This topic has been locked
Wiawyr Jun 11, 2019 @ 2:06am
Blacklisting Publishers
So the news right now is that Deep Silver, publisher for Shenmue 3 as well as Metro Exodus, has once again accepted an exclusivity bribe in order to break promises and expectations and release only to the Epic Games Store. They certainly didn't mind leaving their products up on Steam for visibility and free advertising until the 11th hour where they announced that they would in fact not be releasing their new titles to Steam. This kind of behavior is abusive and parasitic, serving only to harm the goodwill of any fans and potential customers as well as reducing customer confidence in both Deep Silver as a publisher and Steam as a platform. How many other games will be yanked at the last second by greedy publishers looking to double-dip and get those Fortnite checks?

Companies engaging in these actions should be blacklisted off of Steam. If they are not going to stick to their promises and commitments but are still going to take advantage of Steam for free advertising and visibility, then they need to be removed from the store. Less than an hour ago Deep Silver released a news update for Shenmue 3 on Steam, and their discussions forums are awash in feelings of anger and betrayal, and rightly so.

Valve has so far been keeping to a stance of non-involvement and ignoring Epic as a whole, which is the correct course of action. They still called out Deep Silver for switching stores after having sold pre-release copies of Metro Exodus through Steam, which shows they are willing to speak about individual publishers. Action should be taken against publishers who continuously abuse Valve and Steam in order to mislead and mistreat their customers. Otherwise, how can we as customers have confidence that other publishers will not engage in this same behavior?
< >
Showing 1-15 of 126 comments
ReBoot Jun 11, 2019 @ 2:12am 
You as customers hage power, namely the power of being customers. The power to vote with your wallets, that is. You're free to boycott Deep Silver on Steam AND EGS and you're free to call out to others to do the same. I would suggest boiling down to facts though. You've got lots of rhetoric in your post but not much substance (by volume, that is, not in absolute terms). On the other hand, not few people out there don't understand the concept of facts but like rhetoric so you may just as well keep the style.
YamaKami Jun 11, 2019 @ 2:18am 
Originally posted by ReBoot:
You as customers hage power, namely the power of being customers. The power to vote with your wallets, that is. You're free to boycott Deep Silver on Steam AND EGS and you're free to call out to others to do the same. I would suggest boiling down to facts though. You've got lots of rhetoric in your post but not much substance (by volume, that is, not in absolute terms). On the other hand, not few people out there don't understand the concept of facts but like rhetoric so you may just as well keep the style.
I would suggest walking away from this if you're not going to be part of the solution.

+1 OP
Last edited by YamaKami; Jun 11, 2019 @ 2:19am
Dr. Dro ඞ Jun 11, 2019 @ 2:19am 
Fully agreed. It is time Valve stepped in and did something on its side to prevent Steam from being used as an advertisement and bait/switch platform by large AAA publishing corporations.
Last edited by Dr. Dro ඞ; Jun 11, 2019 @ 2:20am
8ullfrog Jun 11, 2019 @ 2:20am 
how many crowdfunded games has epic poached?
ReBoot Jun 11, 2019 @ 2:26am 
Originally posted by YamaKami:
I would suggest walking away from this if you're not going to be part of the solution.

+1 OP
I am very much part of the solution. Im boycotting the EGS. No Metro for me, no BL3 either. No money from me to Epic, I'm contributing to them making a loss.
Misojner Jun 11, 2019 @ 2:28am 
The solutions would be better off coming from consumer action than from Valve. If Valve bans the devs that use their platform, it will likely be viewed as an attack on Epic, regardless of how many developers/publishers are acting in bad faith.

Either way, developers/publishers hauling games off of one service and onto another is inherently bad faith. I didn't pay for "your game", I paid for your game knowing that it was delivered on Steam with the advantages of Steam. Epic's halfassed store isn't something I'm keen on.
dont add me Jun 11, 2019 @ 2:32am 
Go here: https://store.steampowered.com/publisher/deepsilver

Click the little gear icon on the right side.

Select "ignore this creator".

