This topic has been locked
Change/Remove phone number Error 16
I've been trying to change my phone number tonight but I'm getting the following error:

"An error occurred trying to handle that request. Please give us a few minutes and try again. (16)"

I no longer have access to the old phone number, so I've tried both change my phone number option and just remove my phone number, which is basically the same thing.

Is there anything I can do on my end, or is it all up to Valve to help me?
< >
Showing 1-8 of 8 comments
rawWwRrr Mar 12, 2020 @ 8:30pm 
Did you try waiting a few minutes and trying again?
MalikQayum Mar 12, 2020 @ 11:51pm 
error 16 = timeout, as described in the error message, implies you have been put on a timeout. repeating what you do won't help you. give it some time before trying again.
(i don't know when the timeout expires but just reading from the message you could assume it is a few minutes.)
Last edited by MalikQayum; Mar 12, 2020 @ 11:52pm
victor_kruger Mar 13, 2020 @ 5:19am 
I waited overnight and just tried this morning and I'm still getting the error. I've had issues in the past where steam errors said I was doing something too often or too fast, not just a generic message such as the one in my OP.
MalikQayum Mar 13, 2020 @ 6:54am 
ye i am not sure what to say, because if you keep repeating what you do, you will keep getting hit by the timeout (16) error.

so question is what are you doing? are you doing something wrong perhaps? i don't know.
it is a bit weird because you seem to just recently enable steam guard, so if you got through that it is weird you an not able to change the phone number..

maybe you need to contact support to figure this out.
this is how it is, for days, for weeks, you won't be able to change the email/phone in the near future. if you want you can email steam supprort
Gwidu May 19, 2020 @ 5:01am 
duit
Cosybyte Apr 13, 2023 @ 10:17am 
I tried to report a fake review and am also getting the same error
Bob Apr 13, 2023 @ 11:44am 
This thread was quite old before the recent post, so we're locking it to prevent confusion.
< >
Showing 1-8 of 8 comments
Per page: 1530 50

Date Posted: Mar 12, 2020 @ 8:29pm