LostKeys May 4, 2019 @ 12:11am
Steam client Bootstrapper high CPU usage when idling. - SOLVED
The title pretty much sums it up. The Bootstrapper does absolutely nothing. No playing a game, no downloading, no nothing else. And yet, it takes some 8-10% of my Ryzen 5 1600x CPU power. And that is rather much. Any advice, please?
Thanks, Martin.
Last edited by LostKeys; Jul 29, 2019 @ 1:24pm
< >
Showing 31-34 of 34 comments
Bad 💀 Motha Oct 30, 2019 @ 11:11am 
Originally posted by SootCoot:
I just had it happen to me too. But it went so high as using 90% of cpu usage. I got a 8core 4Ghz cpu. It suddenly used a lot and made firefox stutter. I use win 7 (which is in pirate mode, since i changed my mobo). Fixing it I went into steam settings. Disabled shared family library, Set it to start in Library instead of the store. Cleaned the cache and cookies. Then checkboxed that I had read all comments in threads I follow. Restart steam and suddenly it is fixed. I'm back down into 1% (occasional spike to 3%, 6% or 9%).
Yup, please try this folks.
76561198971462920 Oct 14, 2020 @ 6:15pm 
Originally posted by CatPerson:
Just curiosity - does being in Offline mode or not allowing/using the Overlay reduce it, maybe because it has less it wants to keep checking for? Because for me bootstrapper fluctuates between 0-0.1% CPU (9900k) when Steam is in tray but "idle" (I'm not gaming or Online/downloading or using Steam to browse Steam forums etc). All the "client webhelpers" sit at 0% the entire time.

I mean granted my cpu is "high end" but cpu use for that process is almost non-existent vs. the 8%-12% you guys are mentioning.

I checked on my i7-920 system and it's also pretty much at zero percent when idle. Also Offline-mode.

Found this thread on google when searching for a solution to this problem. Noticed the same exact issue, constant CPU usage ~0.6-1.3% when Steam is idling in tray
Bad 💀 Motha Oct 14, 2020 @ 8:35pm 
Originally posted by Tommy Twostone:
Originally posted by CatPerson:
Just curiosity - does being in Offline mode or not allowing/using the Overlay reduce it, maybe because it has less it wants to keep checking for? Because for me bootstrapper fluctuates between 0-0.1% CPU (9900k) when Steam is in tray but "idle" (I'm not gaming or Online/downloading or using Steam to browse Steam forums etc). All the "client webhelpers" sit at 0% the entire time.

I mean granted my cpu is "high end" but cpu use for that process is almost non-existent vs. the 8%-12% you guys are mentioning.

I checked on my i7-920 system and it's also pretty much at zero percent when idle. Also Offline-mode.

Found this thread on google when searching for a solution to this problem. Noticed the same exact issue, constant CPU usage ~0.6-1.3% when Steam is idling in tray

And? How is this of any concern?
It's running an actively doing something, you can't have it both ways.
76561198971462920 Jan 11, 2021 @ 8:18am 
Originally posted by Bad 💀 Motha:
Originally posted by Tommy Twostone:

And? How is this of any concern?
It's running an actively doing something, you can't have it both ways.

Not sure what you meant but I believe the concern was about Steam client Bootstrapper having a high cpu usage while in idle.

The issue is solved
< >
Showing 31-34 of 34 comments
Per page: 1530 50

Date Posted: May 4, 2019 @ 12:11am