This game has been Greenlit by the Community!

The community has shown their interest in this game. Valve has reached out to this developer to start moving things toward release on Steam.

Frogatto & Friends
marcavis  [developer] Oct 10, 2013 @ 6:17pm
What to work on later?
So, even after the game's out on Steam, we plan on bringing free updates to it for a while (at least one more year, definitely)
While it's the team that'll make the decision, ultimately, it would be good to hear what you have to say - what should we be working on after release?
1) A longer campaign for Frogatto, with new places to explore, missions to complete, etc. or
2) A new playable character, or
3) Multiplayer modes
Last edited by marcavis; Oct 10, 2013 @ 6:58pm
Showing 1-15 of 26 comments
< >
Thunderforge Oct 11, 2013 @ 10:50am 
A new playable character would be nice, since the title is "Frogatto & Friends", but right now he doesn't have any friends. If you can play the levels with either Frogatto or a new character, like in Sonic & Knuckles, then you're essentially doubling the play time.

My number two would be a longer campaign. I'm not as much of a fan of multiplayer modes in platformers since they rarely work out well (recently tried New Super Mario Bros. Wii and there was too much bouncing on top of each other and getting stuck when other players die).
marcavis  [developer] Oct 11, 2013 @ 11:12am 
GnomeSlice Oct 12, 2013 @ 3:44pm 
Hah! that's awesome!

In response to that though, maybe different playable characters with different abilities? Some might have something like limited flight, or faster movement. Maybe you have to rescue them before you can use them?

I haven't finished the game yet, so I don't know how long it is, but longer is almost always better. Quality over quantity though, if you guys don't think you can fit much more into it without having to cut corners, I say forget the whole thing.

Multiplayer co-op would be interesting, but I personally think the game is fine without it.

Also, have you thought about porting it to the Nintendo 3DS or other handheld? The touch capabilities could be great.

I am in love with this game, currently.
Last edited by GnomeSlice; Oct 12, 2013 @ 3:48pm
marcavis  [developer] Oct 12, 2013 @ 6:48pm 
Oh yeah, any new characters are going to play very differently. The art cost for doing just a reskin is too high.
Man... 3DS would be tough. So little memory ;_;
fermionic Nov 4, 2013 @ 7:58am 
Will it keep being open-source?
marcavis  [developer] Nov 4, 2013 @ 1:20pm 
Oh yes, definitely - no need to change what's working well.
Actually, I myself was able to join the team because of it being open-source - I saw a bug, read the code, sent a small bugfix, and then another, and the rest is history :)
Ninja Stu Nov 4, 2013 @ 10:16pm 
I'll throw my vote towards #1. More levels/content is always great. Although an extra character gets my secondary vote.

Honestly, I'm not really a huge fan of multiplayer being added when the game is made as a single player game. I'd probably never touch the multiplayer. But it's always nice when additional levels/content gets added into singleplayer adventures after you've finished it, gives a great excuse to boot it up again.

Good luck with the greenlight campaign. This game deserves to be on Steam.
adolson Nov 5, 2013 @ 6:33am 
I have not yet tried it, but I did vote. If it doesn't have full gamepad support yet (specifically under Linux), with remappable controls, I would appreciate that. If it already does, then carry on with more content or whatever!
IronMarks Nov 5, 2013 @ 6:58am 
I will suggest integrate Steam functionality like Steam Gamepad, Big Picture mode, Steam Trading card etc
marcavis  [developer] Nov 5, 2013 @ 7:20am 
@Ninja Stu Thanks!
@adolson Oh yeah, we're working on that, it's a must.
@edvvardchan - oh yeah. Steam has so much to offer... in particular we're thinking Workshop support will be awesome and will work towards that too.
Little Kitten Nov 5, 2013 @ 12:50pm 
achievements would be awesome too :D and trading cards etc :) anything that make it more replayable is nice. :) and achievement can make a game more fun. maybe you have to replay it again and find new things or if you miss things
Bongo Nov 6, 2013 @ 7:55pm 
Game pad support and a longer story would be my vote
Jon Nov 8, 2013 @ 5:28am 
I would like to make a suggestion for a small future feature to consider, though it isn't one of the three in your original post.

I would really appreciate having the option to use a button for running, rather than the double-tap forward.

I impulse bought this on IndieGameStand purely for loving the music featured in the trailer, paying extra to get the OST. Playing the game, I think it is great! Really impressed so far and find it to be polished with tight, 'clean' gameplay and controls. And the soundtrack is excellent, whoever created it is very talented. Playing the OST files, it reminds me a lot of the Cave Story soundtrack.

However, the only thing I can't quite get right is the double tap run. No matter what I try I can't get to a point where it feels smooth or intuitive to do, so breaks my engagement with the game.

I'm not much of a retro platformer gamer. I never had a NES or SNES and don't have a huge amount of experience with classic platforming gameplay (A Master System 2 and a few 8-bit Sonic games was about it). The double tap may be a deliberate call back to control schemes of the past, I'm not sure. Unfortunately I can't quite get to grips with it. I'm too modern and 'casual' perhaps! I'd welcome the ability to enable running in a different way. For example, being able to bind Shift to run on keyboard, or Left Trigger on a gamepad.

Hope this seems reasonable. Thanks for continuing to work on the game and for reaching out to the community for feedback. Goodluck on Greenlight, you already have my vote.
Last edited by Jon; Nov 8, 2013 @ 6:57am
marcavis  [developer] Nov 8, 2013 @ 7:38am 
@Jon thanks! I'll pass along your comments to Ryan, he deserves the love :)
Actually we're not really hung up on retro design when taking decisions like that - we just went with what thought is best - and personally, I feel double-tapping to be more natural on a keyboard, but would possibly prefer a separate trigger key for running when playing with a controller. So yeah, we can do that, leave it as a choice for the player.
Also, from what I can tell, most console platformers used a toggle key for running. On mobile, though (we have an iOS version too), double-tap is a must.
Devin1809 Nov 17, 2013 @ 3:45am 
I've been thinking, since this game has a level editor, it might be interesting if you could create levels for a racing/time attack mode? The completion times of each level could be saved on some kind of leaderboard, giving the game a lot of replay value.
Showing 1-15 of 26 comments
< >
Per page: 15 30 50