Help this game get on Steam!

Take a look around and learn about this game. If this is something you'd like to see available on Steam, you can help by rating it up using the buttons below. Click here to learn more about this process.

Istaria: Chronicles of the Gifted
PapaShango Feb 20 @ 5:05pm
Questions from an old Horizons: Istaria player
Istaria aka Horizons was probably one if not my favorite MMo of all time, the crafting and building was far beyond what pretty much all games at current offer at least in an MMO atmosphere, I had played the buggy original for years until it was just a desolate world for hardcore RPG'ers.

My question is how has this game change over the last ten years? And why has the game not taken a more drastic direction and moved towards a new game on a new more up to date engine...but at the same core aspects that made Horizons/Istaria so much fun? I mean This game with a enw engine, maybe slightly more intuitive combat, a larger world and well everything else identical to how Istaria was or is atm...would be the game atm the masses would flock too!!

I feel that this game will only ever achieve a moderate success in its state...and I am not saying that ther eis anything wrong with the game I am just saying that it is dated and that a new version, new engine...new lifeline would only be the best thing that could happen to Istaria.

I could just Imagine now playing a dragon on a new engine in a beautiful world with realistic fire and animations...dreams...hot dreams lol.

regardless I voted Yes for the Green light and if you have no interest in a new version as stated above, I wish you the best of luck with this one...Istaria will alwaya remain one of the best in my MMO life.
Showing 1-2 of 2 comments
< >
Virtrium  [developer] Jun 7 @ 4:10am 
There's been a lot of updates over the years. You can view the specific details of each update at the community site. {LINK REMOVED - Please don't spam, and be wary of scams.}http://goo.gl/nMMB5Z

The tools for creating game content in Istaria are very refined, and well known, which allows the developers to keep a steady stream of updates happening. The team aims for 3-4 major updates per year.

As for an updated game engine, that's a big project, but has been heavily discussed and explored. The team behind Istaria is dedicated to making the next 10 years happen. Once more details are ironed out, and there's a clear path, more details will be released.

Below is a very condensed summary of the last few years
== 2014 ==
- The new player experience has seen improvements with the introduction of lower tier equipment on vendors in New Trismus, Kion, Sslanis and Dalimond.
- Daily Quests: The reintroduction of Town Marshall quests to all of the Town Marshalls of Istaria in the form of quests that can be repeated once per day and will both aid players in leveling and provide them with Tokens of Gratitude. These tokens can be exchanged for a wide variety of gear and equipment.
- Even more area revamps with an overhaul of the Island of Ice.
- Emblems no longer take up inventory space and can instead be converted to special Title Abilities.
- A Memorial Island was created for players who wish to build a plot memorializing those who have passed on from the land of Istaria.
- And more to come later this year!!!

== 2013 ==
- PETS! Yes, that’s right, Istarians can now have pets following them. Some are earned through quests, while others are given out as a reward for Loyalty Tokens.
- A new school has been added for Dragon Lairshaper’s who have obtained sufficient levels: the Crystalshaper school. Through this school dragons are able to use their Crystalshaping ability to craft a wide variety of crystals used by both bipeds and dragons during battle.
- Gnomekindle, the Winter Festival, returned and with it some new items for player plots including: An ice-skating pond, snow-covered houses and walls made of ice!
- The number of hotkey bars in the game client was increased from 10 to 20!
- Quests and new monsters added to the Eastern Wastes. Help the residents of the Eastern Outpost in their fight against the machinations of The Disgraced Cabal.
- The Healer adventurer school was given a facelift to improve its overall effectiveness and fun. Other schools which were also revamped included Sorcerer, Battle Mage, Paladin, Monk, Disciple schools as well as some changes to the Dragon Adventurer school.
- A new festival was added in the spring, the Eoster Festival, which celebrates new life and new beginnings across Istaria. This means that each season now has it’s own festival. The spring and fall festivals are celebrated on New Brommel. The summer and winter ones are held on New Korelia.

