Help this game get on Steam!

Take a look around and learn about this game. If this is something you'd like to see available on Steam, you can help by rating it up using the buttons below. Click here to learn more about this process.

Virtual Pool 4
Cyrus9mm Aug 7 @ 6:54am
VP4 multiplayer fees
Hi,
Looking forward to seeing this on Steam. I've just tried out VP4 Online and would like to know if free multiplayer will be available in this release or will there always be a yearly fee for fully-featured online VP4?
Thanks.
Last edited by Cyrus9mm; Aug 7 @ 5:23pm
Showing 1-8 of 8 comments
< >
pooljunky  [developer] Aug 7 @ 4:47pm 
Most likely, there will always be a low yearly fee for full access.
Cyrus9mm Aug 7 @ 5:32pm 
That's interesting. What if, for example, you get greenlight and sell 10,000 copies at $20 (entirely possible). Even then, will online still require a yearly subscription? Surely, at some point, the money made from selling offline vp4 would cover the server hosting costs for years?
Maybe even consider free mp but run a donations setup like some people do.

I've seen a lot of pc games developers underestimate the demand for their game, making lots of money but being entirely unprepared for demand.
Look at Pure Pool. Decent pool game with flaws. Yours is much better. Steam wants a great pool game but Steam users will tear you apart if the payment system isn't to their liking and in line with other online games. (and vp4 isn't in line with other online games right now).

I want vp4 to succeed on steam and i want the community to blossom but i fear that the current payment system will turn people off.
Last edited by Cyrus9mm; Aug 7 @ 5:38pm
Andrew Aug 8 @ 5:11am 
Subscription and "F2P" (free to play) models are quite common among games these days. Not always executed well but many are trying. Team Fortress 2 and Dota 2, two of the most popular games on Steam, are F2P.
pooljunky  [developer] Aug 12 @ 6:04pm 
They are two separate products with two separate business models. As Andrew said, the online is a F2P/service model. Some players on Steam may be surprised at this as you were. But if you look at our online it is very extensive, not just a simple P2P, and it also has a social network, and we are continuing to enhance it. Remember, you can do online and play for free, payment is not required.
Cyrus9mm Aug 13 @ 4:42am 
Yeah, I was on the online game for a couple of days to see what it was like. It's so limited for gratis players that it's like a demo, really. TF2 and DOTA are fully featured F2P but Valve are huge and can afford to do it.. Their large player base means micro-transactions work for them.
I'll get VP4 offline when it's on here. Thanks for your comments.
Last edited by Cyrus9mm; Aug 13 @ 4:45am
Miro Sato Aug 17 @ 5:01am 
I was interested until I read about online fees. Voted no.
Razonix Aug 28 @ 10:59am 
Aye, that's quite a turnoff. I still think that the Workshop idea suggested by 3DuFF was a good option instead of yearly fees (at least for Steam), especially because if this game eventually get greenlit in here, it won't be the first nor the only pool game available for other players, even if it has the best playability. Regardless, I'm with Cyrus9mm, I'll go for the VP4 offline.
pooljunky  [developer] Sep 16 @ 1:15pm 
$9.95 for a year is a pretty good deal. This game isn't like the ones you play for a week and then get tired of it. Many of our player are online 10 hours a week or more and have been for years.
Last edited by pooljunky; Sep 16 @ 1:15pm
Showing 1-8 of 8 comments
< >
Per page: 15 30 50