This game has been Greenlit by the Community!

The community has shown their interest in this game. Valve has reached out to this developer to start moving things toward release on Steam.

The Curse of Blackwater
DuggersMcNuggers Jun 30, 2013 @ 5:41pm
What makes a good survival horror, good?
Music and audio seems to be a big thing when it comes down to good survival horrors, but what I really enjoy about the recent wave of survival horror games, is the fact of not actually being able to attack, your only way to survive is basically to hide and wait and crap your pants in the process.

What are your thoughts on key elements of a good survival horror game?
Showing 1-7 of 7 comments
< >
MrClonkig Jul 1, 2013 @ 9:58pm 
Interactive stuff like doors in amnesia and so on... In panic you want to open a door and you must pull it with your mouse open while a monster is chaising you freaks the hell outta me. The feeling that something should happen right now but it won't. You know there will be sometime happening something but not when. I call that psycho horror :D
HARLEY QUINN K.KIIAIRA Jul 21, 2013 @ 8:23pm 
The darkness an silence until something ugly and scary comes flying in your face out of nowhere and your like wtf!!!!! no!!!!!!!!! an you start pressing all the buttons!!!! lol. Like in silent hill.
[CNC]Surgar Glider™ Aug 1, 2013 @ 7:38pm 
I think these new survival horror games are overrated, i prefer classics like alone in the dark (the first one), resident evil (up to 4), and silent hill (the 3 official ones).
Vlad Aug 3, 2013 @ 2:14pm 
^ No SystemShock? Awww
rievhardt Sep 14, 2013 @ 10:08am 
a good storyline. a survival horror game would look like an adventure game without a good storyline. the deeper the better.
Ninja Stu Nov 3, 2013 @ 11:52am 
What makes survival horror "good" can be tough to pin down. The point of the genre is to evoke fear and tension, which as emotional responses won't occur for everyone in the same places of a game.

There are a bunch of ways to try and do this. The new wave of horror games have focused on making the user helpless to fight back. It's harder to give the user a gun and have the game continue to be scary, since the game can quickly turn from horror into a straight action game if the enemies are too easy.

Variety in the genre is a good thing. I appreciate games like Amenesia and what they've done for the genre. RE4 is still my favorite example of a game giving you good combat mechanics, but still retaining the feeling of suspense - even if it's not the scariest title ever made. Although some of the newer RE games aren't balancing the action with the horror nearly as well.
HadBabits Mar 4 @ 2:09pm 
I think a telling moment on whether not a horror is good comes when the player is terrified to turn around, especially when nothing was behind them all along.

It's like when you're young (or staying up too late) and you have to make it back to your room from the kitchen in the dark. The closer you get to your room, the more you can't shake the feeling you're being followed. So you're pace picks up to a full sprint before dashing through your door and feeling like an idiot.

Dread is probably the most notable signature, and personally the most addicting, the genre leaves on its players.
Showing 1-7 of 7 comments
< >
Per page: 15 30 50