Titles published by Deep Silver are now blacklisted from showing on your Steam store page and they are also automatically filtered out of your search results.
YamaKami Jun 11, 2019 @ 2:40am 

+1 OP
I am very much part of the solution. Im boycotting the EGS. No Metro for me, no BL3 either. No money from me to Epic, I'm contributing to them making a loss.
Great stuff, your comments seem rather counter to your actions though I have to say.
ReBoot Jun 11, 2019 @ 2:47am 
Great stuff, your comments seem rather counter to your actions though I have to say.
My comment was "boycott 'em" and my actions is "boycott 'em". I hardly see how that counters each other. While I have some games on the EGS, those are all freebies and I'd like to think that im contributing to EGS' downfall by freeloading. Even if I'm not, I at least don't contribute to their success.
Last edited by ReBoot; Jun 11, 2019 @ 3:03am
Wiawyr Jun 11, 2019 @ 2:56am 
Originally posted by Misojner:
The solutions would be better off coming from consumer action than from Valve. If Valve bans the devs that use their platform, it will likely be viewed as an attack on Epic, regardless of how many developers/publishers are acting in bad faith.

Either way, developers/publishers hauling games off of one service and onto another is inherently bad faith. I didn't pay for "your game", I paid for your game knowing that it was delivered on Steam with the advantages of Steam. Epic's halfassed store isn't something I'm keen on.
I would agree so long as the publishers were not being deceptive about their actions. If a company wants to release their game on EGS or Steam or GOG or whatever their choice may be, then hey, that's great for them and customers should vote with their wallets without outside interference. If they advertise and promise to release on one store and then switch it at the last minute, taking advantage of all the features of the first store for free that the second store doesn't have at all, then I feel it crosses the line from a legitimate decision into an abusive one.

Curating the store of abusive publishers is something that is well within Valve's right as a company. I would even say that by neglecting to do so, they are inviting other publishers to continue to take advantage of them in this manner.
Ogami Jun 11, 2019 @ 2:57am 
Originally posted by Toast:
Go here: https://store.steampowered.com/publisher/deepsilver

Click the little gear icon on the right side.

Select "ignore this creator".

Titles published by Deep Silver are now blacklisted from showing on your Steam store page and they are also automatically filtered out of your search results.

Thanks, that is a good idea.
YamaKami Jun 11, 2019 @ 3:08am 
My comment was "boycott 'em" and my actions is "boycott 'em". I hardly see how that counters each other. While I have some games on the EGS, those are all freebies and I'd like to think that im contributing to EGS' downfall by freeloading. Even if I'm not, I at least don't contribute to their success.
some of it yes, then you go to say "would suggest boiling down to facts though. You've got lots of rhetoric in your post but not much substance (by volume, that is, not in absolute terms). On the other hand, not few people out there don't understand the concept of facts but like rhetoric so you may just as well keep the style." which seems to come from someplace other than where your actions do. Thankfully, actions speak louder than words though ;)
ReBoot Jun 11, 2019 @ 3:13am 
some of it yes, then you go to say "would suggest boiling down to facts though. You've got lots of rhetoric in your post but not much substance (by volume, that is, not in absolute terms). On the other hand, not few people out there don't understand the concept of facts but like rhetoric so you may just as well keep the style." which seems to come from someplace other than where your actions do. Thankfully, actions speak louder than words though ;)
Erm, no? That's the exact place the actions come from. Namely that a grassroots movement is the way to go here. My words, including those you've quoted, go into the direction of sparkling a grass roots movement (which, by the way, already exists as theres a backlash to the EGS) while my actions consist of participating in said grassroots movement.
YamaKami Jun 11, 2019 @ 3:15am 
Erm, no? That's the exact place the actions come from. Namely that a grassroots movement is the way to go here. My words, including those you've quoted, go into the direction of sparkling a grass roots movement (which, by the way, already exists as theres a backlash to the EGS) while my actions consist of participating in said grassroots movement.
You need to choose better words to convey as much friend. That was not what was conveyed.
ReBoot Jun 11, 2019 @ 3:18am 
You need to choose better words to convey as much friend. That was not what was conveyed.
You need to choose better words yourself. You don't say what's conveyed (only that its something different) neither how exactly it was conveyed (choice of words, sure, what words are wrong, you domt day). Right now, all stick with the interpretation of you not being familiar with factual language (you wouldn't be alone, as I outlined above) and keep my statement as is. Since you don't bother explaining how exactly the statement is misleading, I'll ignore your posts on that topic from now on as not to derail the thread.
< >
Showing 1-15 of 126 comments
Per page: 1530 50

Date Posted: Jun 11, 2019 @ 2:06am