fruit bat Feb 17, 2020 @ 4:15am
144 hz problem
so I've just reinstalled my windows and now when I try to change my monitor resolution to 144 hz (like I had it before the reinstall) it says:

"The display control panel is unable to change the display settings. You may not have appropriate administrative rights to change these settings."

Basicaly it wont let me change my monitor hz from 60 to 144. I have all my drivers up2date (yes including gpu and monitor) and it always worked to change to 144 hz before, but not it says I dont have the "administrative rights" to do it.. how can I fix this? please help thanks

picture: https://imgur.com/a/S4TuALP

PS: just to be sure it was not a problem from my monitor I brought another monitor 144 hz just to test if it works and it says the same, it wont let me choose 144 hz
Last edited by fruit bat; Feb 17, 2020 @ 4:35am
< >
Showing 1-15 of 27 comments
Dr.Shadowds 🐉 Feb 17, 2020 @ 6:48am 
Why are you doing it from Windows settings? Do it from your GPU control panel.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=WjClBqsIVks
fruit bat Feb 17, 2020 @ 7:00am 
Originally posted by Dr.Shadowds 🐉:
Why are you doing it from Windows settings? Do it from your GPU control panel.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=WjClBqsIVks

on nvidia control pannel it's set to 144 hz but it's not 144 hz even though it says so,
I can feel it's 60 hz
Last edited by fruit bat; Feb 17, 2020 @ 7:01am
Cathulhu Feb 17, 2020 @ 7:04am 
What does the menu of the display say?
Bad 💀 Motha Feb 17, 2020 @ 7:22am 
After doing all Windows Updates and rebooted, run the DDU app and enter safe mode with it. Click the option to disable Windows auto driver feature. Then wipe out Intel, AMD, NVIDIA. Then reboot when done and install your gpu driver software and reboot. Then whatever changes you with to make like this, do it from nvidia control panel; change resolution once res is picked, pick the refresh. Also change to RGB + FULL then click apply.
fruit bat Feb 17, 2020 @ 7:26am 
Originally posted by Cathulhu:
What does the menu of the display say?

both monitors say 60
fruit bat Feb 17, 2020 @ 7:27am 
Originally posted by Bad 💀 Motha:
After doing all Windows Updates and rebooted, run the DDU app and enter safe mode with it. Click the option to disable Windows auto driver feature. Then wipe out Intel, AMD, NVIDIA. Then reboot when done and install your gpu driver software and reboot. Then whatever changes you with to make like this, do it from nvidia control panel; change resolution once res is picked, pick the refresh. Also change to RGB + FULL then click apply.

whats all the point of this? it's a fresh windows install with latest nvidia gpu drivers.

I'm pretty sure it's a windows problem and not a driver problem
Last edited by fruit bat; Feb 17, 2020 @ 7:27am
Bad 💀 Motha Feb 17, 2020 @ 7:28am 
You have to do this so you don't get a gpu driver via MS Windows Updates.
Last edited by Bad 💀 Motha; Feb 17, 2020 @ 7:28am
fruit bat Feb 17, 2020 @ 7:29am 
You have to do this so you don't get a gpu drive via MS Windows Updates.

I didnt have a gpu drive installed from windows, I had my internet turned off and installed all drrivers manually from my USB like I always did before
Bad 💀 Motha Feb 17, 2020 @ 7:31am 
Originally posted by q|O_O|p:
You have to do this so you don't get a gpu drive via MS Windows Updates.

I didnt have a gpu drive installed from windows, I had my internet turned off and installed all drrivers manually from my USB like I always did before
That doesn't matter if that Windows auto driver feature is left enabled windows updates will auto change your gpu driver to what ms has.
𝞟 Feb 17, 2020 @ 7:33am 

That doesn't matter if that Windows auto driver feature is left enabled windows updates will auto change your gpu driver to what ms has.

you have no idea what you're talking about
𝞟 Feb 17, 2020 @ 7:33am 
so I've just reinstalled my windows and now when I try to change my monitor resolution to 144 hz (like I had it before the reinstall) it says:

"The display control panel is unable to change the display settings. You may not have appropriate administrative rights to change these settings."

Basicaly it wont let me change my monitor hz from 60 to 144. I have all my drivers up2date (yes including gpu and monitor) and it always worked to change to 144 hz before, but not it says I dont have the "administrative rights" to do it.. how can I fix this? please help thanks

PS: just to be sure it was not a problem from my monitor I brought another monitor 144 hz just to test if it works and it says the same, it wont let me choose 144 hz

your nvidia drivers are good since it can be changed and set to 144 hz
while the display settings from windows doesnt allow you to change
then that means it's 100% a windows problem
you can fix it from user accounts settings
you need to have all administrator privileges enabled
once u do that u can change what ever u want

Last edited by 𝞟; Feb 17, 2020 @ 7:35am
Bad 💀 Motha Feb 17, 2020 @ 7:34am 
No see that's how Windows 10 has always been. Otherwise you wouldn't have the issue that you are.
Last edited by Bad 💀 Motha; Feb 17, 2020 @ 7:34am
fruit bat Feb 17, 2020 @ 7:37am 

I dont think so because i dont have onboard gpu and even in bios it's disabled and set only to pci-e. no uma no nothing. so its impossible to be froim what youre saying
fruit bat Feb 17, 2020 @ 7:37am 
Originally posted by :

your nvidia drivers are good since it can be changed and set to 144 hz
while the display settings from windows doesnt allow you to change
then that means it's 100% a windows problem
you can fix it from user accounts settings
you need to have all administrator privileges enabled
once u do that u can change what ever u want

thanks but how do I set administrator privileges?
emoticorpse Feb 17, 2020 @ 7:48am 
Try creating another new windows account with admin privileges and changing it from inside that account.
< >
Showing 1-15 of 27 comments
Per page: 1530 50

Date Posted: Feb 17, 2020 @ 4:15am