This game has been Greenlit by the Community!

The community has shown their interest in this game. Valve has reached out to this developer to start moving things toward release on Steam.

Armikrog.
Blazier Jun 9, 2013 @ 11:05am
The Neverhood image and animation extractor v1.3
Lots of Neverhood fans here, so this seemed like a good place to put this. I've recently created a simple program for Windows that extracts all of the images and animations from The Neverhood's data files (BLB files). It also works on the Neverhood demo if you don't have the game.

It extracts stuff that looks like this:
http://i.imgur.com/nIb6I8Y.gif
And this:
http://i.imgur.com/mHXRdOc.gif

Neverhood extractor v1.3 download:
http://www.mediafire.com/?s7xbah01j51w8cy

Once downloaded, extract the zip and open up the readme. The rest of the instructions are there. Read them carefully. You have to run the program on the Windows command line, but that shouldn't be too hard (I hope!). Everything you need, besides the BLB files to extract from, is packaged up in the zip.

Enjoy!
Last edited by Blazier; Jun 10, 2013 @ 10:40am
Showing 1-15 of 33 comments
< >
IlReCurio Jun 9, 2013 @ 11:22am 
Great work! The readme is wonderful :D ahah later i'll use it :)
Wormicus Jun 9, 2013 @ 11:30am 
Those are some really amusing animation test videos
Blazier Jun 9, 2013 @ 9:36pm 
Originally posted by Wormicus:
Those are some really amusing animation test videos
You mean the two in my post? Those aren't test videos. They're animations ready to put straight into the game. The walking one was never used in the game, but the shrinking one was.
Blazier Jun 10, 2013 @ 1:56am 
My extractor has 34 downloads... but still no one telling me if it actually worked for them!... I've admittedly only tested it on one machine, because that's the only Windows PC that I have access to.

So please tell me if it worked (or didn't work) for you.
LoOK Jun 10, 2013 @ 4:41am 
Hello! I tried to run this program on my windows 7 x64, but at first time it asked me for libgomp-1.dll so I downloaded and installed this dll. Now when I starting extract.exe it closing emmediately. When I'm launch cmd.bat it don't allow me to type any command. Anyway, thank you for your work! Sorry for my bad English, I'm from Belarus.
Blazier Jun 10, 2013 @ 5:59am 
Thanks LoOk! I've added libgomp to the zip and removed cmd.bat, adding a bit extra to the readme so that you don't need it. Same download link.

Also your English is quite good. Nowhere near as bad as I've seen.
LoOK Jun 10, 2013 @ 6:50am 
Thank you very much Blazier!
Now I'm triyng to start this new version. Problem is in a second command line:
H:\Users\LoOK> cd F:\Games\Neverhood\extract
H:\Users\LoOK>
I think it's because I don't have the original Neverhood CD and all BLB-files are placed into the folder with installed game. So what must I do now, could you help me, please?
Blazier Jun 10, 2013 @ 6:54am 
Just having the BLB files is fine. They're all you need.

You'll need to type

F:

Before or after you do the cd. Just the quirky thing about cmd. I'll add that to the readme!
LoOK Jun 10, 2013 @ 7:15am 
Hmmm. I did all just like you said and after I put BLBs in cmd window and hit Enter it makes that standart pop-up window that asks for the way to open file (like search program in Internet or choose one from installed programs). Nothing extracted, no another another actions, just that pop-up window appear.
Blazier Jun 10, 2013 @ 7:29am 
Are you sure you typed in "extract i " before dragging in the files? You were probably trying to run a BLB file, which obviously won't work. You need to run the extract program.
LoOK Jun 10, 2013 @ 7:48am 
Yep, I tried to type "extract i" and "extract g".
Here the log:

Microsoft Windows [Version 6.1.7601]
(c) Корпорация Майкрософт (Microsoft Corp.), 2009. Все права защищены.
H:\Users\LoOK>F:
F:\>cd F:\Games\Neverhood\extract
F:\Games\Neverhood\extract> extract g
Usage: extract i|I|a|A|g|G file.blb ...
F:\Games\Neverhood\extract>F:\Games\Neverhood\A.BLB
-- here comes that pop-up window --
F:\Games\Neverhood\extract>
Blazier Jun 10, 2013 @ 8:02am 
Read over the readme again. Your command needs to look like:

extract i F:\Games\Neverhood\A.BLB F:\Games\Neverhood\C.BLB F:\Games\Neverhood\HD.BLB F:\Games\Neverhood\I.BLB F:\Games\Neverhood\M.BLB F:\Games\Neverhood\S.BLB F:\Games\Neverhood\T.BLB

Actually, that's the exact command you need to enter ;). When that's finished, run the same command but instead of extract i and a bunch of files, make it extract g and then the bunch of files.
LoOK Jun 10, 2013 @ 8:21am 
Ah, my bad! Now it works well. Thank you very much! Few years ago I spent lots of time to rip sprites from Earthworm Jim, Neverhood and Skullmonkeys by grabbing uncompressed video from those games and cleaning sprites from backgounds. But your way is much easier! ))
Blazier Jun 10, 2013 @ 10:35am 
I've updated the readme again. The extractor should work pretty flawlessly now, and the readme should be pretty clear and correct, too. Enjoy.
puggsoy Jun 12, 2013 @ 2:09am 
Prime job with this, very well done. As you might recognize by my username, I'm the guy from the Neverhood Community who wanted to make a similar program. I've actually gotten pretty far, the only issue being that as I'm using AS3, I'm having problems with DCL decompression. Everything I've tried either doesn't work or works partly (and yes, I do know about blast.c).

In any case, I was wondering if I could discuss this with you some more. I would like to either 1) make a GUI for this, or 2) ask you to help me with my own project. If you're interested feel free to add me as a friend and we can maybe chat sometime.
Showing 1-15 of 33 comments
< >
Per page: 15 30 50