Help this game get on Steam!

Take a look around and learn about this game. If this is something you'd like to see available on Steam, you can help by rating it up using the buttons below. Click here to learn more about this process.

Blood Alloy
Avian "Sugar Tits" Reso Sep 22, 2013 @ 5:07am
My Thoughts
This looks pretty much like a Metroid clone with more barrel roll. You have your Shinespark. You have your guns. You have your various enemies. You have your abilities that you get from bosses. I don't see anything all that particularly interesting about it. I realize that the video above was pre-alpha footage, nothing but a concept that happens to have some meat on it. But all I saw was a really bad Metroid clone.

I totally get what you're trying to do with this game. Trying to bring Dark Souls' stamina system into a 2D environment. The problem with this is that there just isn't enough that happens in a 2D environment that makes having a stamina system gripping or engaging. In a game like Dark Souls or Monster Hunter 3, you've got to keep track of your surroundings because there's one side of the world that you can't even keep a permanent eye on. You've got to watch for patterns in an enemy's movement and actions. And if you ♥♥♥♥ up once, you've got hell to deal with. But in a 2D environment, where your character is in a decently lit environment, and your character just happens to be pretty smack-dab in the center of the screen, you don't have to worry about what's behind you, And you can still keep track of things attacking you. It's not as gripping. It's not engaging. And when it's easy as hell to just cartwheel out of the way of most of the enemies in this game, like in the video, it's not fun either.

I also don't like your decision to make this a fast-paced game that uses the stamina system. It's seems slightly counter-intuitive. You're trying to make a run-and-gun platformer. People are going to running, gunning, and jumping all over the place. I can't imagine how frustrating it's going to be to have that stamina system in the way, so playing offensively is out of the question. Playing evasively? You have only have two planes of existence to deal with. Might be possible with a third plane to use, but I'm not seeing it with two. So we'll be left playing defensively, the way that's pretty much defined by the stamina system. Just saying, seem pretty counter-intuitive for what seems to be a run-and-gun platformer.
Showing 1-2 of 2 comments
< >
frank.washburn  [developer] Sep 22, 2013 @ 7:31pm 
Thanks for your comments Meowster. I'm pretty sure we'd be great friends just because you seem to like Monster Hunter, and that's the one gaming franchise that has absolutely consumed my soul. Glad to see more Hunters out there :)

I'll have to respectfully disagree with you on your comments on Dark Souls and Monster Hunter though - what makes those games great is the weighty combat system - the limitations of the 3rd person camera are pretty ancillary. Not being able to see behind you isn't what makes the combat in those games great. Sure, it makes fighting multiple monsters at once in MH scarier, and it makes getting snuck up on in DS possible and terrifying, but that's not core to the gameplay - at least not the way I see it.

On the cartwheeling - we're implementing a shorter invincibility frame window for the cartwheeling so that it's more skill based. We widened the window for the purpose of taking this video footage primarily for my own sanity, because that's all my gameplay up there :)

Honest question: Do you think Hotline Miami isn't gripping or engaging in the moments in which you can see all the enemies on screen?

Counterpoint to your point about fast-paced + stamina - Vanquish uses an energy meter for all of its abilities, the only difference is that you have ammunition as well for your gun. Playing offensively is entirely possible - the weapons we already have hit pretty darn hard - they just consume quite a bit of stamina at the same time, so you're going to still have to be skillful in their use and make sure you land your shots. Evasively - that's where using your dodge-flip, your rocket-slide, and your jetpacking come in - to stay out of the sights of your enemies. And defensively we both agree is entirely possible. :)
GG'ВАТРА Sep 30, 2013 @ 4:10am 
Bad
Showing 1-2 of 2 comments
< >
Per page: 15 30 50