Steam crashes on verifying installation stage
It would start Verifying installation and it would just go poof in a second. I tried to open it over and over again and tried most methods from other threads and It just doesn't work I even tried to reinstall Steam but even that doesn't help me. Even restarting my PC doesn't help me same thing goes as to running Steam as administrator and netsh winsock reset on CMD. does anyone have had this problem if so what is there to fix it
< >
Showing 1-6 of 6 comments
Lavie Jul 13, 2023 @ 12:47am 
Hi!

Try if you can found a log a the error via the Event Viewer, and write here the exact error message?
https://www.howtogeek.com/123646/htg-explains-what-the-windows-event-viewer-is-and-how-you-can-use-it/

More details found on the net if that can help you with that:
Try opening the Windows Event Viewer by right clicking the start button and selecting Event Viewer from the menu (third from the top option on my machine). From there, expand Windows Logs and select Application. The middle pane should contain a list with columns named "Level, Date and Time, Source, Event ID, Task Category" and so on (the specific columns may differ on your computer).

Portal 2 crashing should result in Windows writing an entry with level Error and source Application Error to this list. To find the entry corresponding to the crash, locate entries matching those values (using the Date and Time column as a guide), and click to display details in the lower middle pane. The entry corresponding to Portal 2 crashing will list the Faulting application name as portal2.exe. Once you have found an entry, note the Faulting module name and Exception code; these will provide a clue as to what is ultimately causing the problems.
76561199092942638 Jul 13, 2023 @ 3:01am 
Originally posted by Lavie:
Hi!

Try if you can found a log a the error via the Event Viewer, and write here the exact error message?
{LINK REMOVED}

More details found on the net if that can help you with that:
Try opening the Windows Event Viewer by right clicking the start button and selecting Event Viewer from the menu (third from the top option on my machine). From there, expand Windows Logs and select Application. The middle pane should contain a list with columns named "Level, Date and Time, Source, Event ID, Task Category" and so on (the specific columns may differ on your computer).

Portal 2 crashing should result in Windows writing an entry with level Error and source Application Error to this list. To find the entry corresponding to the crash, locate entries matching those values (using the Date and Time column as a guide), and click to display details in the lower middle pane. The entry corresponding to Portal 2 crashing will list the Faulting application name as portal2.exe. Once you have found an entry, note the Faulting module name and Exception code; these will provide a clue as to what is ultimately causing the problems.

Faulting application name: steam.exe, version: 8.18.16.37, time stamp: 0x64ac9bd3
Faulting module name: symamsi.dll, version: 15.7.12.41, time stamp: 0x63a24756
Exception code: 0xc0000005
Fault offset: 0x0001bdc4
Faulting process id: 0x1310
Faulting application start time: 0x01d9b5680008f26b
Faulting application path: C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steam.exe
Faulting module path: C:\Program Files\Norton Security\Engine32\22.23.5.106\symamsi.dll
Report Id: cce1c728-0fba-407f-b01b-cdd3aa6469c5
Faulting package full name:
Faulting package-relative application ID:

I don't really know what this all means since I'm not a computer wizard but i hope this helps
Lavie Jul 13, 2023 @ 3:15am 
At first look, the issue come from Norton Antivirus. Add Steam to the Norton Exception...
https://appuals.com/how-to-add-steam-as-an-exception-to-your-antivirus-or-firewall-software/
Last edited by Lavie; Jul 13, 2023 @ 3:16am
Lavie Jul 13, 2023 @ 3:18am 
I will make a doublon, because Steam theses days often block post with a link for a short time... Same info without the link (How to add exceptions in Norton).

At first look, the issue come from Norton Antivirus. Add Steam to the Norton Exception...
Last edited by Lavie; Jul 13, 2023 @ 3:18am
76561199092942638 Jul 13, 2023 @ 5:33am 
I will make a doublon, because Steam theses days often block post with a link for a short time... Same info without the link (How to add exceptions in Norton).

Oh my god thank you, you are a life saver man. God bless you man i wish i can give you smth in return but im broke (really sorry but still thank you)
Lavie Jul 13, 2023 @ 5:37am 
:steamthumbsup:
< >
Showing 1-6 of 6 comments
Per page: 1530 50

Date Posted: Jul 13, 2023 @ 12:37am