रो Feb 1, 2019 @ 5:56am
Steam won't connect/works extremely slow on ethernet but the internet speed is fine.
This started 10 days ago. Steam was suddenly working very slow. It cannot even load the Store page. After hours of scouring through forums and subreddits, I still haven't solved the problem.

When I connect Steam via Ethernet (local ISP India), Steam takes 5-7 min to find update, 5 min to get to Guard Code box and 2-3 min to login. Then everything is blank. I can just see my Library. Not even the achievements load. I tried everything from adding -tcp to port forwarding as well as using proxies. But the Internet besides Steam is fine. Other similar clients(battle.net) work fine.

Here's the catch, when I connect my mobile network via tethering , Steam works fine.

I can connect to Steam on website and mobile using the same internet. I am only having problem with the client. The Steam Support cannot do anything besides recommend me their troubleshooting pages, which I thoroughly went trought and tried. I cannot even identify the problem.

Anyone having similar problems? Anyone have any solutions/suggestions?

Specs
Win7 64
i5-2400 @ 3.10 Ghz
8 GB
GTX 760
< >
Showing 1-8 of 8 comments
Sockhal Feb 1, 2019 @ 10:09am 
Yesterday I saw I couldn't join the chat room from the community hub. I wanted to try it since I just finished installing Subnautica Below Zero.

Then I performed a clean install of the steam client.
Since, I cannot login to the client, so I cannot play at all.
Like you, I can connect from the website and my mobile.

I opened a support ticket and I expect no help like you.
It's very frustrating. I hope there will be a patch soon, I have no idea where this issue comes from...
Last edited by Sockhal; Feb 1, 2019 @ 10:10am
Alien SlaYer Feb 6, 2019 @ 10:07pm 
I have the same problem. My connection sometimes is very slow, sometimes won't even connect. This happens for me on both ethernet cable or wireless. My connection to the web is fine and very fast speeds. This problem is pretty recent. I don't even see the option anymore to fill out a support ticket, or at least how to. My connection to Steam is hit and miss at best lately.
I was thinking of deleting my Steam browser cache as some have said, but read on the internet, that it can ruin some things, and delete my game thumbnails. Anyone know if this is right, and should I do it? Thanks
Last edited by Alien SlaYer; Feb 6, 2019 @ 10:09pm
Dr.Shadowds 🐉 Feb 6, 2019 @ 10:31pm 
Deleting Cache, and cookies will affect things like what you have in the cart in store, history from browser, payment options, and forum number of posts views set to 15 per page by default.

If you use custom thumbnail for games, I don't believe it will affect them, but no it won't delete the images, if they get removed, you just have to reapply them to where the image is located again.
Alien SlaYer Feb 6, 2019 @ 11:07pm 
Originally posted by Dr.Shadowds 🐉:
Deleting Cache, and cookies will affect things like what you have in the cart in store, history from browser, payment options, and forum number of posts views set to 15 per page by default.

If you use custom thumbnail for games, I don't believe it will affect them, but no it won't delete the images, if they get removed, you just have to reapply them to where the image is located again.
Ok, hey thanks for the reply, and info. I just wanted to make sure I didn't make anything worse. :)
Again, thank you.
Dr.Shadowds 🐉 Feb 6, 2019 @ 11:07pm 
No problem.
poly2poly Feb 9, 2019 @ 1:34am 
I've been having similar issues on all my windows 7 computers. WHen launching steam it checks for updates and is very slow to show the main screen and store page. WHen exiting steam the cloud synce is very slow so I have to click exit.
This doesn't happen on windows 10 computers. Any updates in last couple of days that did this?
NegitiveDeltaG Feb 17, 2019 @ 2:05pm 
Originally posted by poly2poly:
I've been having similar issues on all my windows 7 computers. WHen launching steam it checks for updates and is very slow to show the main screen and store page. WHen exiting steam the cloud synce is very slow so I have to click exit.
This doesn't happen on windows 10 computers. Any updates in last couple of days that did this?

I have this issue as described above on windows 10 home 1809
poly2poly Feb 19, 2019 @ 10:08pm 
I upgraded my windows 7 computers to win 10 and the issues are gone. :D
< >
Showing 1-8 of 8 comments
Per page: 1530 50

Date Posted: Feb 1, 2019 @ 5:56am