This game is now available on Steam!

Thanks for your help in getting this game selected for distribution via Steam. More information including a link to the Steam store page can be found below.

Postmortem: one must die
Blazenburn Jul 14, 2013 @ 6:42pm
Requiring More
It seems to me a great and original concept but i cant really tell whats happening. Does anyone agree?
Showing 1-15 of 17 comments
< >
[PFB]DagenDaDragon Jul 14, 2013 @ 7:23pm 
I agree with you a bit!
Like I kind of get a "heavy rain" mixed with "point and click" mixed with "Clue" feeling from it.
But I dont really get what the goal is, what are you trying to do? So it would be awesome if that could be expanded on. :)
Koobazaur  [developer] Jul 15, 2013 @ 11:19am 
Hey guys, thanks for the feedback and continuing support! Proper News and Art Update coming in the next day or two, so will try to clarify some of your confusion I am seeing in the comments as well :)

It's a bit tricky because I want to keep some things vague as not to spoil them, given the nature of the game! But basically, you are an agent of Death tasked to take one life at a charity Gala in a rich and complex setting of industrial-revolution, conflict-torn Nation. Whom do you take? On what basis? It's *entirely* up to you - a good mix of exploration, conversation, some puzzles, discovering clues etc. Learn as much as you want before you make "the decision." And then once you make it...

Well.

I'm not at liberty to say... ;)
boeserschwarzermann Jul 15, 2013 @ 11:22am 
Looks quiet interesting so far
VisibleDucts Jul 17, 2013 @ 7:12am 
I was already planning on playing this, but that explanation has me hooked and excited for the game. I appreciate that you're keeping things as vague as you can, as well.
The one "concern" I would have is replay value, but as it's free to play, I can't really call it a concern, and if if one play through is wonderful, then I've gotten something from a game anyway. So it's like a concern because I've been playing FTL and other games meant to be replayed a lot, lately. But some of my favorite games aren't really what you would call designed for replay. Amnesia, the designers talk about the fact that they felt they weren't making a game with replay value, actually. And I can totally see that. But I don't care. It's amazing and I would replay it over and over even though it isn't a "traditional" re-playable game...or however you want to word it....

Uh, to sum up. I'm on board and my one concern doesn't concern me!
Koobazaur  [developer] Jul 17, 2013 @ 11:31am 
Thanks for the feedback and we're excited you're hooked! If it sets your mind at ease, we definitely encourage replays. After all, one of the questions to figure out is just how much impact your meddling might have ;)
Last edited by Koobazaur; Jul 17, 2013 @ 11:32am
VisibleDucts Jul 20, 2013 @ 11:20am 
Yeah, that is a good point. And "concern" was in quotes because it's a werid type of "concern" where I wasn't concerned about the "concren." .... I blame Heidegger for that sentence. And maybe Derrida.
Skittles Jul 28, 2013 @ 4:43pm 
:)
Seaeco Jul 29, 2013 @ 12:17am 
too me its sort of like a 3D version of cluedo which is pretty neat idea
Mickmane Jul 30, 2013 @ 3:42am 
Yes, I would like to know what you actually do in the game. So far I can't see any mention of that.
Koobazaur  [developer] Aug 2, 2013 @ 6:33pm 
Mickmane - we updated with new trailer and description, let us know if it's still unclear!
Mickmane Aug 16, 2013 @ 3:38pm 
Koobazaur, sorry for the late reply, I was distracted.

I guess it's more emphasized now what you do, but I still don't see the point. Chatting to people (but not being sent from A to B and into Dungeon C to solve a Quest). And then you pick someone who then dies? Why?
Maybe the path is the goal (German saying "Der Weg ist das Ziel")? Could be that running around exploring is interesting in itself.

Concerning you not wanting to spoil it, maybe I'm just incompatible with that. :) I like being spoiled. I read manuals, guides, walkthroughs, FAQs, web pages with lists of data,... In a book I like re-reading best because then I know what's going to happen. I enjoy movie or book more when I know the ending. Very exciting to see HOW it gets somewhere, than plodding through to find out where it is going.

Maybe once I've seen an end, I can do just that in this game. In any case, I'm going to have a look. :)

Btw, the video doesn't play (I looked at some other Steam store video to check if none run, but that worked fine).

Koobazaur  [developer] Aug 21, 2013 @ 4:33pm 
Hey Mickmane,

Sorry for getting back so late, we've been hecticly busy around release and even more so after (really, you'd think we'd get a break but alas!) In any case to address your questions:

And then you pick someone who then dies? Why?

Because... you have to. That's it. You don't know the reason - which is deliberate. We wanted to question how you attempt to solve this kind of a "moral qualm" if you can call it that. Do you make the choice randomly, or try to make an "educated" choice? Which one is fairer? That's for you (and others) to decide.

And if you do like to re-read books and kind of deconstruct the cause-and-effect, then (we hope) Postmortem would prove a great game for you, as it definitely shines on multiple playthroughs thanks to our highly dynamic ending.

In any case, we are now out so you should Play The Game[postmortemgame.com] and find out! Let us know what you think - I'm actually curious of your impressions, and this is exactly the kind of discussion I hoped to spark :)
Last edited by Koobazaur; Aug 21, 2013 @ 4:34pm
Mickmane Aug 22, 2013 @ 3:45am 
First thought; oh, not on Steam, but a webpage. But after I actually went there, well, nice downloadable file so I can play offline, I like that.

Second thought; please let me customize keys. I always change wasd to esdf. (I don't play ego shooters, but I can type with 10 fingers without looking at the keyboard. First game I played that had wasd{*} was Alien Swarm 2 years ago, and I changed it right away to where left hand should be; first finger on 'f'.)

After chatting with the lady before the main room (I wonder if I missed some option of it, after a while she just chucked me out. Lol.]), I don't like either of the parties, huh.

Lots to read... (I like stories, I don't like the act of reading. ;P But reading is far better than videos for getting information, still.)

Is there a save game function? Does it remember where I was when I exit?

A minimap indicating where the people are (or things not yet inspected) would be nice.

LOL, fun, gonna play again later.

{*} Apart from Descent, 20 yeas ago; I got lost and my flatmate shot me in the back. Didn't grab me. ;P

About your recent reply.

No worries, I wasn't exaclty speedy either. Glad you did reply.

Moral qualm, hm. 20 years ago I felt bad about shooting the poor deer in Ultima 7, The Black Gate. These days not so much. (I'm 41, btw.)

The re-reading is more about BEING there, than deconstrucing things. That's why I dig out U7 again now and then even to this day.

Anyway, off to play more! Nice little game.
Forg '' dE Sep 11, 2013 @ 8:14pm 
=)))))
æ.Daradus Oct 1, 2013 @ 12:09pm 
Post Mortem + Theme Hospital = game win. Make it happen guys.
Showing 1-15 of 17 comments
< >
Per page: 15 30 50