GHOST Jan 26, 2015 @ 4:16pm
How to play a Hard Copy of Civilization IV online??
I read somewhere that it's been switched to Steamworks since the Gamespy servers were shut down. Thing is i purchased a hard copy of the Complete Edition and i'd love to play it with others, but it's not on my Steam account since i didn't buy it here.

Is there some way to get online??
< >
Showing 1-15 of 15 comments
eram Jan 26, 2015 @ 4:16pm 
Did you try activating your cdkey on steam?
Hi-Torque Jan 26, 2015 @ 4:27pm 
Games>Activate a product on Steam
GHOST Jan 26, 2015 @ 4:49pm 
Originally posted by eram:

I own Civilization IV: The Complete Edition.

It includes all DLC and the main game on one Disc. There is however, no key in the game. Doesn't require one to install/play either. The topic from 2K said to send a support ticket which i did, but i figured i'd ask here as well incase someone could help a bit faster.
Last edited by GHOST; Jan 26, 2015 @ 4:50pm
eram Jan 26, 2015 @ 4:57pm 
Well that's odd because listed here is:

Civilization IV: Complete Edition CD Keys in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7
https://support.steampowered.com/kb_article.php?ref=7480-wusf-3601

They may have made more than 1 version of the complete edition?
TirithRR Jan 26, 2015 @ 4:58pm 
Probably, ones before what ever agreement they made with Steam to allow Retail key redemption.
GHOST Jan 26, 2015 @ 5:14pm 
Well that's odd because listed here is:

Civilization IV: Complete Edition CD Keys in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7
https://support.steampowered.com/kb_article.php?ref=7480-wusf-3601

They may have made more than 1 version of the complete edition?

Originally posted by TirithRR:
Probably, ones before what ever agreement they made with Steam to allow Retail key redemption.

This is possible. I ordered it from Amazon recently, but it could of been an older copy.
I would check it's date if it had one but i'm not sure where to look.

Either way, this means it DOES have a steam key just not my copy. Surely there must be some way around it though if the whole point of this was to support the users who owned older copies. Perhaps that's why i needed to submit a ticket, is that they would give a key.

I do hope so, i'm not sure if it's very active but i still would like to play a game of Civ4 online.
eram Jan 26, 2015 @ 5:16pm 
I'm guessing neither steam or 2k will give you a key. Steam is under no obligation and 2k will probably give you the runaround, but you already made a ticket and you never know maybe they were given keys to give to users or something.
Last edited by eram; Jan 26, 2015 @ 5:16pm
GHOST Jan 26, 2015 @ 5:22pm 
I hope so. I mean.. surely they would? Why else tell you to do all this. I have the Order confirmation etc if they need proof i own it too.

Originally posted by 2K Support:
Civilization IV:

The patch that replaces GameSpy with Steamworks for multiplayer functionality is now available via Steam.

The game functions identically to the previous GameSpy version with the exception that the “Direct IP” option has been removed as it is no longer supported.
Save game data should not be negatively affected. If you own a physical disc version of Civilization IV and are interested in receiving this multiplayer update, please submit a support request.

http://support.2k.com/hc/en-us/articles/201967707-2K-Online-Server-Migration-from-GameSpy-Technology
Last edited by GHOST; Jan 26, 2015 @ 5:23pm
TirithRR Jan 26, 2015 @ 5:24pm 
I'd imagine that moving to the Steam copy would still require a CD Key of sorts that they would use to be able to prove you have a unique copy of the game.
GHOST Jan 26, 2015 @ 5:57pm 
Originally posted by TirithRR:
I'd imagine that moving to the Steam copy would still require a CD Key of sorts that they would use to be able to prove you have a unique copy of the game.

As i said, i have a Reciept still in my name as well as photo proof. Hell, i could take a picture of the game with my monitor in the background if i needed to.
Staryn Jan 26, 2015 @ 8:18pm 

The retail versions of Civ IV Complete do not have keys (or DRM for that matter). Neither did Game of The Year Edition or Beyond The Sword.

Not sure how OP could go about registering it on Steam.
GHOST Jan 28, 2015 @ 10:13am 
Originally posted by Espresso:

The retail versions of Civ IV Complete do not have keys (or DRM for that matter). Neither did Game of The Year Edition or Beyond The Sword.

Not sure how OP could go about registering it on Steam.

I contacted 2K Support about the matter, like their post had said.
It took about 3 days total, one for each reply. But if you can prove you own a Physical Copy they will email you a Steam Key. It wasn't to complicated honestly which i'm glad about.

So yeah, to anybody else wondering the same thing i was. That's what you do!
Staryn Jan 28, 2015 @ 12:10pm 
Wow. If I had known that I wouldn't have had to get a seperate copy. Bought the game three times now..
GHOST Jan 28, 2015 @ 12:11pm 
Originally posted by Espresso:
Wow. If I had known that I wouldn't have had to get a seperate copy. Bought the game three times now..

Why did you buy it THREE times?
I understand the digital part but what's the other two for? lol
Staryn Jan 28, 2015 @ 1:13pm 
Bought it retail ages ago. Disc broke. Bought it again. Got it again on Steam.
< >
Showing 1-15 of 15 comments
Per page: 1530 50

Date Posted: Jan 26, 2015 @ 4:16pm