This topic has been locked
Legion Jun 22, 2016 @ 2:44pm
Steam autologin not working?
Hello everyone, I have a problem.
From like... ever, my Steam worked with autologin (saving username & password) without a flaw, but lately it just stopped working (even checking "Remember the password" at login, or selecting/deselecting again the "Do not save informations on this pc" tick).
How can I fix that?
< >
Showing 1-15 of 17 comments
AlbNoel Jun 22, 2016 @ 2:46pm 
Just restart steam then the pc/laptop.I had the same problem and that fixed it
Legion Jun 22, 2016 @ 2:48pm 
Already did it (I have Steam in autostart with Windows), but no progress
AlbNoel Jun 22, 2016 @ 2:49pm 
I don't know what to tell you.I'm sorry i couldn't help you.
Didgy Jun 22, 2016 @ 2:57pm 
Check that you haven't accidentally ticked "Don't save account credentials on this computer" in your settings.
Legion Jun 22, 2016 @ 3:15pm 
Like I said, I even tried to tick it (restart Steam), untick it and restarted Steam again, and that's not working.
But thank you all for your help.

Also, if I tick "Don't save account credentials on this computer" my username is not (obviously) saved, but now if I start Steam my username is already written, like the "Remember password" box wasn't on.
Didgy Jun 23, 2016 @ 5:42am 
You're not running Ccleaner or something like that, that could be clearing out your session cookies are you?
Legion Jun 23, 2016 @ 10:27am 
Nope, also everytime I used CCleaner in the past I always unchecked the cookies clearing function
richard Jun 28, 2018 @ 11:01am 
This suddenly started happening about the time I changed my various browsers (Firefox, Chrome, Opera, Edge) to not remember browsing history or cookies - I think Steam is using a browser which has picked up these settings (probably Edge or IE) and therefore the cookies get deleted on every boot. I reckon if you allowed cookies on Edge/IE/Windows again, it would work...
The Lag Master Nov 21, 2020 @ 8:37pm 
2020 Visiter here!! WIth the same ♥♥♥♥♥ problem!! I uninstalled Edge and Explorer. I am left with Chrome and Bing. Both browsers allow Cookies. "Save my credentials" ISSSSSS ticked.

It also SOMETIMES signs me in, and SOMETIMES does not.
Tweeter83 Feb 12, 2021 @ 5:12pm 
I know this is a bit old, but seeing the periodicity of people returning to this thread I'll offer this. I had this same issue until about a month ago. Even with the appropriate options selected (Remember pw) and unselected (don't save credentials) I still found myself having to type my password upon each time I opened steam. In my particular case I have multiple people that use the same computer to access separate accounts (even thru separate windows user profiles). As soon as all those other accounts were removed from this PC and the PC was no longer 'authorized' for use, the above settings worked properly. I no longer had to enter my password and the program auto signs itself in as intended. As soon as I added another account to Steam and the PC was authorized for that account, it reverted back to forcing me to sign in each time again. Again, this is what seemed to be my issue. I think this was intended to be a security feature in the event you play on a public machine, so the next guy can't auto-sign into your account. However it is obviously flawed if you have a dedicated Windows user account for each steam account and it still activates that 'feature.'
Legion Feb 14, 2021 @ 4:36pm 
Hey Tweeter83, I appreciate you came here to post your solution.

I simply formatted my pc lol
Protoss OP Aug 18, 2021 @ 4:33am 
I know it's kind of an old thread, but I had this problem for like 2 days now. What I did to fix it was untick the "don't save account credentials on this computer" option in Settings->Account, for some weird reason it was on, it was off from the moment I installed steam on a clean win10(so for like 2 years) and I'm 100% certain that I didn't turn it on manualy. Super weird. Hope it helps.
Legion Aug 31, 2021 @ 2:26pm 
Protoss OP,
thank you for your solution as well. I'm sure people will find useful your reply!
Basheeee Mane <3 Sep 10, 2022 @ 8:52pm 
Originally posted by Protoss OP:
I know it's kind of an old thread, but I had this problem for like 2 days now. What I did to fix it was untick the "don't save account credentials on this computer" option in Settings->Account, for some weird reason it was on, it was off from the moment I installed steam on a clean win10(so for like 2 years) and I'm 100% certain that I didn't turn it on manualy. Super weird. Hope it helps.
worked and solved for me.
tnx
Jaiden (Nick) Sep 14, 2023 @ 7:17pm 
funny story here, i have the same problem. It ask me to log in even tho the "dont save credentials" is ticked off and even if i click "remember my password". It started doing that not long ago and its very annoying to say the least. It keeps asking me to check which account i want to use, even tho there is only one steam account on the freaking computer. The solution i found is to manually go in the steam folder, then config, then click on "loginuser", which shows how much accounts are in. There is one account only, and changing some values from 0 to 1 lets me login without problems, but the values reset after the pc is shut down. The problem dosent happen on my laptop, only on my desktop computer, and i hate it.
< >
Showing 1-15 of 17 comments
Per page: 1530 50

Date Posted: Jun 22, 2016 @ 2:44pm