Fridge May 27, 2016 @ 9:46am
Selling physical/disc PC games
I'm rather new to PC gaming in general so please bear with me... So back when Fallout 4 came out, I bought it physically for PC. I redeemed its download code and therefore, have it digitally on my account. Now, if I were to sell it (the disc), would the buyer be able to play it ? The logical thing would be that he'd be able to play it but only by always inserting the disc into his PC. Or is my specific disc tied to my account somehow and therefore, unusable by anyone but me ?
< >
Showing 1-6 of 6 comments
Falro the Great May 27, 2016 @ 9:51am 
No, as Fallout 4 is a Steamworks game, it requires being connected to a Steam account via the CD-key.
generally you can never return or sell a used pc game due to the fact you could easily burn the disc(s) and copy the code

also alot of games have drm that make the game usable on only a few computers
Forcen May 27, 2016 @ 10:06am 
The disc is just a disc, identical to everyone elses disc.
Someone else could use it to install fallout 4 without downloading as much but ONLY if they own the game on steam also.

The key is what lets you play the game, you can just use the key via steam and download it all. The disc is just a other way to install the game. (but you have to patch it anyway probably)
Last edited by Forcen; May 27, 2016 @ 10:06am
Fridge May 27, 2016 @ 4:39pm 
So the disc is basically useless unless the person already owns the game on Steam ? If that's it, then does the disc have any purpose ?
SpunkyJones May 27, 2016 @ 4:42pm 
Originally posted by Al Davis:
So the disc is basically useless unless the person already owns the game on Steam ? If that's it, then does the disc have any purpose ?

Nope, it has no use.
Imperial Knight May 27, 2016 @ 4:51pm 
Once a CD-key/license-key is redeemed it is no longer useable. This makes it tied to the account it is redeemed on.

CD/license keys are one-time use. The unique portion of a physical copy is the CD/license key, not the CD itself. The CD contains software to install the game (whether it uses Steam or not) and the CD/license key is what activates the installed game product for use.
< >
Showing 1-6 of 6 comments
Per page: 1530 50

Date Posted: May 27, 2016 @ 9:46am