Help this game get on Steam!

Take a look around and learn about this game. If this is something you'd like to see available on Steam, you can help by rating it up using the buttons below. Click here to learn more about this process.

Copy Kitty - Turbo Edition
Brick Top Dec 14, 2013 @ 12:22pm
WTG: Gameplay and Review
Pt1 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Icj0cxHyG00
Pt2 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YwX-4G2rCQI

Copy Kitty is...not actually that bad. I typed that yeah, and I meant it. It's got a lot of glaring flaws, but the game mechanics are actually pretty fun.

It suffers from quite a large amount of negative however, mostly surrounding the fact that basically at any given time there are at least 5 particle effects on the screen. They make it very hard to differentiate between your projectiles and enemy projectiles, not to mention the game's attempts to try to give me motion sickness. The stages never really seem to change either, with each different level basically using the same color pallet with minor changes to the background. There's also the matter of the character/enemy design being...well..apparently whatever the creator felt like that day.

ALL THAT BEING SAID, the platforming with destructible terrain was relatively easy to navigate, and the controls are decent once you get used to them. Weapon combinations are situational but you never seem to run into one that's entirely useless. It certainly needs refining, but not all is lost.

5.5/10 - Montblanc
tl;dr : It's Kirby but you just shoot things.
Showing 1-3 of 3 comments
< >
Entanma Project  [developer] Dec 15, 2013 @ 11:14am 
If you'd be more specific about what attacks or enemies are hard to distinguish, we'd love to change them. If the game "gives you motion sickness" then you could look at the very first thing that appears when you boot it up, which prompts you to change the effect/particle amount (or change it at an time in Options, from the main screen or the pause menu). That video was made with effects on the highest setting.

Again, we're willing to work through any problems you might have. Just saying "there are a lot of glaring flaws" when the person in the video is having tons of fun (whenever he's not making fun of the meowing) is not very helpful! If you like the gameplay but think it could be refined, we'd be glad to listen to any specific complaints.
Last edited by Entanma Project; Dec 15, 2013 @ 11:15am
Montblanc Dec 15, 2013 @ 12:08pm 
I judged the game at it's default settings because that was how it's presented to me fresh out of the...uh...install. I know you can turn down the particle effects and whatnot, and I'm aware this sounds particuarlly lazy, but you really shouldn't have to. First impressions and whatnot.

Most projectiles are easily identifiable, yes, but you start to lose track when you're firing off massive amounts of projectiles yourself and hogging up the screen. It does seem like you've compensated for this in development as I never felt like the game was unfair.

The environments and models I still do hold a problem with, mostly because the models seem out of place in the environment to me, but this is merely one opinion out of the crowd. If anything, I would honestly say that stages are sound in terms of structure, but could perhaps use some visual tweaking to change the play environment as you progress.

Best of luck to you and your team during the game's development, looking forward to what you guys can come up with.
Entanma Project  [developer] Dec 15, 2013 @ 12:29pm 
I assume most of "firing off massive amounts of projectiles yourself" is due to Bounce weapons, judging by the video. We'll probably adjust that, it does get crazy when you're combining it with Tornado and such - but if you're doing that, you probably don't have to worry about enemies since anything close to you is dead! Anyway, by the time the game gets hard enough that enemies start posing a threat, you've gotten used to what most of the weapons do and look like.

As far as the environments go, you only played 10 minutes of each mode. The game is actually really big! One of the complaints we got for previous versions is that there was TOO much variety, with so many environment types and enemies and weapons right near the beginning, so we spread it out more. For the model/environment clash, it's somewhat on purpose (real things in a virtual reality), and partially out of necessity - it's hard to make natural-looking environments when almost everything can be destroyed. It's abstracted a bit so that you can clearly tell where the land is, and things like metal blocks are very easy to identify. The graphic calculation also needs to be fast enough for the Endless Mode generator to work, as well as re-drawing it on the fly whenever anything gets destroyed.

And a specific response to one thing in the video - "why do I spawn in spikes?!" That's to show you that you can walk PAST spikes, as long as you don't land on top of them. I think you kind of realized that on your own by the end, but maybe the corridor at the end of that stage could be modified a little so you NEED to voluntarily walk past the spikes to continue? It was kinda supposed to do that but there are ways to bypass it (as you did).

And a quick restatement: literally the first thing that happens when you turn on the game, is a mini options menu that lets you adjust the effects amount, with nice descriptions for all the settings. The vast majority of people prefer it on the max setting, so that's why it's the default. But if you don't, the option to change it is literally the first thing in the game, hehe. Lazy indeed! I wonder if it should automatically go to the options menu at the end of the tutorial to demonstrate how much you can change or tweak if you don't like it.

Thanks for the comments!
Showing 1-3 of 3 comments
< >
Per page: 15 30 50