This topic has been locked
Daedalus007 Nov 28, 2017 @ 2:04pm
Disabling Steam Overlay for Non-Steam Games
Unfortunately the checkbox for doing this only seems to exist within Big-Picture Mode so here we go.

I'm presuming you already know how to add a non-Steam game to show up in your Steam Library.

-Exit the game and Steam completely
-Right-Click Steam and Run as Admin
-Open Steam Big Picture Mode
-Navigate to Manage Shortcut -> Controller Options
-REMOVE the checkbox under 'Enable Steam Overlay for this Game'
-Back out to the main Steam Big Picture Menu and then 'Exit Steam Big Picture' and it should save your settings properly.
< >
Showing 1-10 of 10 comments
bookah Jan 20, 2018 @ 3:03pm 
I love you right now thank you so much, I couldn't find info on this anywhere else.
Reed May 1, 2018 @ 4:28pm 
You are an actual SAINT!
Runescape doesn't stop taking imput from the overlay and is laggy with it enabled, but I was tired of being spammed invites to other games all the time. Thank you so much.
Daedalus007 May 1, 2018 @ 5:19pm 
Dat bump though, thank you very much. Feel free to friend me if you like. :)

Every Steam-enabled game SHOULD already have a checkbox in the standard GUI to enable/disable the overlay on a per-game basis.

Image: https://i.imgur.com/QXKldNX.png

In addition you can still also go into the settings and globally-disable the overlay if you choose to do so.
Last edited by Daedalus007; Jun 1, 2018 @ 9:02am
GREEKVIRUs1 Jun 1, 2018 @ 5:15am 
Thanks dude
Woxin Jun 1, 2018 @ 5:24am 
thanks
AlconburyBlues Jun 12, 2019 @ 4:19am 
This was definitely useful. Thanks! Out of all the threads concerning this filled with useless trolls saying things like "Why would you want to do that?" or "Just turn it off globally and back on." or "Launch the non-steam game and then exit Steam." (that's a funny one.) or my favorite "Launch it without Steam." (OMG duh), this actually answered the question. Awesome. Now the overlay doesn't appear when playing World of Tanks or watching TV with Kodi.
Daedalus007 Jun 12, 2019 @ 4:19pm 
I'm super-surprised that this thread is still useful for others.
Feel free to join up on my FreshGaming Discord Server[discord.gg] and we'll chat about games and anime and w/e else. ^_^
Clementine Dec 23, 2019 @ 3:06am 
Great. I was trying to run Detroit: Become Human from the Epic Game Store via Steam but it crashed all the time because of an overlay conflict. Now I know how to disable it, it will work.
Daedalus007 Dec 24, 2019 @ 11:04pm 
So yeah this is a bit of an old thread; it took a while but Valve finally added a checkbox to the main Steam Settings[i.imgur.com].

Image Link: https://i.imgur.com/pkSuHsC.png
Lukaroast Aug 12, 2020 @ 7:23pm 
you are the ♥♥♥♥♥♥♥ best dude, this helped so much
< >
Showing 1-10 of 10 comments
Per page: 1530 50

Date Posted: Nov 28, 2017 @ 2:04pm