This game has been Greenlit by the Community!

The community has shown their interest in this game. Valve has reached out to this developer to start moving things toward release on Steam.

Enola
magnolia__fan  [developer] Dec 19, 2012 @ 9:14am
Game ideas: "Survivor" mode.
I was thinking it would be fun to have a "Survivor" mode in Enola. Survivor mode would basically mean "permadeath."

There are no monsters, combat or powerups in Enola so "Survivor" mode would not be about making powerups harder to find, stronger monsters or anything like that, so I was thinking "Survivor" mode would feature different traps than the "Normal" mode, so it would pose a challenge to those who may have previously finished the game.

What do you think?
Showing 1-5 of 5 comments
< >
choochoocup4 Jul 21, 2013 @ 10:48pm 
Sounds cool, but in what way would the traps be different?
magnolia__fan  [developer] Jul 22, 2013 @ 9:49am 
The plan is to make level progression in Survivor mode slightly difficult. For example, in normal mode you'd need to do A, B and C, but in Survivor you'd have to do A, B, D, and C or maybe A, C, and D, where D is a puzzle only available in Survivor. This also means parts of some levels would only be accessible in Survivor mode.

We can also change the solutions for the puzzles based on this in a very Silent Hill way, so for example in normal mode the solution was a pretty straightforward "put them in this order" in Survivor, the puzzle hint could be a more obscure thing, with a completely different solution.

These small things can help make the game feel slightly different, instead of making you go through the exact same thing in a harder difficulty. Besides, since we don't have combat we can't do it like other games, where enemies are harder to kill or things like that.
trinitylynne98 Jul 22, 2013 @ 2:34pm 
I'm loving the idea of adding anything that makes the game re-playable :) I REALLY enjoyed this game so much, and am eagerly awaiting new updates, and at some pont possibly a sequel, or even a prequel. This game is so unique, so it's a toss up between Enola and Dark Fall 3 for my favorite game of all time :) It has it's own category, and there is no other game quite like it. Keep up all of the good, hard work, because it really shows :)
Last edited by trinitylynne98; Jul 22, 2013 @ 2:35pm
magnolia__fan  [developer] Jul 22, 2013 @ 9:53pm 
Originally posted by trinitylynne98:
This game is so unique, so it's a toss up between Enola and Dark Fall 3 for my favorite game of all time :)

Woah, really? Thanks! :P
trinitylynne98 Jul 30, 2013 @ 7:11am 
Originally posted by magnolia__fan:
Originally posted by trinitylynne98:
This game is so unique, so it's a toss up between Enola and Dark Fall 3 for my favorite game of all time :)

Woah, really? Thanks! :P

Absolutely!
DF3 is of course a more polished game, but I'm sure their budget was a lot bigger from the beginning. It is honestly not even fair to compare an alpha-funded game to a AAA game, yet I still hold Enola in such high regard. I enjoy games that resonate with me to the point that I can't stop thinking about them, when I am NOT playing them. The kind of games that I dream about, and think about constantly.

Enola is worthy of a movie. In fact it would make an excellent one, if done correctly. DF3 doesn't have enough material on it's own (or maybe I am just not imaginative enough), but maybe the whole trilogy could be, I dunno. I like games that have disturbing content, and VERY few jump scares. There are many horror games out there, and many are great. I play a lot of them, and do enjoy them. However, for me Its all about the atmosphere. the story, the music, building up that tension. You REALLY want to find out what has happened, and how, and why etc.

Another good example of this type of game would be 'The Cat Lady' or it's "predecessor" 'Downfall' (Remigiusz Michalski's first game, containing many of the same characters in TCL). I would have brought up TCL as a contender for my favorite game, except the unique 2D gameplay, and handdrawn characters and scenery puts it in a class all of it's own. These games are about women that have been through some serious sh!t, and it gets messy, as they wade through it all. Enola is just like that, except you are more of a "forced spectator" (like in Downfall), that got caught up in their nightmare, turning it into your reality. You play out the story in a metaphorical way. and have to resolve it, as best you can, to get out "alive."

Ok, so I won't hog up this thread with any more blabbering, because I could go on and on about this. I just want to make sure that both everyone involved in the making of Enola, AND anyone reading up on it that is considering playing it, knows just how amazing and special the game really is :)

~Angelina
Last edited by trinitylynne98; Jul 30, 2013 @ 7:16am
Showing 1-5 of 5 comments
< >
Per page: 15 30 50