This game is now available on Steam!

Thanks for your help in getting this game selected for distribution via Steam. More information including a link to the Steam store page can be found below.

Dreamfall Chapters: The Longest Journey
Chewingum Aug 26, 2013 @ 5:56pm
Will Dreamfall miss its potential mark?
TLJ - a puzzle game, brilliantly delivered with wonderful voice acting and graphics for the time. The puzzles were quite good as the genre goes, and led the player somewhat logically.

Dreamfall - a semi-action casual story game. While it had puzzles, they were few and far between, some control flaws made puzzles out of spots that shouldn't have been. The story was not as well thought out, it did not have the same circular theme that TLJ did, which is fine, except it was simply a hodge-podge of unpleasant controls and half-finished game elements (like the combat) It needed A theme!

Dreamfall Chapters has the potential now to be a comeback for the company and the genre! From what I saw of the developer session (Rezzed 2013) I think the game is going in the wrong direction. Sadly this is the direciton the fans are asking for!! Take a look if you don't believe me at the coments here on greenlight:

146 replies to "zoe is ugly" and then many many responses to try and get it in different languages. Praise is specled in beyond that. No mention of actual suggestions for improvement. Everybody is telling the developers how amazing they are and how happy they are with the games.

I heard no mention of puzzles in the Developer Session. Perhaps this is now strictly a story game with action bits, but I would find that very disappointing given the roots of the game. Adventure must mean more than talking to people and being guided through a series of choices. What is a game without a few challenges?! Deponia has combined the elements of story telling and puzzling marvelously!! I believe this game has the potential to be even better by allowing the player to branch out and explore the world to a greater depth than ever before, and to be sure the worlds are both wonders. At the end of the day though, interjections and tid-bits that loosely relate to an overall plot do NOT weave a story! That is the impression that I got from the developer session. I beg you, hire some story writers... some dang good ones! and after that call up the folks who designed the puzzles in the first game and bring them back! Solidify a single concept, and don't make the mistake Dreamfall did by trying to add too many elements that couldn't be explored.

My heart fluttered a little when I saw this had been greenlighted because TLJ is without a doubt my favorite game, adventure or otherwise. My concern is that it's just going to be what the fans want, not what they need: A clever, creative, beutiful, meaningful puzzle game.
Showing 1-2 of 2 comments
< >
Sway Jan 2 @ 3:02am 
Point and click adventures are all but dead. Longest Journey was the culmination and pinnacle of 15+ years of adventure puzzlers.

I've been waiting too long...and I'm far too jaded... they just don't cut games from the same cloth anymore.
Jedted Jan 24 @ 5:03pm 
Originally posted by Sway:
Point and click adventures are all but dead. Longest Journey was the culmination and pinnacle of 15+ years of adventure puzzlers.

There are still quite a few point n' click games out there, you just gotta know where to look. Wadjet Eye has done a lot of them(Gemini Rue for instance).
Showing 1-2 of 2 comments
< >
Per page: 15 30 50