Help this game get on Steam!

Take a look around and learn about this game. If this is something you'd like to see available on Steam, you can help by rating it up using the buttons below. Click here to learn more about this process.

Subspace Continuum
Reikobi May 22, 2013 @ 6:35am
If you could give a piece of advice to a new player, what would it be?
This game can be confusing when you first hop in. There is immediately chaos all around you and ten-year veterans are lighting you up. Different zones have totally different settings and play styles. The controls are weird at first. Bombs are TAB. Repels are SHIFT+CTRL. New players sometimes leave and give up before they even know how to shoot. What advice would some of you vets give someone starting out?

(If you want to give advice that would only apply to a specific zone, make sure you say which zone it is.)

Mine: Remember that your ENERGY (or your HP) is drained when you shoot, not only when you're hit. Try to time your shots--don't just mindlessly and predictably spam bullets/bombs in someone's general direction and hope for the best. They'll dodge.
Last edited by Reikobi; May 22, 2013 @ 1:47pm
Showing 1-15 of 27 comments
< >
DatMusicGuy May 22, 2013 @ 7:19am 
Dont stop training, at first it will be hard but one day you will master the ships.
Pantha May 22, 2013 @ 9:04am 
It depends on what zone you start in I guess.. For Extreme Games, I would say get used to flying around and aiming. Try using a single bomb fighter such as the Warbird or Weasel to start with and try to kill some reds (flag carriers). Learn to watch for nearby teammates on your freq and learn to attach to them when you die to get back into the action asap.

Once you get used to the basic controls you can customise them to suit your playing style, and learn to use macros! ?buy energy is good for when you pick up flags.. Full energy and flags means you won't die in one hit :P
b00n May 22, 2013 @ 10:08am 
get good at talking ♥♥♥♥
Okkeloon May 22, 2013 @ 11:08am 
Toggling the F1 key is a great way to start! It gives the basic info you need on how to move, what keys to use for combat, info-commands, chat-system, squadrons, and much more.

Trees May 22, 2013 @ 11:09am 
Tell people that you're a beginner, most people will be glad to help.. :)
Last edited by KrynetiX; May 22, 2013 @ 12:57pm
KrynetiX  [developer] May 22, 2013 @ 1:03pm 
Just keep trying..
I remember when I first installed Continuum - I didn't like it! I was like "This is too hard, and flying is too hard, I cannot control my ship!" ..and it WAS hard. It IS hard to control your ship at first. Space physics is tricky until you get the hang of it.

So, when I first installed the game I played for about 10 minutes and exited out and said to myself "I'll never play this game again." HA! Like ever!

Then one day I was bored and decided to try again (I still had it installed). I spent a few hours in spawn-area in Trench Wars getting OWNED, but I eventually learned to control my ship. Once I got the hang of controlling my ship I was actually able to point and shoot at people and I started getting kills. Those first couple of kills feel good, it's empowering and addicting.

So, again, my advice is KEEP TRYING!!!
Once you learn how to control your ship you'll be able to get kills. Once you start getting kills you'll get the thrill of becoming skilled at something that was once hard. Once you become skilled you'll venture up into the base and REALLY start experiencing the game for what it is, and start to grasp other ships/aspects of the game. Once you grasp other ships/aspects of the game you'll venture off into other arenas and events.

It creeps up on you, but once you get there it's worth it and you'll never go back to other games. Subspace / Continuum is THE ONLY game I play.

- KrynetiX (Head of Trench Wars Development)
Last edited by KrynetiX; May 22, 2013 @ 1:07pm
Dead May 22, 2013 @ 8:25pm 
Speaking of awkward keys, anybody thought of remaking the standard key CFG?

Moving space to fire and ctrl to bomb lets you add in Alt, Z and X as accessible keys (rarely do you start a sentence with Z or X), while placing Shift in prime position, and opening Tab and Tilde/~ for functionals. 1-2-3-4-5-6-7-8-9-0 also open up great opportunities for functionals that aren't obscure such as Shift+Insert.
Neostar May 23, 2013 @ 12:23am 
Every zone is going to offer its own experience, emphasize its own style of play, and train you to develop certain skills (i.e. maneuvering through a labyrinth, perfecting the aim of bouncing weapons, dodging deadly bombs)

Most players bounce around between different zones, taking part in whatever activity appeals to them at the time. It's not unusual to have a regular zone, but don't think you've experienced everything until you actually do.

Try different zones; see what they all have to offer. In doing so you will not only find your niche, but you will develop into a well-rounded player that is fit for every situation. These are the kind of players that people want on their teams.
spawnieJESUS[A] - #tG May 23, 2013 @ 10:31am 
Every player was as new as you once. Some people maybe won't acknowledge it, but it's true. The only way you will get better is playing and playing some more, but don't worry. It's fun! Try many different zones, ships and arenas to find the one that you like and the one you are the best in. You will succeed!
Clover May 25, 2013 @ 12:47am 
Talk, Chat, and Ask questions. No matter the zone your in, there will almost always be someone there willing to mentor you and help you get into the game. Teach you the lingo, etc. When in Doubt, Press F1 to read through the in-game guide.
Eren May 25, 2013 @ 8:53am 
Change your attach key, don't get used to F7.
mell0w May 25, 2013 @ 3:29pm 
in addition to changing your attach key to something that isn't annoyingly out of place, also don't neglect it when in trench wars ;P all the fun is in base
OCTOPUS May 26, 2013 @ 3:19pm 
Ask questions
Grenadebot Jun 3, 2013 @ 2:32pm 
Advice? If you use the Jav, you're a ♥♥♥♥♥.
mci Jun 3, 2013 @ 10:01pm 
Pretend you're a girl, and you'll get any squad to recruit/train you. Then re-alias once you're good, and post your chat logs of the people who tried to get with you.
Showing 1-15 of 27 comments
< >
Per page: 15 30 50