This game has been Greenlit by the Community!

The community has shown their interest in this game. Valve has reached out to this developer to start moving things toward release on Steam.

Highland Wars
Matti  [developer] Jun 5, 2013 @ 11:40am
4th Siege Engine (Best Suggestions Win A Gift Key)
Suggest your ideas for the 4th siege engine type in Highland Wars. We will reward the 10 best suggestions with the Highland Wars gift keys.

The three already planned siege engines are:
Trebuchet (which you can use to throw rocks, wood, sheeps and Highlanders)
Battering Ram (to knock on the rivaling clan's gate)
Siege Tower (if you prefer to go over the wall and not through it)

We haven't set the deadline for the suggestions, but will start collecting the ideas soon(ish) so to increase your odds, be sure to be one of the first ones to suggest your idea!

We really don't have any limitations for the ideas but will pay attention on following things:
-Technical Challenge (i.e. insanely complex ideas won't shine here)
-Thematic Suitability (Will it fit in the levels and the overall style. Note that we already have a "blowtorch" in the siege engine workshop so we don't have strict historical guidelines whatsoever.)
-The Fun Factor (Is it fun?)
-Game Mechanics (Will it support the key features and mechanics of the game? Teamplay factor might be a key to success here.)
-Provided Info (A picture can be worth a thousand words but a thousand words can make our job more easier than a picture.)

This thread can also be found in our development forums [forums.highlandwars.com] and the final suggestions will be collected there. Good luck eveyone. Looking forward to hearing your ideas! :)
Showing 1-15 of 38 comments
< >
Monsieur Hon Hon Jun 5, 2013 @ 1:39pm 
I see you have a a coupld of siege engine that are good against the castle but none dedicated to eliminating infantry.

This game focus more on melee combat from what i can tell. I think the anti-infantry siege engine should be something that doenst have a lot of range. Therefore, i think a rolling wooden sheep that breath fire would be a good adition.

Its like a trojan horse but smaller. The head of the sheep is where the flame comes out and it have a limited reach on its own. The more players inside the sheep the faster it can rotate. To avoid making it boring inside the sheep, the passagers could be able to poke the enemie that get too close to the sheep (1 on each side and 1 in the back for a total of 4 players in the sheep).

I dont know if i made myself clear enough since english isnt my first language but I hope you guys will like my idea.
Necroscourge Jun 5, 2013 @ 6:35pm 
Bombard

A medium sized rolling primitive cannon belching fire and metal. The Bombard has three ammo types and is best utilized by two highlanders to knock over the walls or protect the bigger, heavier seige equipment.

Shrapnel:Anti Infantry, close range shotgun effect
Iron Ball: Anti-Structure
Alchemists Ball: Explosive, expensive projective that when making impact creates a temporary circle of flame that damages everything inside the aura.

-Requires one person to fire, up to two to move (Two is faster), and requires one person infront to reload thus Bombardss are best used by two highlanders. The loader gets to choose what ammo to use from the ammos he has with him. The Bombard always has Iron Ball availible.
-Difficult to use, as reloading can take a very long time and the Bombards range pales in comparison to a trebuchet. It makes up for this for being an effective deterrent to charges or bunched up enemies.
Retarg Jun 5, 2013 @ 8:19pm 
What about having a ballista that acts as an anti-seige/support weapon. It can be constructed either on the ground with wheels or as a stationary turret on the top of a wall.

Wheeled ones act as a mobile anti-infantary platform that be used by builders to defend each other while resources are harvested and can be wheeled up to the opponents castle to pick off archers on the tops of walls or players manning stationary turrets.

Ballistas that are built on the tops of walls can not move, but can shoot flaming arrows at battering rams, trebuchets and siege towers and burn them slowly to try to prevent siege attacks as well as be used to fend off infantry (fires on siege weapons could be extinguished by throwing water on them).

