. I already have Final Fantasy VII on PSN but am interested in the convenience of having it on my laptop. I've heard the PC version has dreaded 'achievements' which probably ping at you in times when you're most immersed.

Any way I can disable such things? If so, then I'll be getting me some PC Final Fantasy :D

Cheers.

PS - is it true that the FMV cutscenes have slightly better (or less noisy) definition in the Steam FF7 than the PSN/PS1 versions?

PPS - is it also true that the entire original musical files from the PS1 is restored on this PC version or is it only partially restored?

I guess the additional questions may belong in a different subforum :)
< >
Showing 1-4 of 4 comments
Kargor Dec 14, 2014 @ 7:31am 
You can try turning off the Steam overlay; if that doesn't work, then there's no way.
didububi Dec 14, 2014 @ 7:42am 
Originally posted by Kargor:
You can try turning off the Steam overlay; if that doesn't work, then there's no way.

Hiya mate, I've done that now, thanks (the setting in "in-game").

Anyway I can quickly test it?
didububi Dec 14, 2014 @ 12:45pm 
couldn't resist any longer and just bought FF7, haha :D

I can confirm the FMV looks fine, tho' not necessarily better than PS1, but not worse either. And the music so far is exactly the same too.

I did unfortunately get a jarring message after the first fight that the 'achievement' is syncing with the server.

Oh well...
captaincofresi Jan 2, 2015 @ 8:09am 
I agree with you, that turning off achievements should be a feature on Steam. Or at least turn off achievements popups. Preferably both, since I don't really care about them. For me playing a game is be about immersion and flow, not achievements.

E.g. when playing the game Real World Racing, as Steam did before in the game The Raven, legacy of a master Thief; Steam disrupts my immersion in the game, by using achievements that popup during the gameplay. I find this very anoying and it seems Steam is only focussing on the 'achiever' player-type, wich I find very dissapointing. Since I personally score average on all of Andrzej Marczewski's player types, for reference see: http://www.gamification.co/2013/08/12/a-new-perspective-on-the-bartle-player-types-for-gamification/ .

In the former game, The Raven I could just turn off the Steam overlay and the popup would not show up anymore. This is not the case with Real World Racing, even when I do NOT us the Steam Overlay I still get these anoying popups during the racing / gameplay that totally distort the immersion all the people at the game developer worked so hard on to deliver.

Last edited by captaincofresi; Jan 2, 2015 @ 8:09am
< >
Showing 1-4 of 4 comments
Per page: 1530 50

Date Posted: Dec 14, 2014 @ 7:27am