This game has been Greenlit by the Community!

The community has shown their interest in this game. Valve has reached out to this developer to start moving things toward release on Steam.

SoundSelf
Blue Kachina Oct 13, 2013 @ 7:48am
Is this really a game, or just fun software?
I'm one of your backers, and I like what I've seen of your software so far. I must say though, that I'm a little confused about this 'game'. I've done a lot of experimentation with sound myself, and think that this looks a lot like stuff that I've done with Winamp in the past. Many people know that you can set up winamp to display visualizations based on the music going through it (and it has some exceptionally beautiful ones -- thank you Ryan Geiss!). Most of those people however, will not know that you can set up Winamp to accept a line-in (specify "linein://" as the location to open). Once you do this, the visualizations will actually react to your input which is pretty amazing. Is your software essentially doing this kind of thing, but also adding VST effects to the voice? Is it reading pitch/timbre/velocity of the voice, and synthesizing new sounds using those variables? Very curious.
Showing 1-6 of 6 comments
< >
CaptainValor Oct 13, 2013 @ 8:26pm 
When I played it, there was something that seemed more than just purely reactionary about SoundSelf. It "nudged" me in certain directions harmonically, and "played" with me as I "responded." So tough to describe, but it definitely felt like an interaction. More than just a visualization.

So yeah, I'd call it a game.
RAGameSound  [developer] Oct 15, 2013 @ 1:47pm 
CaptainValor is right - it's not strictly a visualization system (although that's a really common misunderstanding of the experience, and one we desperately have to correct in the way we describe the game). I sort of think of SoundSelf as dancing with you, responding to you, and guiding you deeper and deeper into the rabbit hole.

Technically what's going on is this:

Imagine a 2 dimensional plane - like the map of a garden. Different points on that two dimensional plane will give you a different experience. There's a pond over here, some crickets over there, a bed of grass in the corner.

Technically, interacting with SoundSelf is sort of like taking a walk through that garden. Except instead of a garden, it's a plane of abstract audio/visual possibility. And instead of walking through it, you're falling through it (much less direct and intentional control), and instead of 2 dimensions it's about 30 dimensions.

We're tracking all sorts of tendencies in your vocal expression - tendency in use of pitch, in timbre, in rhythm, and we use that data to control movement through these 30 or so dimensions. Finally, when certain parameters are met, we change the map. You can think of that as sort of an analog to story progression.

That said, the current version only has one "map" and only tracks pitch - these other aspects are things we're working on right now.

And what makes it work as well as it does is this: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/updates/130103919/1379530522

The "game' term is something I have a sort of uneasy relationship with. The other two terms I grapple with are "toy" and "tool".

I don't like "toy" because I think that suggests a casual relationship with the player, and I don't like "tool" because I think that suggests it's prime function is in service of something external to the experience itself (i.e. meditation practice, which it is great for, but I sort of think of meditation-tool as a subset of what SoundSelf is).

But I do like "game" - even though there are no explicit goals, "game" suggests to me a self-contained interactive experience, and I like that.

But more and more I think the word confuses people. And I may start calling it an "experience" - which is more accurate but also sounds sort of corporate-gimicky to me :-/.

Thank you for your notes and curiosity!
Blue Kachina Oct 16, 2013 @ 8:37am 
Thanks for the detailed explanation, that definitely helps.
It sounds like a musical equivalent to a choose your own adventure book.
:)
RAGameSound  [developer] Oct 17, 2013 @ 9:04am 
YEAH! I like that!
egobeats Jan 29 @ 6:24pm 
Is this ARML or something different?
Fluiq Mar 12 @ 12:30pm 
I paid for the alpha acces today and tried the "game" a bit, I couldn't get the 3D to work, I have a interlaced 3d screen (Acer GR235H), sadly this screen lacks a bit of options so I will have to play it in 2d for now.

I opened CreatorPack_Trioxy.bat, and it looks really interesting, I really have no idea what to do with it though, but I am guessing it is to link sound effects together.

I'm looking forward to the finished version.
Showing 1-6 of 6 comments
< >
Per page: 15 30 50