All ballista would need to be provided with a supply of arrows made in the base and for the stationary ones to shoot flaming arrows they would need to be restocked with pitch/oil/whatever makes them burn and have a fire nearby. All ballistas can be upgraded to shoot farther, do more damage and be reloaded faster. Other more expensive upgrades could include shooting multiple arrows, shooting many smaller arrows at the same time to be more effective against infantry or being able to build a small shield that protects the person operating the ballista with partial protection from ranged attacks.
chachi129 Jun 5, 2013 @ 8:31pm 
How about a 25 ft tall William Wallace character that players can spawn as? Like on the scene of Braveheart when the scottish all think William Wallace as some paranormal person, with special powers that help him defeat his adversaries. If you recall that scene, you can make him a giant that does thinks along the lines of the rumors spread by the soldiers, like devour enemies, throw his sword across the battlefield, or shoot lightning out of his "♥♥♥♥" (direct movie reference). I think that would be an awesome addition. Could be given abilities to help support against infantry or structures.
ScottishBlackWatch Jun 5, 2013 @ 9:34pm 
How about a giant fire lit rolling stone? Good versus infantry and gates. Popular in many old highland movies.
!3eleidiger Jun 6, 2013 @ 1:34am 
How about a simple small Outpost that can be Build at any Point of the Map it has 2 small Balistas to defend it and all Players can Spawn there so if you are able to Build it close to the Enemy's Gate all players have a shorter way to it but be careful the Outpost can be destroyd fast and need a good Protection!

Also i hope the Siege Weapons like Trebuchet is selectable to the defending Team too!

Than for defenders only maybe Burning Oil at the Walls to destroy the Battering Ram and deal Damage to Players also falling Rock-traps!

OK enouf crappy Idears for Today!^^
ThatSamu Jun 6, 2013 @ 1:58am 
@!3eleidiger: Currently all the vehicles are not "team-owned", which means that if you kill the players who are using the siege machine, you can grab it to yourself. Or, you can even go and push the catapult away when there is a enemy player shooting with it. Vehicles need teamwork, there needs to be someone defending them or the enemy may steal them and use them against you.
CRL.Gigamonk Jun 6, 2013 @ 4:06am 
what about something smaller to help get over the wall? I was thinking more like a ladder or a javilin you can try and get over the wall? A javlin could be doubled up as a wepon or maybe even a "flying machine" (maybe not that took them over a wall but it would be funny watching the highlanders crashing into each other >.<
Matti  [developer] Jun 6, 2013 @ 4:45am 
Originally posted by TorpedoHam:
...more like a ladder or a javilin you can try and get over the wall?
Ladder are already in the game. :)
Last edited by Matti; Jun 6, 2013 @ 4:45am
Arteus Jun 6, 2013 @ 3:59pm 
I expect the trebuchets to be able to fire massive balls of haggis. Do not let me down.
PurePerfection Jun 6, 2013 @ 6:55pm 
How about a barricade? It could be built in front of other siege weapons to protect them from a counter-attack, or maybe, on the defensive, before the castle walls to slow and/or "funnel" the enemy into killzones.
Butcher Jun 7, 2013 @ 1:00pm 
Wooden robot.
[AA] AuburnHamster Jun 7, 2013 @ 1:03pm 
a chariot more a vehicle than a seige weapon but can be used to let someone act as a taxi quickly ferrying men from the spawn to the battle more a weapon for the offensive team but mainly as a support vehicle its opentopped so the drivers are exposed to archer fire but it goes reasonably fast but if you run directly into enemies you do damage to them but lose all momentum as such being a chariot driver requires some skill as you need to skirt the side of the battle and the chariot can be upgraded to have kneecappers making a lot better for active combat in the meantime archers can hitch rides as a co-pilot sniping enemies as they drive by
TwinBladeGamer™ Jun 9, 2013 @ 12:35am 
A small cannon.
http://i.istockimg.com/file_thumbview_approve/4670318/2/stock-photo-4670318-old-cannon.jpg

But it has the chance for the barrel to overheat and explode on you! But if it succseeds will take down a wall! And everyone loves stuff going boom.

Thanks for your time

TwinBlade -
DrextheDude Jun 10, 2013 @ 12:54pm 
I know that the Scots utilized bolt firing Balistas in the 1300's. Granted more of an anti-infantry weapon, but could be tooled into a full on siege engine. Perhaps firing bolts with fire or Greek Fire.
Showing 1-15 of 38 comments
< >
Per page: 15 30 50