Help this game get on Steam!

Take a look around and learn about this game. If this is something you'd like to see available on Steam, you can help by rating it up using the buttons below. Click here to learn more about this process.

Destination Sol
Akien Jun 22 @ 9:55am
Open-source
Hi there,

I couldn't help but notice that your download links are on Sourceforge, and that the source code of your game is public. If your game is indeed open source, that's a big +1 from my side as a FLOSS games advocate :-)

Searching quickly through the SVN repository, I couldn't find a LICENSE or README file that would clarify under which license Destination Sol is. Could you clarify that?

If your game is indeed open-source, I would advise you to advertise it better on the Sourceforge page and on your Greenlight entry, that's an important added value for many users :-)
Showing 1-6 of 6 comments
< >
milosh  [developer] Jun 22 @ 12:00pm 
Hey Akien, thanks for advice!

Ugh, I don't know under which licence it is. :D I'm not very experienced in all that licencing...

Guess I'll have to make some decision some day. :( Do you know, is there any reason to licence the code ASAP?
Akien Jun 22 @ 1:07pm 
Hi Milosh,

I think it's okay if you don't define the license right now. As long as there is no license, one has to assume that you retain full copyright upon your source code. So for now it would be proprietary, and people are authorised to read your code - but not modify it or redistribute it (or the compiled version of the game). You can always decide later on a more permissive license if you want.

If you want some advice on free software licensing, you could ask about it on the FreeGameDev forum (forum.freegamedev.net). There are plenty of experienced free software developers there that can give you valuable advice, and point you to the best suited licenses once you explain what would be your wishes.

I just found this nice website too if you want some simple explanations about the most common open source licenses: http://choosealicense.com/
Testosterone Jun 22 @ 2:15pm 
Норм
milosh  [developer] Jun 22 @ 2:15pm 
Thanks for the detailed answer, Akien! I guess I'll set it to the public domain after I get more familiar with all the nuances!
c704710 [#LinuxOnly] Jul 2 @ 12:29am 
Noooooo!, people can perpetrate abuse with it if it is public domain and their is little recourse to stop them. For example, they could sell it to people with key components missing and/or include malware. Your art could become the next Monkey Jump 2. Plus PD has been known in the past to be problematic if not implicitly, properly, and precisely legally declared. A Creative Commons License is much better for mankind (and you) than PD. It will do everything you intend with a PD license but not allow most abuses the PD will. Better than that even, for source code, is GPL. GPL is simpler, stronger, and more reliable than PD and more appropriate to source code. If some troll out there tries to use your code to abuse people with, you can fire off an email to fsf.org and they'll handle it.

Please seriously consider using CC for content (or PD, if you must), and GPL for code. I'll volunteer to do the GPL grunt work (all 95 seconds of it) for you, and for no charge, if you want.

Also, the US government has several times in history, taken works out of the PD (probably illegal, but done nonetheless). Your work could be recopyrighted (not necessarily by you) and literally end up in a state where no one, not even you, could legally do anything with it. Or, a company, or lawyer, could get it and have complete control over it. Both GPL and CC are court tested and offer much more protection for your art than PD.
Akien Jul 2 @ 10:10am 
I agree that GPL would be a great choice of license, and if you also opt for Creative Commons for the content, then please avoid the "Non Commercial" clause like plague. CC By ("Attribution", i.e. credit the author) or CC By-SA ("Attribution" and "Share alike", so derivates must be under a similar license) would be best advices :-)
Showing 1-6 of 6 comments
< >
Per page: 15 30 50