This game is now available on Steam!

Thanks for your help in getting this game selected for distribution via Steam. More information including a link to the Steam store page can be found below.

Euro Truck Simulator 2
City Builder Nov 24, 2012 @ 7:06pm
Speed signs in EU?
Hey,

I'm curious since I've never been to the EU before but here in the United States many times you'll be going down the highway doing the speed limit of about 70 to 75 (depending what state you are in) and when the speed limit is going to be reduced, you'll see a sign that has the same shape and design of our speed limit signs but it will say something like
Speed limit reduced ahead

And if the signs don't say a specific speed reduction they will often just say:
"Reduced Speed Ahead" as a warning to the drivers that they're going to need to slow down up ahead.

In the simulator I'll be barreling down the highway at 90km/h and all of a sudden up will pop a 40km/h or a 50km/h sign, No warning, just the speed limit is now reduced by 40km/h all of a sudden.

In the EU countries, do you not have the same signs that we do that tells you that the speed limit is going to be reduced ahead of you, or are you always driving in surprise of what the speed limit might change to just out of your line of sight?

Thanks
Last edited by City Builder; Nov 24, 2012 @ 7:42pm
Showing 1-9 of 9 comments
< >
Babylon Nov 24, 2012 @ 7:51pm 
No we dont. Because in entire EU we drive after EU traffic laws.

Which mean by every border you will see a sign that says welcome, and this sign will also inform of all speedlimits (Lights on/off, Speed inside city/outside city, Highway speed).

In EU you are allowed to drive 80 km/h in (Denmark, Norway and Sweden) and 90 km/h in the rest of EU (in a truck).

You never get a speedlimit lower than this, unless work on the highway is done, which will give you warningssign and yellowlights to inform on workers on the highway.

In the normal roads (outside citylimit) you are allowed to drive 80 km/h (Both trucks, busses and cars), and inside citylimit the speedlimit will be 50 km/h.

Btw. If you drive a car in EU (not truck) the speedlimit is 130 km/h unless you are 10km from or closer, to a city with more than 5.000 pop. in this case the speedlimit would be 110 km/h.

But in Germany you can drive at unlimited speed in someplaces. You just need to watch the signs on the border. But its much easlier then it comes to Trucks and such :)
kleineMax Nov 30, 2012 @ 12:23pm 
Simple, no we dont have a warning sign that tells you the the speed on a road will be reduced soon.

As Babylon said, the general speedlimits in Germany for trucks/buses are 90 km/h on the Autobahn(Highway), even if it is sometimes unlimited for cars. On countryroads we have normaly 80 km/h and 50 km/h in citys.
On roads other then Autobahn it is rare to have no limit, but you can find such roads. But again, nothing will tell you in front that the speedlimit will be reduced on a road, even if it is from 80 to 30 km/h. You just have to watch out for the signs.

No police officere will arest you or make you pay a penalty, if you are slowing down but only came down to 30 km/h 100m(or more) behind the sign :D
survivor Nov 30, 2012 @ 5:00pm 
Yes babylon is right. im from the Europe and a couple years ago i came to the US but even in the US theres no reduce speed up ahead unless theres something up ahead like accidents construction or slippery roads. i traveled all over the US and never seen a reduce speed sign unless it was because of the reasons i stated above
City Builder Nov 30, 2012 @ 10:01pm 
Originally posted by survivor:
Yes babylon is right. im from the Europe and a couple years ago i came to the US but even in the US theres no reduce speed up ahead unless theres something up ahead like accidents construction or slippery roads. i traveled all over the US and never seen a reduce speed sign unless it was because of the reasons i stated above

Ummm, you probably shouldnt say that there is NO reduce speed up ahead signs because I travel through about 3 of them every time that I go out driving. Once in the city where the speed limit is 45 (used to be 50) and they put up a sign warning that reduced speeds are ahead because it drops down to 40mph, as well as I pass them on the highway when the speed goes from 70 down to 65 there is a speed reduction ahead sign. Yeah I live here.

I'd take pics to show you but there is nowhere to stop to get pics of any of the signs that i pass by every week.
Last edited by City Builder; Nov 30, 2012 @ 10:02pm
Braylin Dec 1, 2012 @ 5:16am 
Reduce speed limit ahead signs are everywhere in the US.

Here is one in my area.

http://maps.google.com/?ll=27.839399,-82.77341&spn=0.000019,0.009645&t=m&z=17&layer=c&cbll=27.839399,-82.777638&panoid=qLEaCEYb2WhA-xLHOKwF4w&cbp=12,281.6,,0,5.84

There us no reason for this reduced speed ahead on the road other than it was used as a speed trap for police to write tickets for years. Matter of fact this road was listed as one of the top speed traps in the US by AAA for years.
Last edited by Braylin; Dec 1, 2012 @ 5:21am
City Builder Dec 1, 2012 @ 7:58am 
Ah yes good idea, unfortunately I find google maps terribly hard to navigate right in front of the sign (it always wants to put me on the other side of the road for some reason) but I think you can make out the "reduced speed ahead" sign in this image:
http://i.imgur.com/tidBq.jpg
This is the one that I hit on the way home almost every time that I go out.
Last edited by City Builder; Dec 1, 2012 @ 8:04am
survivor Dec 1, 2012 @ 9:47am 
what im saying is i barely see them unless theres road constructions slippery roads or accidents up ahead
Seseorang Dec 2, 2012 @ 7:51am 
Some signs don't belong on the motorways. Single and double lane roads, yes, but motorways? No (The Red ring and white backing with speed limit)

In the UK at least, if the speed is less, then there are electric boards above every lane telling what the speed limit is and even if it's closed, or to switch to next lane. The only thing wrong with this I feel
Senekha Dec 4, 2012 @ 11:45am 
First (other ones said it already): no, we dont have these reduced speed ahead signs. Interesting concept, I didn't know of these signs in the US. (I'm from Germany too.) Maybe because the speed limits are more standardized in the EU, with signs like this: {LINK REMOVED - Please don't spam, and be wary of scams.}http://bit.ly/SEbxCd

Now to the speed limits of Trucks. (> 3.5t weight)
Thats different in each country.
I only know the speed limits in Germany, and thats not 90 on the Autobahn, its 80 (+10% tolerated = 88 km/h). On country roads it's 60 (+10% tolerated = 66), not - OMG - 80!! (reference (german, you may have to use a translator): {LINK REMOVED - Please don't spam, and be wary of scams.}http://bit.ly/11ONlQr)
Other countries have 80-90 km/h on highways too, and on country roads 60-80 km/h. These are with AND without trailer. These trucks are not designed to drive fast without a trailer, they are really unstable. Thats why they are officially / by law limited without a trailer to these speeds too.
Thats also the reason why the trucks drive so slowly in ETS2, they don't drive the +10%, they max at 80km/h and on country roads (mostly) at 60km/h - whats damn slow ;-)
Also Trucks are limited to 82, 83, 85 or 90 km/h at default.
Last edited by Senekha; Dec 4, 2012 @ 11:49am
Showing 1-9 of 9 comments
< >
Per page: 15 30 50