== 2012 ==
- The Fall Festival (known as Hammer's Rest) moved from Aughundell to the island of New Brommel. New murals for lairs, Banners for plots, and a line of Fall clothing (for both Dragons and Bipeds) were introduced.
- Broken Items for Dragons were added to the loot tables. Broken Items are a type of loot that must be collected and re-assembled before it can be used.
- A round of plot consolidation was completed, removing over 200 plots, resizing the remaining ones and repricing plots around Istaria to make them more affordable to all - ranging from a mere 200 silver to 2.5 gold!.
- Lesser Aradoth was given a massive facelift including monster spawn changes, new and improved quests and more. Other areas of the world were also given a facelift, such as Scorpion Island, the Valley of Repose, etc.
- Object Fading was introduced into the game client, allowing objects to fade into the scene instead of popping.
- New slash commands include /lastTarget and /cycleNearestCorpse.

== 2011 ==
- Bloodmage adventure school was overhauled to make it more fun and engaging!
- New (and existing) adventure areas were added or updated including the Barrier Vale (Tier 6 adventure area), the Yew Forest, and two mini-dungeons called the Tomb of Helian and Ashlander’s Tomb. In total more than 40 new quests were added for these areas!
- Alloyed metals were removed from the game (and there was much rejoicing)!
- Ancient Rite of Passage was revamped to make it easier for players to understand and complete with less “breakage”.
- The Summer Event, Pax Istaria, returned with a vengeance, including new plot structures (such as a Bonfire, Hammock and more!), banners, murals, masks, clothing and more!
Rewrote and added many Dragon adventurer ability quests.
- New plot structures were added including a Clock Tower, Wheelbarrows, Vaults, and Decorative Tiles.
- The Portal system was overhauled creating two “hubs” (Bristugo and Genevia) making the entire system far more consistent, predictable and friendly.
- Revamped the entire loot system, rearranging what drops and from whom, and making it more consistent overall. In the process a new type of loot was introduced, called Broken Items (for bipedal races).
- Added an indicator above a NPC’s head when they have a quest available and when the player has a quest step for that NPC.

== 2010 ==
- The Dalimond Peninsula (Tier 2) was entirely overhauled. The New peninsula includes more than 200 quests, many new adventure locations, and numerous new stories, rewards and monsters.
- The Rite of Passage was given a major facelift, making it more streamlined and less prone to “breakage”.
- The Scholar trade school was updated, adding scrolls (spells inscribed onto papyrus sheets that can be traded or sold to other players) to the school’s repertoire.

== 2009 ==
- Dralnok’s Doom, a massive underground cavern and T5/T6 adventure area, was added to the game. The first “dungeon” in Istaria, it is for high level players includes more than 50 story-driven quests, new epic abilities and spells, a new epic boss (Shaloth the Queen), a new town called Delgarath, and numerous opportunities for adventure and crafting.
- Treasure Chests, an all new way of getting loot was added along with crafted keys. Beware! Some treasure chests may fight back, they are merely monsters who mimic the appearance of real chests.
daulnay Sep 2 @ 1:56pm 
Istaria has stayed alive because of the dedication of its players and its developers. After most of the 2nd gen games have died and disappeared, Istaria remains. For many players, it's the community, and being able to play a Dragon. But Istaria other things you won't find elsewhere; a unique system of broad customization for equipment and spells, the ability to permanently change the landscape (OK, Minecraft has it, but it's not an MMO), and a complex and interesting multi-classing system for non-Dragons.

I suspect that new graphics or a new engine have just been financially impossible for the developers. It's clear that new graphics, etc. would help sell the game to people who were infants when the game was released, as well as to adults who missed it then. Some of the gameplay has been overhauled, but the things that make it worth playing have stayed. And those do not depend on sparkly graphics. They're also what keep people playing after a decade, when a pretty graphic skin grows stale.
Showing 1-2 of 2 comments
< >
Per page: 15 30 50