The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

Become a Bard
 This topic has been pinned, so it's probably important
Jakacopter Dec 8, 2013 @ 8:13am
Please Help!!! [Custom Songbook]
im trying to add my own custom music but my songs wont play and i cant find the right path, Skyrim\Data\Sound\FX\Mus\Bard\Custom i cant find the folders after Data. so i tried just making the folders and that didnt work Please Help!!

--------------------------------
Added on 12/09/13

Guide to converting mp3 or wav files to xwm using MultiXWM:

1) Download MultiXWM from the Nexus: http://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/download/11019/?

2) Unzip the contents of the archive file to somewhere convenient, such as your deskop.

TIP: If you do not extract the files and try to run the program from within the zip folder, the program will not work correctly! You will get no output!

3) Open the folder you extracted, and double-click MultiXwm ver.1.3.

4) Click on the Add File(s) button and select the file(s) you want to convert. The files you select must be in wav or mp3 format.

TIP: If you are converting an mp3 file, the file extension MUST be in lower case in order for the program to recognize it. In other words, it must be .mp3, and it cannot be .MP3.

5) Click the Start button with the MultiXwm program, a bit below the Add Files button.

6) Within the folder you extracted to your desktop, open the output folder. Your xwm files should be there.

7) Rename the xwm files to Custom01.xwm, Custom02.xwm, etc.

8) Create a new folder at Skyrim\Data\Sound\FX\Mus\Bard\Custom. You may not have these subfolders, starting with the Sound folder. Create any additional folders you need to get to Skyrim\Data\Sound\FX\Mus\Bard\Custom.

TIP: The root Skyrim folder referred to above is your Skyrim game folder. For example, I have Steam installed on my D:\ drive. So, my Skyrim game folder is at D:\Steam\steamapps\common\Skyrim. Your Skyrim folder may be at C:\Program Files\Steam\steamapps\common\Skyrim or somehwere similar.

9) Drop the Custom01.xwm, Custom02.xwm, etc., files into the Custom folder you just created at Skyrim\Data\Sound\FX\Mus\Bard\Custom.

You are ready to rock out in Skyrim!

CAUTION: Using very long songs can cause Skyrim to crash. I have never had any issues with songs shorter than 5 mintues.

-LP
Last edited by Pevey; Dec 12, 2013 @ 7:37pm
< >
Showing 1-15 of 163 comments
Pevey  [developer] Dec 8, 2013 @ 10:22am 
For most users, you will need to create a folder at that path. It won't already be there. Double check that the folder you created is at the exact path described. That is the only place the game will look. Also be sure that you have converted your music to xwm format and named the songs correctly (Custom01.xwm, etc). There are reports that particularly long songs can cause Skyrim to crash. I wouldn't choose songs longer than 4-5 minutes.
Jakacopter Dec 8, 2013 @ 10:59am 
Ok thanks, it was the song length. all the songs that i was trying were 5 or 6 mins long.
Swiftpelt Dec 8, 2013 @ 12:58pm 
I did everything, but when I open my game, it shows the game developer logo (because I know that im gonna misspell it), then sends me back to my desktop. Have you ever encountered this problem, and if you did, can you help me with it?
Last edited by Swiftpelt; Dec 8, 2013 @ 12:59pm
Pevey  [developer] Dec 8, 2013 @ 1:07pm 
Swiftpelt, you have a mod installed that has an unmet dependency. For example, you may have a mod that requires one of the DLC, but you don't have that DLC installed. It is not this mod. This mod does not require any DLC.
Jakacopter Dec 8, 2013 @ 1:11pm 
you may have conflicting mod. the mods that you have may not be compatible with each other
Jakacopter Dec 8, 2013 @ 1:55pm 
there is no video i looked, my problem was that the songs were too long but it workes with songs under 5 mins
Petta Dragonne Dec 8, 2013 @ 1:58pm 
My husband is a computer programmer so he's been helping me try to set this up. But we're both confused. Where are we supposed to put that folder? He said, "Do you want it to just go at the root of C?" Please help. This is a really fun mod. I would love to be able to watch my orc play Metallica.
Pevey  [developer] Dec 8, 2013 @ 2:03pm 
It should go in your Skyrim Data folder. This will depend on where you installed Steam. If you installed it in the default place, I think it will be C:\Program Files\Steam\steamapps\common\Skyrim\Data\Sound\FX\Mus\Bard\Custom.

For example, I installed Steam to my D drive. So for me, the full path is D:\Steam\steamapps\common\Skyrim\Data\Sound\FX\Mus\Bard\Custom.

All Skyrim mods go to your Skyrim Data folder, or some subdirectory thereof.

Hope this helps.
Swiftpelt Dec 8, 2013 @ 3:57pm 
okay, it was one of my mods, after getting rid of it, my skyrim started working, so thanks LP
smr54 Dec 9, 2013 @ 6:26am 
I purchased the Bard Song, downloaded it via Amazon Cloud, but I am having a hard time changing the format from MP3 to xwm, I have both Format Factory (used once before) and MultiXwm. I keep getting an error message in multixwm. I have Amazon Cloud (that I had to download to get the song) I have Windows Media Player and ITunes on my computer as well.
I have tried to format this with all of these programs as defaultl with no luck.
I have the data file set up properly,when I go to play the song. I go into the custom 01.xwm file but there is no...... sound, my character performs, and other NPC's go through their animations but no..... sound. Is that because the format has not changed to xwm? I am obviously new to this, hope you can help!
Pevey  [developer] Dec 9, 2013 @ 6:34am 
There are some other programs you can try for the conversion from mp3 to wav to xwm. Not at my computer right now, but a google search of "convert to xwm" should turn up some options.

Also, be sure you name the files correctly. There should be no space in Custom01.xwm.
smr54 Dec 9, 2013 @ 10:24am 
Well I have all the correct names on the music files (no spaces between Custom and #) but on the Format Factory program there is NO .xwm format available only .wma (windows media audio file) I've used that program before with good results . Do I need to process the mp3 files in 2 steps, from mp3 to wav to xwm ( in MultiXwm?) The MultiXwm program doesn't help me at all. Or is the wma correct? I still get no sound on the custom.wma files just the animations. To summarize the files are set up correctly, possibly the format is still incorrect! Format Factory is eazy for us computer (almost) illiterate types.
Pevey  [developer] Dec 9, 2013 @ 10:45am 
You definitely cannot use wma files. They will cause Skyrim to crash, even if you rename them. They have to be converted to xwm format. I would search google or YouTube for step by step instructions to convert to xwm. I use MultiXWM, but there are possibly easier methods. Xwm is not a common file format, but it is a format used by some games, including Skyrim.
Pevey  [developer] Dec 9, 2013 @ 8:25pm 
Guide to converting mp3 or wav files to xwm using MultiXWM:

1) Download MultiXWM from the Nexus: http://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/download/11019/?

2) Unzip the contents of the archive file to somewhere convenient, such as your deskop.

TIP: If you do not extract the files and try to run the program from within the zip folder, the program will not work correctly! You will get no output!

3) Open the folder you extracted, and double-click MultiXmw ver.1.3.

4) Click on the Add File(s) button and select the file(s) you want to convert. The files you select must be in wav or mp3 format.

TIP: If you are converting an mp3 file, the file extension MUST be in lower case in order for the program to recognize it. In other words, it must be .mp3, and it cannot be .MP3.

5) Within the folder you extracted to your desktop, open the output folder. Your xwm files should be there.

6) Rename the xwm files to Custom01.xwm, Custom02.xwm, etc.

7) Create a new folder at Skyrim\Data\Sound\FX\Mus\Bard\Custom.

TIP: The root Skyrim folder referred to above is your Skyrim game folder. For example, I have Steam installed on my D:\ drive. So, my Skyrim game folder is at D:\Steam\steamapps\common\Skyrim. Your Skyrim folder may be at C:\Program Files\Steam\steamapps\common\Skyrim or somehwere similar.

8) Drop the Custom01.xwm, Custom02.xwm, etc., files into the Custom folder you just created at Skyrim\Data\Sound\FX\Mus\Bard\Custom.

You are ready to rock out in Skyrim!

CAUTION: Using very long songs can cause Skyrim to crash. I have never had any issues with songs shorter than 5 mintues.
Xióngmāo 熊猫 Dec 10, 2013 @ 7:02am 
I get this: C: > Steam > steamapps > common > Skyrim > Data > Sound > Voice > Processing > FonixData.cdf (this one doesn't open). My game is in C: as my laptop only has C: in it.
< >
Showing 1-15 of 163 comments
Per page: 1530 50